Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 PM

242 posts, read 753,403 times

Advertisements

From my experience, Miami (specifically Miami Beach) has some of the cleanest, tastiest tap water I've experienced almost anywhere I've been. Why is that typical flat, sulphur and chlorine Florida water taste absent from Miami water? Is it the source of the water or how it is treated? Also, any info on the water hardness? The water is definitely not "hard" but not super soft either. However, I couldn't find a level or hardness range so any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 09:25 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,324,926 times
I remember reading because of the water table or aquafier that is under neath Miami which is why we have such clean water. Its actually one of the best parts of Miami...clean water, clean air, etc.

I think the most disgusting water is in West Palm. Even Ft Laud tastes different, but in Miami, I can go to any water fountain at a gym, publix, aventura mall, etc. and it tastes great and refreshing. When I visit family in Orlando, I forget I'm not in Miami and go to a fountain and want to spit it out.

"An article in Forbes concluded the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area was fourth in water quality based on a 2007 University of Cincinnati study of 12 contaminants."

Old 08-23-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I remember reading because of the water table or aquafier that is under neath Miami which is why we have such clean water. Its actually one of the best parts of Miami...clean water, clean air, etc.

I think the most disgusting water is in West Palm. Even Ft Laud tastes different, but in Miami, I can go to any water fountain at a gym, publix, aventura mall, etc. and it tastes great and refreshing. When I visit family in Orlando, I forget I'm not in Miami and go to a fountain and want to spit it out.

"An article in Forbes concluded the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area was fourth in water quality based on a 2007 University of Cincinnati study of 12 contaminants."
I agree 100% about the water in other parts of Florida... the water in Palm Beach County is alright (I have family there). I believe the county softens it, too, which makes it better to use. However, it still has that slight sulphur taste and smell which I hate! From my experience, the further north you go, the harder and more disgusting the water is! Orlando water is awful, and so is Jacksonville. To be honest a lot of it comes down to how they treat it in each area and if they do or do not soften.

Miami water tastes cleaner than NY water to me... it is really good. I agree.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael3512 View Post
I agree 100% about the water in other parts of Florida... the water in Palm Beach County is alright (I have family there). I believe the county softens it, too, which makes it better to use.
When we lived there in 2009, we always complained how awful it was and used bottle water for everything. Then a study came out that showed the amount of pollutants/contaminants coming from the lake or somewhere. I'm sure by now the City has taken steps to make it better.

From my travels in the continental U.S, Miami has the best by far.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
When we lived there in 2009, we always complained how awful it was and used bottle water for everything. Then a study came out that showed the amount of pollutants/contaminants coming from the lake or somewhere. I'm sure by now the City has taken steps to make it better.

From my travels in the continental U.S, Miami has the best by far.

Did you live in West Palm Beach in 2009? Sorry, just got a little confused as to where you are talking about.

If so, then yes, I agree that since I have been visiting family in that area, the water has improved drastically. The water still has a slight sulfur taste, but it is certainly drinkable from the faucet. I called the PBC water authority and they said the hardness is 3.6-4.7 (from what I remember) grains per gallon, which translates to 60-80 ppm (which is on the lower side). As I said, I believe many of the areas around Florida soften their water as part of the treatment process. I don't like any degree of hardness in my water, so I would still soften even 60-80ppm - that is just a personal preference. There is minimal to no calcium buildup in sinks and tubs, which means that the water is not VERY hard.

I was very impressed with Miami's water - I agree with you. I believe it tastes even cleaner than NYC water, which to me has a bit of rust/earthy taste and chlorine taste. Miami water has NO taste at all, not even chlorine. They must treat it really well. It definitely does have some minerals/hardness to it (I can tell when I shower), but I would not classify it as hard water (maybe medium).

Old 09-04-2017, 08:47 AM

I ate in a restaurant in the hotel I was staying in, which was in Miami Beach, and I had asked for water. The waitress brought over a bottle of water, and I asked, "Can I please have tap water?" The waitress gave me some BS about how they can't guarantee the tap water is 100% "safe" to drink... give me a break. I knew that was a lie. Little did she know, I am very interested in water quality and look into it everywhere I go. Plus, there are few to no places in the U.S. where you cannot drink tap water.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael3512 View Post
I ate in a restaurant in the hotel I was staying in, which was in Miami Beach, and I had asked for water. The waitress brought over a bottle of water, and I asked, "Can I please have tap water?" The waitress gave me some BS about how they can't guarantee the tap water is 100% "safe" to drink... give me a break. I knew that was a lie. Little did she know, I am very interested in water quality and look into it everywhere I go. Plus, there are few to no places in the U.S. where you cannot drink tap water.
Wow, that's a new/good one! Way to jack up that bill for a higher Auto-Grat!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's a new/good one! Way to jack up that bill for a higher Auto-Grat!
Seriously! Very pushy, then again, I've noticed a lot of these people are trying to make a quick buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami