Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 10,583 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to Miami for the first time and would like suggestions. I will need to commute every day to Dolphin Mall area (west) but I am afraid that's a bad area to actually live in. I really like Brickell Downtown, but I am afraid of the commute from Brickell to Dolphin Mall every morning and then back. Any suggestions on how bad it actually is, and if is there another nice area that I should consider to not deal with too much traffic if so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 08:54 AM

278 posts, read 316,580 times
The area around dolphin Mall is not bad at all. Very suburban and quiet around the Doral area.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the traffic is too bad?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 AM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
The traffic isn't usually bad in that direction, but most people choose to live by the Dolphin rather than live in Brickell because of the nice, quiet neighborhoods and good schools. If you're looking to live nearby in a sophisticated setting like Brickell... Downtown Doral, Doral's City Place and Oasis would be smarter choices.

Downtown Doral - Life Redefined - Live, Work, Play and Learn

Some folks are invetiably going to recommend moving to Broward... also a decent option, but you will be stuck in rush hour traffic, and it's 100% suburban.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 AM

378 posts, read 486,528 times
A big part of the commute time will be the time of day you are travelling and if school has started or not.

Brickell to Dolphin Mall area around 8AM will be a 30-35 minute trip based on tommorows ETA's and seems to be a somewhat straight shot via 836. I would believe you are going against the traffic flow (Turnpike/826 to Downtown) so it should be a fairly smooth drive once you get out of the local traffic.

I'm only familiar with the parts further south (Pinecrest/Palemtto Bay/Cutler Bay) and you would likely be looking at a worse commute time (My wife worked in the same area and hated the commute - Could take anywhere between 35-180 minutes)

Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
A big part of the commute time will be the time of day you are travelling and if school has started or not.

Brickell to Dolphin Mall area around 8AM will be a 30-35 minute trip based on tommorows ETA's and seems to be a somewhat straight shot via 836. I would believe you are going against the traffic flow (Turnpike/826 to Downtown) so it should be a fairly smooth drive once you get out of the local traffic.

I'm only familiar with the parts further south (Pinecrest/Palemtto Bay/Cutler Bay) and you would likely be looking at a worse commute time (My wife worked in the same area and hated the commute - Could take anywhere between 35-180 minutes)
That's very helpful , was she commuting from further south? 180 min sounds insane. Google maps say about 20-35min on a rush hour from Brickell but considering everyone says traffic is horrible I am afraid that google is not being realistic so any advice is welcome. Also, do you know if tolls are something too expensive? It seems like all routes from Brickell area to west pass through tolls.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
The traffic isn't usually bad in that direction, but most people choose to live by the Dolphin rather than live in Brickell because of the nice, quiet neighborhoods and good schools. If you're looking to live nearby in a sophisticated setting like Brickell... Downtown Doral, Doral's City Place and Oasis would be smarter choices.

Downtown Doral - Life Redefined - Live, Work, Play and Learn

Some folks are invetiably going to recommend moving to Broward... also a decent option, but you will be stuck in rush hour traffic, and it's 100% suburban.
Thanks so much!
I am undecided. Brickell seems more my style, I am used to big cities like NYC. But If the commute will take most of my day I would take it off the question. 30min sounds reasonable but I am afraid It would be more than that.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:23 AM

653 posts, read 816,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernewuser View Post
Hi, I am moving to Miami for the first time and would like suggestions. I will need to commute every day to Dolphin Mall area (west) but I am afraid that's a bad area to actually live in. I really like Brickell Downtown, but I am afraid of the commute from Brickell to Dolphin Mall every morning and then back. Any suggestions on how bad it actually is, and if is there another nice area that I should consider to not deal with too much traffic if so?
Here is a suggestion,

DONT MOVE HERE. And the traffic is bad everywhere here so it really doesnt matter. You will deal with a lot of traffic, one way or another. ITS UNAVOIDABLE

Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 AM

378 posts, read 486,528 times
Quote:
That's very helpful , was she commuting from further south?
She was commuting from Cutler Bay to Doral, with local traffic to/from the highway accounting for 10-15 minutes of that commute.

Quote:
180 min sounds insane.
It is, but unfortunately if there is inclement weather, accidents or road closures your commute will be severely impacted.

Quote:
Google maps say about 20-35min on a rush hour from Brickell
Thats why I wen't on the high side at 30-35 minutes I haven't been back in a few months but I frequently take the 836/826 to get from the airport to the office which covers some of your proposed commute and it wasn't too bad in that direction.

Quote:
Also, do you know if tolls are something too expensive? It seems like all routes from Brickell area to west pass through tolls.
I rarely encountered any tolls (I lived about 2 miles from the office). Between my wifes commute and our weekend travels/outings I would frequently see our SunPass replenishments top $100+/month. I came across an app named TollSmart for another person inquiring which covers most of the toll roadways to give you an idea on cost if you want to check it out.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
Here is a suggestion,

DONT MOVE HERE. And the traffic is bad everywhere here so it really doesnt matter. You will deal with a lot of traffic, one way or another. ITS UNAVOIDABLE
You mean Miami general or Doral?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami