Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:52 PM

80 posts, read 61,485 times

Advertisements

While the stress test theory has not yet been confirmed, media were asking about this during the press conference which means there may be some truth to this. Individuals who were in the area when this occurred have posted on twitter saying they saw either something drop from one of the cranes working on the bridge, or something "snap."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 03:16 PM

233 posts, read 172,501 times
This catastrophe hit a bit close to home. I used to date a Brazilian woman who worked at FIU so by off chance I texted her to see if she was all right and she told me her office was right across the bridge, overlooking the whole thing. She was fine though.

Her exact words were "Here looks like a sub developed country". Keep in mind she's from Brazil. I joked that this is Miami, and the workers were probably drunk but she responded angrily that many of the contractors here have fake papers and she knew just one from Brazil.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:22 PM

ABC10 just stated they spoke to a worker who was working on the bridge that a stress test was being conducted, and something went horribly wrong.

Edit: Good info being stated on ABC10 right now. Representative stated the bridge was still in the hands of the workers. It had not been handed over to FIU yet.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:41 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
From what I heard this happened while they were doing construction ON the bridge. What I wanna know is why 8th street was not closed off. This was a hazard from the get go.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
From what I heard this happened while they were doing construction ON the bridge. What I wanna know is why 8th street was not closed off. This was a hazard from the get go.
Agreed. Gross negligence. The only silver lining here is that the students at FIU were on spring break.
Also that we just hit daylight savings time which will provide extra hours of sunlight during their search for any survivors.

K9 search & rescue is on the scene now.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:08 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Is that an actual picture of the bridge or just a rendering of it from Curbed Miami?

Old 03-15-2018, 05:13 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
First off, condolences to those lost, and my thoughts to those injured. I've had friends and family attend FIU, and still do. I love the campus and this one hits home hard.

With that said, it's just typical Miami for them to do a stress test in the middle of the day without any precautions. Second, for it to fail a stress test shows how weak the structure was. I was looking at where the structure was made, and it said Miami, we know Miami is notorious for its cheap concrete. Regardless, this incident boils my blood and hits close to home.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:59 PM

267 posts, read 122,061 times
Taxpayers will pay the families for their losses and no one will go to jail. Some companies will change their names so they can keep their government contracts. A political donation here and there will keep them safe. No one will care about this incident in a few months except for those who lost their loved ones.

Same old.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:04 AM

874 posts, read 899,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It is pretty normal for work to be done overhead while traffic is passing underneath... provided that adequate safety measures are used. Remember that they built the new 826/836 interchange while traffic passed underneath without a major incident.

However, if they were doing STRESS testing and the bridge had only been in place since Saturday... that seems a bit much. Simple enough to do that between 10 pm and 4 am when they could have more easily closed the streets.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:44 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
Taxpayers will pay the families for their losses and no one will go to jail. Some companies will change their names so they can keep their government contracts. A political donation here and there will keep them safe. No one will care about this incident in a few months except for those who lost their loved ones.

Same old.
Sadly you are exactly right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: