U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,876,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Crisp

You and I have very different views about race. While I know your point of view about race does not represent every Cuban or Cuban American in S Florida, my experience has been that is more common in your group. So to answer an earlier question you asked me, these are the kind of experiences that make think negatively about some Cubans. When someone constantly talks negatively about skin color like some of my Cuban friends do, my perception is that this person somehow thinks that having a dark skin color makes a person inferior

Now regarding your post... Last time I checked cities like Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, NYC have a large population of this "latino" macro group and they not only have a stronger economy, more corporate investment but in fact they have a higher white nonhispanic population. The infamous white flight has actually been larger here in South Florida. White flight is not necessarily related to race, but to economic opportunities. Even if some people left because they can't stand some ethnicity, other white people will come and some will stay. Check the statistics for a city like Dallas whose population keeps growing many times faster than Miami's

Princess: I don't understand your sentence:

When someone constantly talks negatively about skin color like some of my Cuban friends do, my perception is that this person somehow thinks that having a dark skin color makes a person inferior

You have Cuban friends who talk BS about other people whose skin color is darker than theirs but they are your FRIENDS?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM

5,627 posts, read 5,838,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marimbero View Post
Yes. We are glad they left too. They could not stand being in a city in which they were not the dominant group. Good riddance.

Maybe, maybe not. Tough to say if that was truly their reason. For some, maybe, but many are now enjoying a much better quality of life in other states, mainly states like GA, NC and TN, where congestion, road rage, and crime are not a problem like they are in Miami.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 AM

66 posts, read 11,304 times
There was no congestion, no road rage and no crime when Anglos started to leave in droves during the late 60's.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 AM

Sure there was. Crime was really bad in the 80's in Miami.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,946,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Princess: I don't understand your sentence:

When someone constantly talks negatively about skin color like some of my Cuban friends do, my perception is that this person somehow thinks that having a dark skin color makes a person inferior

You have Cuban friends who talk BS about other people whose skin color is darker than theirs but they are your FRIENDS?
I understand what you are saying

Let me be clear that I have Cuban friends who never bring this topic up. Now these people I was talking about I have known for many years. My stepfather was actually Cuban so sometimes was not even by choice. Have I considered stopping my friendship with them? Yes, because I get irritated by this topic, and a LOT. However they are not bad people, these are the kind of people that would go out of their way to help anybody regardless of race. I think it's just the way they were brought up and racism comes in many different shapes and forms. But yes, I might stop my friendship with them in the future.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 AM

66 posts, read 11,304 times
I'm trying to conceptualize a Miami in 2008 that would be demographically close to what it was in the 1970s, which is admittedly very hard to picture, but I imagine that's somewhat what it would be like.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Cuban-American town. The so-called flight started during the 60's and the riot and Mariel were not that determinant, the flight would have continued. The flight of Anglo blue collars and low middle class was due purely to economic reasons. Cubans only bought Cuban and employed Cubans.

Anglos that were rich, professional, CEOs and Institution Leaders remained and are still living in Miami. Anglos keep investing in Miami, along with people from all over the world.

The only middle to upper clases that live in Miami and don't speak a word of English are tourists.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:44 AM

12 posts, read 14,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobadas View Post
I'm trying to conceptualize a Miami in 2008 that would be demographically close to what it was in the 1970s, which is admittedly very hard to picture, but I imagine that's somewhat what it would be like.

A Cuban-American town. The so-called flight started during the 60's and the riot and Mariel were not that determinant, the flight would have continued. The flight of Anglo blue collars and low middle class was due purely to economic reasons. Cubans only bought Cuban and employed Cubans.

Anglos that were rich, professional, CEOs and Institution Leaders remained and are still living in Miami. Anglos keep investing in Miami, along with people from all over the world.

The only middle to upper clases that live in Miami and don't speak a word of English are tourists.
damn you, bobadas. stop this. I am agreeing with you too much.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:49 PM

[quote=Bobadas;11887513]I'm trying to conceptualize a Miami in 2008 that would be demographically close to what it was in the 1970s, which is admittedly very hard to picture, but I imagine that's somewhat what it would be like.

A Cuban-American town. The so-called flight started during the 60's and the riot and Mariel were not that determinant, the flight would have continued. The flight of Anglo blue collars and low middle class was due purely to economic reasons. Cubans only bought Cuban and employed Cubans. <---Welcome to America!

Anglos that were rich, professional, CEOs and Institution Leaders remained and are still living in Miami. Moderator cut: Flaming/Trolling Anglos keep investing in Miami, along with people from all over the world. What are they investing in, foreclosed condos?

Last edited by doggiebus; 12-04-2009 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,847,715 times
I thought the city of Miami was going down the toilets back in the mid-1970's ,there was nothing in Downtown Miami except for Bayfront Park and in Miami Beach(South Beach) was even worse it look like a slum ,still the city maintained its beauty(Beautiful water and trees) yet the two cities were dilapidated. There were active shops owned by Cubans but once 5:00 pm came around this city was dead at night.Miami Beach was filled with elderly ,homeless and druggies. I believe Miami Beaches demise was the fligtht out of there because Las Vegas was becoming a more popular place for entertainers.

I believe the show Miami Vice had a part in reviving this city as Miami in the 1980'( Cocaine Capital of the U.S.) the show brought more tourism to Miami on a national and international scale.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:55 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,847,715 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9OddN29Z4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami