Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,403 times

Advertisements

So as the title says I'm considering moving to Miami, but I'm not sure if it will be the right place for me. I'm a 24 year old female currently living in Naples, FL with my family. Naples is a beautiful place, but it is boring and old af. I would like to stay close to family and Miami is about 2 hours away, so it is a great option for me.

Throughout my life I have moved a lot and lived all over the country-- I was born in Chicago and most recently lived in NYC. I loved NYC but it was so expensive and I'm looking for more of a laid back city. I have travelled a lot, so I value diversity and a more European way of life. I like city life and don't want a car if I don't have to, though I will buy a scooter, is that enough to get around? I also love trying new food and ethnic cuisines-- asian food (korean, chinese, vietnamese, japanese, etc.) is my favorite, are there good options in Miami? I doesn't look like you have a chinatown which is a bit of a letdown (but correct me if I'm wrong). I do like nightlife and going out. I will admit I was quite the partier in NYC, but I'm at that point in my life where I'm fine with going out a couple times a month, so are there enough non-alcohol involved activities? I love the beach and water activites-- paddle boarding and scuba diving-- so I think I will be set in that department.

The thing that worries me most is meeting people, and the right type of people. What bothered me about NYC is that a lot of people were social climbers and uptight in a sense as the main focus was their careers. There is nothing wrong with that, but I'm a midwesterner at heart and it made me feel a little out of place. I value genuine people and those that are more laid back and willing to hang out over some beers. Miami to me seems pretty flashy and that people care a lot about appearances, so do you think it will tough to find a group of like-minded friends? Again, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to assume anything. I also only have elementary Spanish proficiency, but I love learning languages so I think I will be able to pick some up.

I have been to Miami many times, and I've really liked the times that I've been, but living and visiting are totally different. I've fallen in love with the Wynwood area since I'm a lover of street art. I wouldn't want to live in it but somewhere in proximity...have heard good things about Brickell.

Again, I apologize for the long post-- I just want to make sure I make the right decision. I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:45 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,822,860 times
What's your budget?

Also if you want be close to Miami without all the nuttiness, maybe you should check out Fort Lauderdale.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 AM

80 posts, read 61,410 times
As a young person you will definitely enjoy Miami more than Naples, that's for sure. I have family in Naples and lived there for 4 years myself, so I definitely understand how you feel about that. Still, you'll enjoy being able to "get away" from Miami and enjoy the peace and quiet of Naples from time to time when you visit your family.

Lots of water activities down here as well as access to the Keys (Key Largo, Islamorada) so you're set in that department, though the beaches will be much more crowded than Naples. In order to not need a car here you'll either have to find a job working from home, or find a job within close proximity to where you live. I am not saying it isn't doable, but it's a very competitive job market out here, so prepare to be able to deal with not finding that (you'll need some mode of transportation).

There are tons of fake people down here as I imagine there are in any big city, but you just have to be smart about who you choose to associate with. Typically you'll meet a coworker who is like minded that you can hang out with, and then usually that coworker has additionally like minded friends that you can then meet as well.

Good Luck

Old 04-12-2018, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,403 times
I'm fairly flexible-- I'm open to roommates to help keep cost down, so in that case I would want to spend around $800. Of course it would be contingent on salary and if it's doable I would love to live alone.

Yes I have family in ft. lauderdale and have been many times. I can't really see myself living there, but I can look into it a bit more.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
I find Ft Lauderdale a step up from Naples, yes, but also it is NOT Miami..
Miami has a more sophisticated, international feel. Tons of Spanish speakers and a lot of Russians and eastern Europeans too.. Meeting people is really a crap-shoot. There's lots of good ppl in Miami, but there are also a lot of shady characters as well. Be careful and cautious with you who bring in to your circle.

You could probably get away with not having a car in Miami Beach, Coconut Grove and Brickell, but everywhere else you'll need/want a car. And yes, Miami is a flashy place...it's just one of those places. Flash and dash, fancy cars, designer clothes, drugs to a certain extent, etc... Again, not everyone, but there is a vibe of that.

I think Miami is really a lot of fun if you have the money.... If you're kinda broke...it's a lot of "looking in from the outside" where you're broke butt looks at all the nice condos, boats, mansions, fancy restaurants, yachts from the outside, never to really experience any of it as you sit in traffic on US1 in your Honda Civic with weird air conditioning paying boku money for a dumpy apartment in west kendall.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 9,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

I think Miami is really a lot of fun if you have the money.... If you're kinda broke...it's a lot of "looking in from the outside" where you're broke butt looks at all the nice condos, boats, mansions, fancy restaurants, yachts from the outside, never to really experience any of it as you sit in traffic on US1 in your Honda Civic with weird air conditioning paying boku money for a dumpy apartment in west kendall.
Depending from where you from originally that’s absolutely fine. I’m an immigrant myself living in Miami and like a lot of other people I’m surviving. I know I can’t afford the luxury lifestyle of people who are making 100.000$ a year but that’s fine for me. Well, at least the beach is for free

Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 PM

227 posts, read 246,993 times
To chime in about meeting people, go to meetup.com. You can search for groups that interest you (sports, fitness, socializing, etc). There are a TON in the area. I’ve met great friends through that website.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:20 PM

56 posts, read 134,025 times
Well, looks like ethnic food wasn't talked about yet. Not surprising as I've only seen Americanized restaurants and/or fusion in Dade.

You'll have to be up around Ft. Lauderdale for authentic food it seems. I went to a random Korean restaurant that was in a rundown plaza. Food was very good and authentic (I'm Korean). Took a peek toward the back and saw grandma cookin'

Maybe live in-between Dade and Broward?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami