Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 43,546 times

Advertisements

I am working with a realtor and have found a unit that I like. She told me in the beginning that I would pay 1st month, last month, and security deposit upfront (all the same total) + $100 application fee + $500 move in fee. Now she is saying that instead of paying last months rent upfront ($2,200) I will pay a $1,500 amenities / building deposit upfront. However, now I am responsible for last months rent.

My concern is that I thought the owner was responsible for this "deposit." Why am I paying two deposits? I already paid the $2,200 security deposit to the association. Is it typical to have to pay the building a security deposit, as well?

The realtor said that the owner has no problem paying this, however with this specific association the building deposit needs to come directly from me. It can't come from the owner (this makes no sense to me).

The owner did negotiate on the rent price. However, now I feel like this is how they are making up for it. I just feel like I am getting tricked into paying for something that the owner should be paying for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Some associations require the tenant to pay the association's security deposit.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:09 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Yeah, they want the tenant to have 'skin in the game'. Every high rise has a building deposit. So 1st/last/sec + building deposit +app fees + elevator deposit (That is returned after your movers leave) is most common. Usually a good realtor can negotiate the owner pay the building deposit, or in your case, forgo the last month's rent. But there are some difficult owners who pay nothing (and it sits on the market longer).

Old 09-05-2018, 08:00 PM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Yeah, they want the tenant to have 'skin in the game'. Every high rise has a building deposit. So 1st/last/sec + building deposit +app fees + elevator deposit (That is returned after your movers leave) is most common. Usually a good realtor can negotiate the owner pay the building deposit, or in your case, forgo the last month's rent. But there are some difficult owners who pay nothing (and it sits on the market longer).
I agree with Mark... usually we can negotiate 1st months rent + 1 month deposit to the owner... and the building deposit. But that will depend on your situation and the owner's preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami