U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 3,546 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I read here sometimes but never have posted. Anyways, I accepted a job in Miami and start in a week and a half. I'm looking for areas to live. My job is directly to the west of Miami international airport in Doral, pretty close to the airport. I'm 28, make $76,000, and looking for a house to rent under $2000 a month (alone).

I know Miami has some of the worst traffic in the country. It'd be great to find somewhere within 45 minutes commute but I won't be able to make any dry-runs due to not living there yet and starting work almost immediately when I arrive. So my question is, what areas would be close enough in any direction to live (not including Little Haiti, Brownsville, Gladeview...you get the drift)? I see some houses close to my work but also houses in Cutler Bay, Kendall area , Miami Shores and north of it, ect that are nicer and in my price range. Are these locations too far for a 45 minute commute to arrive at work by 8:30am? Thanks for any help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 04:23 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,288,902 times
Just find something nice in Doral.

Or Miami Lakes.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:20 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,556,132 times
Why don't you rent at one of those Extended stay hotels for a few weeks while you get acclimated to the Doral traffic and other neighborhoods?

Old 12-28-2017, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will be staying at an airbnb or hotel while I'm looking around. The problem is I will be working immediately so I can't really tell what traffic would be like, for example, from Cutler Bay to Doral. I'll only be able to experience the traffic around work. I haven't seen any houses in Doral in my price range. Most of the houses for $2000 or under are in the Little Haiti area, or there's alot between the Miami airport and Homestead like Cutler Bay. I just need to figure out how far of a drive that is every day. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-28-2017, 02:39 PM

272 posts, read 267,658 times
Try the new development off of 826 called cityplace. Nice restaurants and shops literally downstairs

Old 12-28-2017, 05:43 PM

4,670 posts, read 2,520,852 times
Cutler Bay to Doral is about 30 minutes with no traffic. Easily double that during rush hour.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:12 PM

2,109 posts, read 1,982,062 times
Why would a single 28 year old want to live in Cutler bay, Kendall, suburbs, etc?

You work by the Airport so live in Edgewater/Midtown/Downtown or South beach.

All less than 45 mins depending on when you work. (if you work 9 to 5 it should only be 30 mins or so. If you work 3 or 4 pm to midnight, the afternoon traffic will be miserable)

$1800-$2000 will get you a nice 1 bedroom in buildings like Quantum on the bay, 1800 Club, Vizcayne, OneMiami, 50 Biscayne, etc. You would need to be in the $2500 range to get a luxury building like 900 Biscayne, Marina Blue (888 Biscayne), Onyx on the Bay, Star Lofts, etc.

Plus once you get home, you'll have plenty to walk to, bike to, etc or just be a $5 uber ride to Brickell, South Beach, etc.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 AM

10,848 posts, read 14,789,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic89 View Post
Hello everyone! I read here sometimes but never have posted. Anyways, I accepted a job in Miami and start in a week and a half. I'm looking for areas to live. My job is directly to the west of Miami international airport in Doral, pretty close to the airport. I'm 28, make $76,000, and looking for a house to rent under $2000 a month (alone).

I know Miami has some of the worst traffic in the country. It'd be great to find somewhere within 45 minutes commute but I won't be able to make any dry-runs due to not living there yet and starting work almost immediately when I arrive. So my question is, what areas would be close enough in any direction to live (not including Little Haiti, Brownsville, Gladeview...you get the drift)? I see some houses close to my work but also houses in Cutler Bay, Kendall area , Miami Shores and north of it, ect that are nicer and in my price range. Are these locations too far for a 45 minute commute to arrive at work by 8:30am? Thanks for any help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic89 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will be staying at an airbnb or hotel while I'm looking around. The problem is I will be working immediately so I can't really tell what traffic would be like, for example, from Cutler Bay to Doral. I'll only be able to experience the traffic around work. I haven't seen any houses in Doral in my price range. Most of the houses for $2000 or under are in the Little Haiti area, or there's alot between the Miami airport and Homestead like Cutler Bay. I just need to figure out how far of a drive that is every day. Anyone have any ideas?
Why on earth do you keep bringing up Cutler Bay? There is absolutely zero reason for you to be considering living there. Even if you don't want to live in Doral, there are many other places to consider that would be closer than Cutler Bay.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 AM

I'm just going by where houses are listed on craiglist and Zillow. That area near Cutler Bay had alot of houses in my price range, and also Westwood Lakes area. I'm single and 28 but prefer renting houses, tired of roommates, have a truck, motorcycle, 3 wheeler, going to buy a boat, ect and need a house for all my mantoys. Sanybelle thanks for that answer! So that Cutler Bay area would be out of the question if it's an hour one-way with traffic. What about the Westwood Lakes area? There is a big shortage of houses under $2000 in the Miami area that allow a black lab so my options are limited unfortunately to certain areas.

I don't understand why the dangerous areas/ghettos like Little Haiti are so close to the ocean. You would think they would have built up that area and cleaned it up already because people would pay alot to live so close the the ocean!

Don't need to live in South Beach or downtown, I've lived in downtown Atlanta long enough. Need a house for space, a yard, and can always uber downtown to party on weekends.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:44 AM

40 posts, read 50,092 times
Let me jump in and give you some real advice: considering what you're looking for, you're going to be looking at South Miami (see link to map below) for a rental house that is in a safe area. You can also try looking at Miami Springs and the area West of Dolphin Mall. The traffic driving in from Kendall will wear you down very quickly so I don't recommend it.

https://ibb.co/grM2Rb

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami