Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:35 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,670,915 times

Advertisements

Anyone else sleeping in Miami experience the thunderstorm at 4:15 AM? The wind was gusting over 50 MPH and the lightning was flashing just like in Wilma. I guess I am not used to this because at my home I sleep right through the most powerful storms. What a wierd feeling and a flashback to hurricanes like Andrew, Frances, Katrina, Wilma, etc. I will be awake until the storms pass as the barometer is dropping fast and with that cool breeze the risk seems high for tornadoes or hail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 04:48 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,435,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Anyone else sleeping in Miami experience the thunderstorm at 4:15 AM? The wind was gusting over 50 MPH and the lightning was flashing just like in Wilma. I guess I am not used to this because at my home I sleep right through the most powerful storms. What a wierd feeling and a flashback to hurricanes like Andrew, Frances, Katrina, Wilma, etc. I will be awake until the storms pass as the barometer is dropping fast and with that cool breeze the risk seems high for tornadoes or hail.
tallrick, they hit me up here at 5am and threw me wide awake too. No flashbacks yet though, I haven't experienced what you have down here. Almost 7am now, they're gone. Pretty quiet. Looks like a messy day ahead though, no worries, I'm headed to work anyway.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,103,421 times
Let me set the scene: 430AM, thunder crackling, wind blowing, raining horitontally, car alarms going off, neighbor's baby cring, dog barking. I had to get up and close the windows as I felt the rain blowing in as a fine mist. I fell back asleep 5 minutes later though. The power did go out though, because the fan stopped blowing. Came back on around 6AM. The street is full of small branches and dry leaves from all the wind and rain, but there are no puddles or standing water left over. Nice and refreshing morning...

Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 AM

984 posts, read 4,297,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yes, that storm overnight even terrified me for a little, I thought that maybe was a tornado, because the sound of strong winds. Here the power didn't went out.

And the forecast says that will have more storms from today until tuesday/wednesday.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:37 AM

854 posts, read 2,854,707 times
I didn't notice a thing lol.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:39 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,670,915 times
Just woke up from the night, and yes it is cooler, sunny and quiet. My mother reminded me that since a tarp is covering part of the roof, it adds to my stress level. Dealing with Miami-Dade building department and Team Metro has prevented repair of the roof, so I am going to have to do a temporary fix before hurricane season because the only thing keeping the rain out is a tarp I got from a garage sale. I was surprised the power did not go out, but FPL was sending their tree cutters a month ago so maybe that helped. I enjoy the daytime thunderstorms, but those nighttime windy events are stressful. Every hurricane I have been through came at night.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:28 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,103,421 times
What about Wilma? Her peak was around daybreak, so you could "see" most of it. Katrina was also at dusk, you were able to see quite a bit before dark. Irene was a daytime event. Not that they were BIG storms...

Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,389,720 times
Wow, I slept right through it, thank goodness, otherwise I would of probably had the same anxiety as Tallrick.

My parents were in the Keys and said the patio furniture got blown all to one side of the deck. Must have been a bad thunderstorm.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 PM

37 posts, read 156,799 times
It came through the Grove around 4:30 am and it woke me up too... Rain coming down sideways, big thunder and gusty winds. Nothing got damaged in my place, but a friend up in M. Shores had some damage to take care of this morning.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM

984 posts, read 4,297,564 times
And probably between today and tomorrow we will experience this again, more showers and storms are developing, now ( 9:22pm ) the National Weather Service issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning until 9:45 for parts of Miami-Dade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami