Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,868 times

Advertisements

My family of four (me: 37 wife: 37 daughter: 5 and son: 1yr) will be relocating from a Chicago suburb to the Miami area. I will be working in the Brickell World Plaza. I'm looking for a neighborhood that is family friendly and has a reasonable driveless commute to Brickell, something between 45-60mins (door-to-door). We will be renting the first year while we get to know the area.

Commuting in Chicago is really simple as there are trains that reach almost every suburb or there are park-n-rides that are conveniently close. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing, Chicago traffic is one the worst in the nation but you can avoid most of it by taking the train.

What are my options if I don't want to drive?

I've looked into areas close to the metrorail or that are serviced by the 595/95 express buses but I'm really overwhelmed with the information.

My budget is $2,800/mo for a 3 bedroom. OK/average schools should be fine, even our current school is rated 7. And as long as there is no widespread rape, kidnapping, break-ins, or gun violence, we don't mind some petty crime. We are OK with a "boring" neighborhood, with kids the truth is that we rarely have the energy to party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 11:09 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Driverless commute to Brickell? LOL, you should live in Brickell.

But if you insist - look at Weston, which is super family oriented with the best schools, and you can get on 595/95 express bus (doesn't exactly stop in Weston, but nearby in Sunrise). However the bus will still be at the mercy of highway traffic.

Maybe find something in Fort Lauderdale - elementary schools are good - and take the Brightline train (30 min) from downtown FTL to downtown Miami (they are opening service very soon).

Old 05-01-2018, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
..the bus will still be at the mercy of highway traffic.
I don't want to avoid traffic. I want to avoid having to drive. You can get a lot things done while riding a train or express bus but not so much while driving.

Your Brigthline suggestion is very useful and opens up a whole new set of possibilities. Thanks!

Old 05-01-2018, 01:54 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFromChicago View Post
I don't want to avoid traffic. I want to avoid having to drive. You can get a lot things done while riding a train or express bus but not so much while driving.

Your Brigthline suggestion is very useful and opens up a whole new set of possibilities. Thanks!

You just need to find a place reasonably close to the train station in FTL so you could walk to it, which is almost in downtown, and that area is a little like patchwork (but rapidly improving).

I suggest checking out Flagler Village area - rental communities like The Edge or The Manor At Flagler Village or AMLI Flagler Village. It is a vibrant area, nicely maintained, with a good choices of places to eat next door, grocery shopping nearby, and downtown or Las Olas blvd only 10 minute walk.

I used to live at the Manor. I have friends who are in the 30's, some with kids, some without, who live at the Manor or at the Edge. Their kids go to public school in Victoria Park (very nice neighborhood too). They like their life.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:46 AM

278 posts, read 316,804 times
Quote:
My family of four (me: 37 wife: 37 daughter: 5 and son: 1yr) will be relocating from a Chicago suburb to the Miami area. I will be working in the Brickell World Plaza. I'm looking for a neighborhood that is family friendly and has a reasonable driveless commute to Brickell, something between 45-60mins (door-to-door). We will be renting the first year while we get to know the area.

Commuting in Chicago is really simple as there are trains that reach almost every suburb or there are park-n-rides that are conveniently close. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing, Chicago traffic is one the worst in the nation but you can avoid most of it by taking the train.

I've looked into areas close to the metrorail or that are serviced by the 595/95 express buses but I'm really overwhelmed with the information.

My budget is $2,800/mo for a 3 bedroom. OK/average schools should be fine, even our current school is rated 7. And as long as there is no widespread rape, kidnapping, break-ins, or gun violence, we don't mind some petty crime. We are OK with a "boring" neighborhood, with kids the truth is that we rarely have the energy to party.
You honestly have some decent options. Look at Coral Gables, coconut Grove and pinecrest. All great family neighborhoods with park and rides available. Decent budget for renting a house as well. Just make sure you limit your search close to the metro rail line as those neighborhoods are sprawling. Metro rail rides straight into brickell.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:09 AM

874 posts, read 899,748 times
Quote:

The metrorail going south is jammed full of people, you're not alone in wanting a drive free commute, and there really aren't enough options.

You should also look at the areas serviced by the trolley systems. (Which are in fact free buses, but details). There's one in particular that runs from Brickell through Coral Gables. It would be worth checking along that route, as it would be a relatively short, free commute.

And another option would be Doral, at the north-western end of the metrorail. We also have a good trolley system that serves that station.
https://www.cityofdoral.com/all-depa...doral-trolley/

As a real estate agent, I'm not supposed to comment on crime rates, but I strongly recommend you look at crime mapping. I think that's the best way to get an accurate picture of when, where and what. I really don't care how much theft occurs at the malls, if my neighborhood is relatively safe.

And if you're taking public transportation, try to make sure you have a back-up plan in place. Trains occasionally break down, etc.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,355,496 times
Bright line would open up a lot of options for you in and around downtown Fort Lauderdale. You might even get a house for $2800 as well. Not sure about schools though, unless you get into Victoria Park area?

But its like $10-$15 each way, so factor that as well as uber rides unless you plan to bike to the station from your home.

Otherwise, I would look for a home near the ROADS/Coral Way area and just take an uber if you didn't want to drive. You can get Uber specials where you pay like $10 month and get unlimited $6 or $7 rides no matter where in the Miami 'zone' (Gables to Downtown to Aventura).

My clients love living in the Coral way/shenandoah area and schools aren't bad.

I doubt you'll find a 3 bedroom home in Coral Gables & Grove for $2800 unless its tiny with a converted garage, but maybe an older townhome in the Grove?

Like Ann said, have a back up plan which is why living 'near' Brickell would be good. Who knows how long Brightline will last, 6 people have already been killed (trying to beat the train) and the Miami station continues to get delayed.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:06 PM

874 posts, read 899,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Bright line would open up a lot of options for you in and around downtown Fort Lauderdale. You might even get a house for $2800 as well. Not sure about schools though, unless you get into Victoria Park area?

But its like $10-$15 each way, so factor that as well as uber rides unless you plan to bike to the station from your home.

Otherwise, I would look for a home near the ROADS/Coral Way area and just take an uber if you didn't want to drive. You can get Uber specials where you pay like $10 month and get unlimited $6 or $7 rides no matter where in the Miami 'zone' (Gables to Downtown to Aventura).

My clients love living in the Coral way/shenandoah area and schools aren't bad.

I doubt you'll find a 3 bedroom home in Coral Gables & Grove for $2800 unless its tiny with a converted garage, but maybe an older townhome in the Grove?

Like Ann said, have a back up plan which is why living 'near' Brickell would be good. Who knows how long Brightline will last, 6 people have already been killed (trying to beat the train) and the Miami station continues to get delayed.
And taking the brightline would mean that you would have very ugly plan Bs. Maybe taking an uber 45 minutes home? Peak rates too.

I learned these lessons when taking public transit in NY. If the subway isn't working, you better know how to get to the right bus fast... or you're going to be waiting a few hours.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 PM

52 posts, read 119,073 times
I would also consider Miami Springs being about a 15 minute commute from Brickell. It is a very safe, tight knit community.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:12 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,355,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmrmustard View Post
I would also consider Miami Springs being about a 15 minute commute from Brickell. It is a very safe, tight knit community.
Door to Door? No chance. From in his car to at this building (not even parking), I would budget 30 mins for that commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami