Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times

Advertisements

I was just looking through some of my emergency supplies that I brought when I moved from Miami to SC. I'd forgotten about some of the stuff I had (or accumulated) after Andrew. I haven't needed to use much of anything since moving here, thankfully. I know, if we get any of this storm up here and should we lose power, I know I'm good. Maybe a bit too prepared, if that's possible

Sadly, my sister who is in Miami (and staying) isn't as prepared.

To give you an idea of some of what's in my emergency pile...

Butane burner and cans of butane fuel. Was great during Andrew!
Collapsible 5 gallon water containers (never used)
Solar shower (never used)
Battery powered fans
Candles
Matches in Ziploc bag
Rain poncho
Solar lantern
Batteries and flashlights of various kinds
1500W battery generator (not gas powered, so I can have it in my house) This is a great item to have, but, I haven't used it in years so not sure if it will recharge.
Solar radio
Had a regular generator but left it in FL when I moved.

Of course, I have lots of canned foods, and always make sure I have some emergency cash.

Yeah...I know, it's a lot, but if I was still in SoFla it would be helpful.

So, I was wondering...how prepared are you??? What items do you have that you know will help you after this passes through? What do you wish you had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Canned food, chips, water, beer...that is all I need. I also have powercells for the cell phones and candles. I am in the evac zone in a high rise. But not leaving, rather stay. I do not mind climbing stairs if the power is out for a long period of time.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:26 AM

472 posts, read 325,152 times
What percentage of people in Miami are staying?

Old 09-08-2017, 06:24 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
What percentage of people in Miami are staying?
I don't think they can figure that out for a long time, if at all. Everyone I know is staying,unfortunately. Now I have to worry about my son and friend who love in Midtown Atlanta among lots of construction and cranes all over. Nothing compared to my worry of my sister and nieces in Kendall

Old 09-08-2017, 06:45 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Canned food, chips, water, beer...that is all I need. I also have powercells for the cell phones and candles. I am in the evac zone in a high rise. But not leaving, rather stay. I do not mind climbing stairs if the power is out for a long period of time.
Just an fyi, higher elevations (such as upper floors in a high rise), receive stronger winds. Be safe!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I was just looking through some of my emergency supplies that I brought when I moved from Miami to SC. I'd forgotten about some of the stuff I had (or accumulated) after Andrew. I haven't needed to use much of anything since moving here, thankfully. I know, if we get any of this storm up here and should we lose power, I know I'm good. Maybe a bit too prepared, if that's possible

Sadly, my sister who is in Miami (and staying) isn't as prepared.

To give you an idea of some of what's in my emergency pile...

Butane burner and cans of butane fuel. Was great during Andrew!
Collapsible 5 gallon water containers (never used)
Solar shower (never used)
Battery powered fans
Candles
Matches in Ziploc bag
Rain poncho
Solar lantern
Batteries and flashlights of various kinds
1500W battery generator (not gas powered, so I can have it in my house) This is a great item to have, but, I haven't used it in years so not sure if it will recharge.
Solar radio
Had a regular generator but left it in FL when I moved.

Of course, I have lots of canned foods, and always make sure I have some emergency cash.

Yeah...I know, it's a lot, but if I was still in SoFla it would be helpful.

So, I was wondering...how prepared are you??? What items do you have that you know will help you after this passes through? What do you wish you had?
Not in Florida but i would add life-vests, 1st aid kit, water proof wallet to store IDs and phone.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:19 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,433 times
I would add weaponary such as a pump shot gun and a trusty revolver like a S&W .357, and a Kings James Bible.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 AM

613 posts, read 360,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I don't think they can figure that out for a long time, if at all. Everyone I know is staying,unfortunately. Now I have to worry about my son and friend who love in Midtown Atlanta among lots of construction and cranes all over. Nothing compared to my worry of my sister and nieces in Kendall
By the time it gets to Atlanta, it will be Cat 1...cranes will easily stand. Now the ones in Brickell/Downtown Miami, I don't want to even think about.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:40 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I would add weaponary such as a pump shot gun and a trusty revolver like a S&W .357, and a Kings James Bible.
Biblical....

Old 09-08-2017, 09:35 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Well at least one of those could be used as emergency toilet paper......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami