Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 PM

147 posts, read 189,566 times

Advertisements

Move to Brickell, you may or may not like it here, but it is one of the nicest areas in Miami. If you dont like the Brickell area, you will probably not like many other areas of of this city. It fun to watch the hundred thousand dollar cars drive by. Publix shopping down the street is a huge machismo competition...who has the newest Audi, who has the trendiest workout attire, there are a lot of beautiful latinas in spandex there. Most people go to the Brickell Publix after work-and working out-after 8PM. Lots of Latin American wealth. Get used to it as it will be flaunted in your face.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,854,353 times
I don't have any problems with the negativity on here. It shows the worse parts of Miami, people don't just come on forums with hatred of a city for the fun of it. It is obviously something that has built up for a long time. I am moving to Miami soon and this forum really gave me a heads up on what to expect and many different areas I should be avoiding. I am from Michigan and if I were to see people posting only positive things about Detroit you bet your ass I'd be in there saying what to expect in Detroit.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:53 AM

546 posts, read 2,142,551 times
Want to move east: Brickell is nice and there are alot of rentals out there from people that bought condos and got in way over their head and are trying to rent them out. You're close to the beach but not in the beach so you don't have to deal with drunken party people stumbling around at all hours of the morning.

You're also very close to Key Biscayne which is where some of the best views of the skyline are at. Key biscayne is also home to the Sony Ericsson and the Miami Seaquarium.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,291,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
oh brother Roger. First, it's bumper, not bumber.
Thanks. In my defense, I did learn English in Miami.

Quote:
A life-altering mistake of epic proportions? Geez, it's not that big of a deal!

You're right. One can always move back, as many have. Still, even if it was a bit of an exaggeration; you have to admit "life-altering mistake of epic proportions" has a catchy, if ominous, ring to it.

I have a friend who lives on Brickell. He likes it because it is the closest thing to New York City (tall buildings). Just be aware that it is not like a big city downtown. It is dead after work hours.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,208,860 times
"america" to me, is a place that if you work hard you can get money and buy safety. the utility of money is you can buy your way out of some very nasty situations as you have described. without the power to force parents to put their children in dangerous crime ridden facilities called "public schools" the system would have failed long ago.
congratulations on the great escape. FYI per united press release on yahoo this morning urban school drop out is 50%. voucher system, the sooner the better.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 AM

36 posts, read 111,003 times
Default Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Dan View Post
Some idiot wrote something about resentment toward wealthy hispanics. Ridiculous. I guess this means in Boston they don't like wealthy Irish or in Seattle they resent wealthy Asians? I have money, money does not make the man (or woman). It really comes down to respecting your fellow man/woman at any social or financial standing; to be treated as you would want to be treated by others and ultimately here is the problem in Miami from my perspective...and yes, you have to live there to understand.

I worked with great people of Peruvian, Colombian, Equadorian, Venezuelan, Cuban, etc. backgrounds (I am anglo). After 2.5 years of contemplating why everything seems backwards in Miami I asked my associates why my girlfriend and I felt mistreated in Miami. The most concise explaination was that, typically, Americans are taught RESPECT is EARNED; lead by example, walk the walk, treat your elders and others with honor and dignity as you would expect in return. However, the MACHISMO attitude (as explained by my cohorts) is one where you start on top and demand respect. When a cashier or business person feels as though they are not given that respect (maybe lost through translation) instead of walking away, they explode and become very confrontational as if their honor is in jeopardy. As if they have to be broken down a little or the arrogance / attitude is to be chisled back before they will lower themselves to your standing.

From the 14 year old whistling at my girlfriend (who I confronted), the old ladies in the grocery stores purposefully ramming carts into mine (who I confronted), to the business owners who told me this was their town, to the guy who slapped his hands on the back of my car as we were driving 45 mph (who I confronted) down the road, to the constant cutting in line, I was challenged every day for 2.5 years.

And lets not forget that many other cultures around the world treat women in a lesser light; this was certainly true for my girlfriend who was constantly harassed, whistled at, yelled at, etc. in Miami.

You will find Miami a rude, classless, greedy, 2nd world mentality unlik any other American city......if you live there.

Lastly, Miami, Florida FYI:
• Hispanic (65.8%)
• Black (22.3%)
• White Non-Hispanic (11.8%)
• Other race (5.4%)
• Two or more races (4.7%)
• American Indian (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
As the original poster of this thread, I have to agree with everything you have written here. Coming from a military family, I have lived in a few different places--New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Texas, and lastly the country of Miami. My aversion to this place has NOTHING to do with race or ethnicity whatsoever--because I also happen to be Hispanic.

The difference is, I firmly believe that when you emmigrate to another country you are not to treat the people from that country with arrogance and contempt, like most Hispanics I have met in Miami do. Honestly, there have been times when I have been embarassed to have to be lumped into the category of "HISPANIC" since their behavior in Miami, being that they feel they "rule the place" (as many have told me in the past) is most certainly despicable.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,700,472 times
Default Dear Roger:

ok Roger, you've redeemed yourself in my eyes.

Thanks for the heads up about Brickell being dead after work. In a city like Miami, I think we might like that. We are people who work hard all day, and then like to sit in a pool or just hang out until the next grueling day. Then on the weekends, I imagine we'll be at the beach.

See you on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Thanks. In my defense, I did learn English in Miami.

You're right. One can always move back, as many have. Still, even if it was a bit of an exaggeration; you have to admit "life-altering mistake of epic proportions" has a catchy, if ominous, ring to it.

I have a friend who lives on Brickell. He likes it because it is the closest thing to New York City (tall buildings). Just be aware that it is not like a big city downtown. It is dead after work hours.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,700,472 times
Default Dear 305Guy:

Thank YOU for your posts. You are one of the more helpful posters on this forum and that makes moving easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
Want to move east: Brickell is nice and there are alot of rentals out there from people that bought condos and got in way over their head and are trying to rent them out. You're close to the beach but not in the beach so you don't have to deal with drunken party people stumbling around at all hours of the morning.

You're also very close to Key Biscayne which is where some of the best views of the skyline are at. Key biscayne is also home to the Sony Ericsson and the Miami Seaquarium.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM

106 posts, read 432,739 times
This message is to Miamiblue and Mommytwice's 2nd reply whom I believe have captured the South Florida experience most accurately (and hopefully mine); it would have been nice to have met both of you while I lived there. THOSE OF YOU MOVING TO MIAMI - THESE STATEMENTS ARE THE MUST READS / REAL DEAL. Good Luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:51 AM

546 posts, read 2,142,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Dan View Post
This message is to Miamiblue and Mommytwice's 2nd reply whom I believe have captured the South Florida experience most accurately (and hopefully mine); it would have been nice to have met both of you while I lived there. THOSE OF YOU MOVING TO MIAMI - THESE STATEMENTS ARE THE MUST READS / REAL DEAL. Good Luck.
People's experiences are their own and just that. Just because an X amount of people had that experience does not mean that everyone had that experience. While it is unfortunate that your experiences in Miami were bad, it does not mean that someone moving here or already living here will have or is experiencing the same treatment you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami