Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times

Advertisements

It's been my experience that those who say they don't see/experience the rude people here are class act selfish jerks themselves... Which makes sense...

We've made it to the top of countless lists of "rudest people" in the country, area, world, to tourists...

Just look at the reactions on this thread

Not one post showing compassion.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 12-11-2018 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
People here are unfriendly because there is no common culture that unites everyone. People moved her and destroyed the local culture by importing the crap they moved here to escape. The grass is always greener on the other side but if you bring weeds with you and plant them sooner or later the grass will become weeds. People come here to escape high taxes yet we now have very high taxes. Why? Because they don't let go of the stupid crap that made them move here in the first place. People don't adapt. They just say stupid things like Back in NY or in my country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I think contributing to the “unfriendly” atmosphere are some/many native Floridians who resent having been priced out of their hometown by transplants (domestic and foreign) that have brought their wealth from elsewhere and have jacked up housing prices and overall COL while the local economy does not provide enough or as many higher paying opportunities as other large MSA’s while traffic worsens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
This is a very wise comment and very true.

As a Miami native I barely recall what Miami's culture was pre-Latin invasion
I remember Miami in the 50s and 60s, it nowhere near that now. Two thirds of Florida's population now is not from Florida. Why do people move somewhere they like and then try to change it? Personally, I don't want anyone else to move here, I liked old Florida more.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:39 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I remember Miami in the 50s and 60s, it nowhere near that now. Two thirds of Florida's population now is not from Florida. Why do people move somewhere they like and then try to change it? Personally, I don't want anyone else to move here, I liked old Florida more.
I don’t mind immigrants or different cultures. It’s just the crowds and inflation.
I don’t see what we’ve gained from the all the supposed positives of increased tourism and southward migrations.

I liked having the beach to ourselves in the summer, and heck, the snowbirds were a pretty small population
back then and were often owners of local businesses. So they contributed instead of demanding. AtlanticAvenue downtown was pretty much owned by Delray natives and a few families from New England.

It wasn’t that that long ago that Delray, for example, was nowhere land. It was nice, then it went downhill, now it’s berserk.

If we wanted action we went to Lauderdale or Miami. It was our slice of paradise.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I don’t mind immigrants or different cultures. It’s just the crowds and inflation.
AtlanticAvenue downtown was pretty much owned by Delray natives and a few families from New England.

It wasn’t that that long ago that Delray, for example, was nowhere land. It was nice, then it went downhill, now it’s berserk.

If we wanted action we went to Lauderdale or Miami. It was our slice of paradise.
Great post. Unfortunately.

I'd like to thank our greedy and corrupt politicians and developers personally for ruining paradise.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 AM

482 posts, read 418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
This is a very wise comment and very true.

As a Miami native I barely recall what Miami's culture was pre-Latin invasion

From what I have read, it was a mere outpost; end of the line for Flagler's railroad. Mostly cows and citrus. Maybe we're going back a bit far?

BUT, that was how Orlando started out, so maybe I'm not too far off?

Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 PM

227 posts, read 246,993 times
I didn’t read all the responses but I’m a transplant from South Carolina. When I first moved here, I had the nice southern hospitality (holding doors open for others, saying “sir” or “ma’am,” being friendly on the roads, etc) but since moving here, a lot of those habits have gone away. Once I saw people were in their own little world and could care less about being hospitable, my polite habits have gone away. The funny thing is when my mom visits me, people actually comment how friendly she is with everyone. She agrees that she could never live somewhere this rude. When it comes down to it, if you’re from here or a major city, the rudeness doesn’t stand out.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:09 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,534,932 times
Well a time machine doesn’t exist and SoFla of the 1960’s or 1970’s is not returning.

You hear the same things in other cities and on other CD forums—“I wish this were the California, Colorado, etc etc etc of the 1960’s or 1970’s, traffic was not as bad, people were more friendly, housing was more affordable”, etc etc etc.

Those ships have sailed, time to move on...desirable year-round cosmopolitan, state income tax free, warm weather ocean cities are far and few between and attract people from all over the country and the globe with COL rising as a result. Different cultures (within and outside US), more traffic, some/many priced out of the area leads to more resentment and less koombaya. If your commute time has doubled and/or affordability is an issue, that will breed discontent, not nirvana.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-12-2018 at 06:22 AM..

Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
When it comes down to it, if you’re from here or a major city, the rudeness doesn’t stand out.
Yet when I go to NYC, I've never encountered what we experience here (I'm not saying there are no rude people in NYC.).

My friends who moved here from NY insist the nasty folks here are the ones who couldn't afford to own a home up there, were able to buy one here, and now think they're all that.

It's just odd.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:10 AM

622 posts, read 426,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
I didn’t read all the responses but I’m a transplant from South Carolina. When I first moved here, I had the nice southern hospitality (holding doors open for others, saying “sir” or “ma’am,” being friendly on the roads, etc) but since moving here, a lot of those habits have gone away. Once I saw people were in their own little world and could care less about being hospitable, my polite habits have gone away. The funny thing is when my mom visits me, people actually comment how friendly she is with everyone. She agrees that she could never live somewhere this rude. When it comes down to it, if you’re from here or a major city, the rudeness doesn’t stand out.

It's called a city.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:14 AM

227 posts, read 246,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
It's called a city.
That’s what my last sentence said if you could read
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami