Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,610 times

Advertisements

why are all the jobs in Miami so low paying, seems like the rich are all from a different state or just flashing there cars. lots of people work 2 jobs live with roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 05:40 PM

68 posts, read 68,442 times
From my own research, about 70% of Miamians have, at most, a HS diploma*. I don't think the culture of actually living in Miami (or most of Florida while I'm at it) includes or even endorses getting a college education (with the exception of Central Florida, maybe). With great schools like FIU, U Miami, and FAU right down the street, college educations have to be seen as a valuable experience that, regardless of the debt that comes with it, leads to a more beneficial career. I don't live there yet, but from what I can see, that change is already happening.

*source- https://statisticalatlas.com/place/F...nal-Attainment

Old 11-12-2017, 05:50 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,648,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingonup86 View Post
why are all the jobs in Miami so low paying, seems like the rich are all from a different state or just flashing there cars. lots of people work 2 jobs live with roommates.
Miami's economy is majority relied on tourism and foreigners buying condos, that's one part. The second is most people are uneducated, (I.E dropouts or only went to H.S) and minimum wage being low. Most rich people are from outside state, that's common in Miami. For people here, most are poor but will go out often/take out loans and be in high debt in order to fit into the consumer consumption life that Miami is. It's sad that you're in a city where most jobs are $10/H and average rent is way past $1600. Maybe it'll change soon, but that's what I was told nearly a decade ago and still, nothing has changed.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:15 PM

68 posts, read 68,442 times
To add on, about 62.5% of people living in the entire area (From the Keys all the way to Jupiter) don't have a college degree*. Ouch.

*source- https://statisticalatlas.com/metro-a...nal-Attainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Miami's economy is majority relied on tourism and foreigners buying condos, that's one part. The second is most people are uneducated, (I.E dropouts or only went to H.S) and minimum wage being low. Most rich people are from outside state, that's common in Miami. For people here, most are poor but will go out often/take out loans and be in high debt in order to fit into the consumer consumption life that Miami is. It's sad that you're in a city where most jobs are $10/H and average rent is way past $1600. Maybe it'll change soon, but that's what I was told nearly a decade ago and still, nothing has changed.
Very true! Hoping to see diversification of jobs soon. Some companies (AutoNation, Sixt) are expanding or building headquarters here, so hopefully this trend continues.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:33 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,648,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWtoPHX View Post
To add on, about 62.5% of people living in the entire area (From the Keys all the way to Jupiter) don't have a college degree*. Ouch.

*source- https://statisticalatlas.com/metro-a...nal-Attainment

Very true! Hoping to see diversification of jobs soon. Some companies (AutoNation, Sixt) are expanding or building headquarters here, so hopefully this trend continues.
I find with Miami, not only the city but metro is that after a trend hits elsewhere, the city picks up after, or even development. For example, tech, cities have been investing in tech for 5-10 years and Miami is slowly starting. Or with development, Brickell City Centre is known to be "unique" yet cities have made concepts like this 30-40 years ago. There are more examples as well, but I want to keep the post short. But yes it should diversify soon, but Miami is well behind many cities, so when this city gets into tech, others will be investing in the other trend and so on.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:42 AM

289 posts, read 304,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingonup86 View Post
There simply aren't a whole lot of jobs in South Florida that aren't geared towards either serving tourists/wealthy out-of-towners or are Latin American coordination offices for large companies. Which makes sense - Miami is far as hell away from pretty much anything else. It's a good 8 hours of driving just to get out of Florida. So you don't see a lot of industry and corporate offices down here. It's changing slowly - healthcare is huge because of all the retirees, and technology has gotten to the point where starting a company here is viable and the distance isn't nearly as big an issue.

That said, there's a reason people say "make your money somewhere else and come to Miami to spend it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami