Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM

433 posts, read 953,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Wow.... A while back I got into some "exchanges" on a few threads about Cubans - now and then. I did say that "Cubans built Miami" and I got some flack about that. I'm one of those that came in 1961 as a little girl ALONE. My mother sent me ahead to a friend's house and then she came a few months later, not really knowing if we would ever see each other again.

I'm glad to see this thread.

Woaaao, Every time I have met a Peter Pan kid Im grateful to have came to this country, even, if it was in banana boat. Peter Pan kids are the most heartbreaking story in the Cuban migration. What can I tell you? God bless you

Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
I completely agree! Well said! Miami today is a city with people from everywhere, for everyone. Cubans came and were hard working and made positive changes for Miami (I'm a white non-Hispanic living in Miami).

Cuban immigrants have been hard working because they have had something with which to work:

Quote:
In order to provide aid to recently arrived Cuban immigrants, the United States Congress passed the Cuban Adjustment Act in 1966. The Cuban Refugee Program provided more than $1.3 billion of direct financial assistance. They also were eligible for public assistance, Medicare, free English courses, scholarships, and low-interest college loans. Some banks even pioneered loans for exiles who did not have collateral or credit but received help in getting a business loan simply because they were of Cuban descent. These loans enabled many Cuban Americans to secure funds and start up their own businesses. Cuban American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No other immigrant group in the history of the United States has enjoyed the perks given to Cubans who make it to the shores of the US. Of course they've been successful.

I'm also a white, non-Hispanic who has lived in Miami since 1951,

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Castro forced the good cubans to take 20-30 thousand criminals (the one who formed the latin kings chapter of NYC was 1 one of those 20 thousands).

the ones before the mariel boatlift were good educated cubans.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Yeah, comparing Robert Mugabe to Democrats, which is what you are actually doing, makes sense. At lest you didn't call them all Hitlers. From your perspective, anyone to the right of Rush Limbaugh is a communist. You should form a coalition with the old-time Cubans.

A lot of the big banks are in reality insolvent. They have a lot of toxic debt on their books. They did that because of their poor management. In fact, through deregulation, the government gave them enough rope with which to hang themselves. They will eventually collapse without government assistance.

The choice is to let them collapse, with the real possibility that the world economy would spiral downward as a result, or for the government to bail them out. As a conservative, I would expect you to maintain the position that the free market should prevail, and the banks should be allowed to collapse.

But if they do get a bailout, with taxpayer money, then the taxpayers have a say as to how things are run. The current managers ran their businesses into the ground, doing what they thought was good.

You know about Zimbabwe? Good. Why don't you leave the right-wing echo chamber for a moment and read about the banking crisis in Sweden in the 90's, and how that was handled.

Given your rigid ideology, do you ever stop and think about why the quality of life is higher in Sweden than it is here? Or why the health care system is so much better in France? Is it possible that religious devotion to any political ideology might not be the best path?

Very well said!!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:38 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Very well said!!
This has my vote as well !!!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Yeah, comparing Robert Mugabe to Democrats, which is what you are actually doing, makes sense. At lest you didn't call them all Hitlers.
Usually its libs that compare everyone to Hitler.

Quote:
From your perspective, anyone to the right of Rush Limbaugh is a communist. You should form a coalition with the old-time Cubans.
Well, they vote right I'll give them that. Maybe having actually experienced evil and seen a powermad dictator destroy one's country might give one enough insight to vote correctly. Eastern Europeans also recognize evil and vote appropriately

Quote:
A lot of the big banks are in reality insolvent. They have a lot of toxic debt on their books. They did that because of their poor management. In fact, through deregulation, the government gave them enough rope with which to hang themselves. They will eventually collapse without government assistance.
Because of pressure put on banks by Rangel, Schummer, and other ranking Dems from 2006 on to make loans to people who couldn't afford to pay them off, yes, banks acquired bad debt.

Quote:
The choice is to let them collapse, with the real possibility that the world economy would spiral downward as a result, or for the government to bail them out. As a conservative, I would expect you to maintain the position that the free market should prevail, and the banks should be allowed to collapse.
Yes, I think they should be allowed to collapase and the FDIC should bail out individuals who have their money in those banks. Taxpayer money should not be used to bail out banks or other institutions who are "too big to be allowed to fail". You know what we used to do with institutions that were "too big to be allowed to fail" in this country? We broke them up. Standard Oil, the railroad monopolies, AT&T. Yes, I beleive in the free market. It's worked for thousands of years. As long as you keep government out of it, it works fine.

Quote:
But if they do get a bailout, with taxpayer money, then the taxpayers have a say as to how things are run. The current managers ran their businesses into the ground, doing what they thought was good.
I have to relectantly agree with this one that if the CEO's are stupid enough to take the money then they have to agree to have their salaries limited. I just think it sets a dangerous precedent. After all, Dems have used class warfare for a long time in their politics. I can see motions gaining traction to limit all sorts of people's salaries that the elite consider too high.

Quote:
You know about Zimbabwe? Good. Why don't you leave the right-wing echo chamber for a moment and read about the banking crisis in Sweden in the 90's, and how that was handled.
I was not aware of Sweden's banking crisis in the 90s. I have since read up on it here: http://www.creditwritedowns.com/2008...nse-model.html

It may or may not work in this country. There are some big differences between Sweden and the US.

Quote:

Given your rigid ideology, do you ever stop and think about why the quality of life is higher in Sweden than it is here? Or why the health care system is so much better in France? Is it possible that religious devotion to any political ideology might not be the best path?
Health care in France? Wow, I don't know about France but I know how bad it is in England, which should be similar to France. How would you like to haev to wait until you go blind in one eye AS A POLICY before you are allowed to get treatment for the other eye. Read about it here: Bloomberg.com: Opinion
It took the Brits three years to get that stupid policy reversed. Health care, like economics in general, is another area where government can only interfear, not help.

Edit: One more thing. I listen to NPR on the way home from work everyday. Hardly a conservative echo chamber.

Last edited by rogerbacon; 02-12-2009 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami