Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:43 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I am there at least once a week for lunch, will go more often when that Italian food hall opens. Apple Store is great--very good service. Hoping CMX Cinemas service has improved since I first went when it opened.
If you read the Yelp reviews, it has gotten progressively worse. I was planning to go see a movie there this weekend, but changed my mind after reading Yelp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I went when it first opened in January, and it was dead and half the stores weren't open. I went again a couple months ago and on the weekend, dead again. Miami just has too many malls in a small radius and BCC is nothing groundbreaking either and holy crap is it overpriced too. Only good thing is David's Tea, nice to see a Canadian tea shop in the states. But yeah, it's always dead there and people would rather go to Dolphin, Aventura or Sawgrass for shopping.
It's not really competing with Dolphin, Aventura or Sawgrass; it's catering to a completely different clientele. If you'd walk thru Bal Harbour Shops you'd probably think it was empty too, yet it is the most successful shopping center in the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 02:56 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
If you read the Yelp reviews, it has gotten progressively worse. I was planning to go see a movie there this weekend, but changed my mind after reading Yelp.

It's not really competing with Dolphin, Aventura or Sawgrass; it's catering to a completely different clientele. If you'd walk thru Bal Harbour Shops you'd probably think it was empty too, yet it is the most successful shopping center in the entire country.

I understand, but it's still important to factor that in. BCC only caters to rich foreigners (basically all of Brickell) or the top 1% (Miami is a pretty poor place, which is one of many factors as to why it's empty). As for Bal Harbour being the most successful shopping centre in the country, do you have anything to back that up? because if so, that's pretty pathetic.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:30 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
I wouldn't be surprised to see Bal Harbour as top in the country when it comes to sales. It already has a niche clientele able to spend much more than the rest of the common populace. One item sold could be equivalent to 300 items sold at other malls; albeit an exaggeration, it still close to reality. Consider also that malls work as plazas or public spaces in suburban America. So when we see lots of people at the malls (Dolphin, Aventura, Dadeland, etc...), maybe we are only seeing people who go just for a walk, or to meet up with friends, to see an event or to hook up with strangers (maybe?), etc...

Old 12-30-2017, 06:24 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
In 2016, Bal Harbour was top grossing mall:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...r-square-foot/

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/24/the-...arch-firm.html

Surprised South Coast Plaza (Orange County, CA) not even in top 10.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-30-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 PM

278 posts, read 316,871 times
I'm there at least once a day. I think they are doing great. These aren't stores that require tons of foot traffic to get by. There's are high end retailers.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
I understand, but it's still important to factor that in. BCC only caters to rich foreigners (basically all of Brickell) or the top 1% (Miami is a pretty poor place, which is one of many factors as to why it's empty). As for Bal Harbour being the most successful shopping centre in the country, do you have anything to back that up? because if so, that's pretty pathetic.
Elchevere has already provided the links you requested; the only thing I would add is that Bal Harbour has been #1 for years. And again, that's why you can't judge a shopping center's success by the amount of foot traffic.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:03 PM

278 posts, read 316,871 times
Quote:
It's pretty common knowledge Bal Harbour is one of the highest grossing malls in the world, not just America. Also like another poster mentioned, completely different clientele. They don't need to have crazy foot traffic. One item sold in some of these stores equates to 8 hours of none stop foot traffic/sales in some of the stores in Dadeland/Aventura.

Example: my wife and I went shopping for a wedding we attended this past weekend. She bought a dress, shoes and some jewelry while I got a spare suit. 2 different retailers at BCC and it came to 9k give or take. While in those stores we saw at least 2-3 other shoppers waiting in line. Let's assume they got another 2-3k (though I'm pretty sure they got alot more) in merchandise. That's 11-12k in less than 10 minutes on 2-3 customers.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:21 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Kinda crazy how materialistic Miami is honestly, kinda sickening too. Anyways all those high-end malls are sterile regardless, no life and all snobby people. Bal Harbour will always be the go-to place, BCC is gonna be empty for a while until it diversifies.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:04 AM

874 posts, read 899,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
It's pretty common knowledge Bal Harbour is one of the highest grossing malls in the world, not just America. Also like another poster mentioned, completely different clientele. They don't need to have crazy foot traffic. One item sold in some of these stores equates to 8 hours of none stop foot traffic/sales in some of the stores in Dadeland/Aventura.

Example: my wife and I went shopping for a wedding we attended this past weekend. She bought a dress, shoes and some jewelry while I got a spare suit. 2 different retailers at BCC and it came to 9k give or take. While in those stores we saw at least 2-3 other shoppers waiting in line. Let's assume they got another 2-3k (though I'm pretty sure they got alot more) in merchandise. That's 11-12k in less than 10 minutes on 2-3 customers.
d
And this is why Bal Harbor, the Design District, and BCC will be sucessful. They're aiming only for the top customers, not the rest of us. But even if I'm never going to be their target market, the architecture is beautiful, and there's nothing wrong with grabbing a meal there occasionally.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:27 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Yup...and BCC will be unveiling its Italian Food Hall shortly and maybe in another year or two CMX Cinemas will get their (service) act together--a guy can hope, can't he??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
d
And this is why Bal Harbor, the Design District, and BCC will be sucessful. They're aiming only for the top customers, not the rest of us. But even if I'm never going to be their target market, the architecture is beautiful, and there's nothing wrong with grabbing a meal there occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami