U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 PM
 
Location: South Beach (MB, FL)
640 posts, read 1,212,431 times
Reputation: 126

Advertisements

TJ, no one is saying that Cuba is not a dictatorship, or that Castro is not a dictator, or that anyone should like him.

TJ> The best way, in my opinion, to break a totalitarian system is opening trade and a remove all posible restrictions.

I completely agree.

The issues, though, were about the best way to have fought Castro, and they U.S. and the Bay of Pigs. Fifty years later, with most Cubans who care enough to fight (or not?) long since having left Cuba, it's a moot point, just a historical debate. It's finally time to try a policy toward Cuba that hasn't been a 50-year failure.

 
Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 PM
 
Location: miami, fla. enjoying the relative cool, for now ;)
1,087 posts, read 1,513,447 times
Reputation: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
TJ, no one is saying that Cuba is not a dictatorship, or that Castro is not a dictator, or that anyone should like him.

TJ> The best way, in my opinion, to break a totalitarian system is opening trade and a remove all posible restrictions.

I completely agree.

The issues, though, were about the best way to have fought Castro, and they U.S. and the Bay of Pigs. Fifty years later, with most Cubans who care enough to fight (or not?) long since having left Cuba, it's a moot point, just a historical debate. It's finally time to try a policy toward Cuba that hasn't been a 50-year failure.

spot on.
 
Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
 
Location: South FL
5,129 posts, read 4,024,542 times
Reputation: 3121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I was 12 in Miami when the McDuffie riots took place and I really don't have any memory of them. I had to do a Google search to find out what they were about. So, I don't think they had that big of an impact. Did we see a lot of white flight from LA after the Rodny King riots? (Wouldn't it suck to have a riot named after you?)

The Cuban invasion of 1980, on the otherhand, was a much bigger impact. Those were the lowest of the low. They were the inmates and residents of Castro's insane asylems. He unloaded his problems on us. I think if all of the Cuban disadents would have stayed and fought Castro then both Miami AND Cuba would be much better places today.
 
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 AM
 
177 posts, read 361,031 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
> why change it now in the 9th inning

Because it doesn't work! Do you worship failure? If a doctor performs a medical procedure for 30 years that doesn't work, and costs money, wouldn't it be rational for him to stop? The embargo is not close to succeeding. Whatever happens next in Cuba is besides or in spite of the embargo. The comparison to Iraq makes no sense; the Cuban embargo and the invasion of Iraq have no relationship. Will people invoke Iraq now for every long-term failure that has no prospect of success?


After 50 years of failure, isn't it time for a new mindset?
I feel the same exact way about the war on drugs, which has barely made a dent in the illegal importation of drugs into this country compared to the trillions we have spent on it. As a result we have empowered gangs with a market that wouldn't exist if the gov. taxed and regulated them. If it didn't work with alcohol during prohibition, its no surprise it isn't working now either.
 
Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 AM
 
Location: South Beach (MB, FL)
640 posts, read 1,212,431 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
I feel the same exact way about the war on drugs, which has barely made a dent in the illegal importation of drugs into this country compared to the trillions we have spent on it. As a result we have empowered gangs with a market that wouldn't exist if the gov. taxed and regulated them. If it didn't work with alcohol during prohibition, its no surprise it isn't working now either.
Agreed. It would be pretty cool if a 1/2 cent marijuana tax paid better transit, or something useful. It's also sad that all that drug money helped fuel the real estate bubble, and played a part in the corruption of the police and politicians. It also destabilized Columbia, and will soon have the same effect in Mexico. Meanwhile, Afghanistan is turning into a narco-state.
 
Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 AM
 
177 posts, read 361,031 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Meanwhile, Afghanistan is turning into a narco-state.
My friend who is in the Marines and stationed in Afghani tells me stories u would not believe. His platoon was assigned to guard a poppy field the size of south beach and were instructed to allow the farmers to conduct business as usual in exchange for the local tribes cooperation. Turns out a comrade of his in the same troop had a sister in seattle that comitted suicide from heroin withdrawls and it was driving him literally crazy, standing by watching helpless while these guys farmed poppies that are used to make that poison.
 
Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 AM
 
177 posts, read 361,031 times
Reputation: 77
Cubans' hunger strike a desperate bid for justice, attention - Front Page - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/457/story/968159.html - broken link)
 
Old 03-26-2009, 06:52 AM
 
Location: miami, fla. enjoying the relative cool, for now ;)
1,087 posts, read 1,513,447 times
Reputation: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Meanwhile, Afghanistan is turning into a narco-state.
news flash!!!! afghanistan has grown poppies for export for since 1747 the time of ahmad shah durrani. there is credible evidence that cultivation of opium poppies has ocurred in the region back to the time of the sumarians, 4000 BC

 
Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: South Beach (MB, FL)
640 posts, read 1,212,431 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
news flash!!!! afghanistan has grown poppies for export for since 1747 the time of ahmad shah durrani. there is credible evidence that cultivation of opium poppies has ocurred in the region back to the time of the sumarians, 4000 BC

Perhaps, but now they have a huge export market to Europe. If they're going to have an opium-based economy, and the pharmaceutical industry can't (even nearly) absorb it all, then either heroin needs to be legalized, or Afghanistan needs different cash crops or industries. The only alternative is endless Mafia-style corruption. Is that what we're fighting for?

Actually, what are we fighting for? The Taliban is on their way back in Afghanistan, and in Pakistan as well.
 
Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
 
Location: South Beach (MB, FL)
640 posts, read 1,212,431 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleman305 View Post
Cubans' hunger strike a desperate bid for justice, attention - Front Page - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/457/story/968159.html - broken link)
We should also have hunger strikes for better living conditions in the U.S., and to protest the systematic acts of torture that the U.S. government has been found to have engaged in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top