U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 AM

6,317 posts, read 12,225,323 times
Yes
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 AM

809 posts, read 1,260,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiVice1985 View Post
I think Miami was A LOT different in 1992 than it i now. 16 years is a long time, especially for a city like Miami. I think that the changes this city has gone through since Andrew would hurt its chances for surviving a Katrina, not help it.

Example,

Remember the power outage that hit us a couple month ago? How did drivers take to those intersections that had lost power. 95 percent of those drivers blew past those intersections without stopping, yielding, nothing! I could not believe my eyes. How could people be so obtuse? The other 5 percent got hit.

Wilma showed us how well we prepare for hurricanes here in South Florida in the 21st century. Remember the gas lines? The police guarding the water sections at Publix? If we had a Katrina you might as well multiply these hardships by 10. Also, if it was not for ASPLUNDH, a nationwide tree removal company, there would still be crap littering parts of town.
I refuse to believe this. I live in Hialeah, repeat, HIALEAH, and it was almost like watching an episode of the Twilight Zone when people reached an intersection with no light: After you; no after you; No no After you (but in Spanish of course LOl).
I saw neighbors helping neighbors. Anyone with a tool was helping a neighbor. Everyone did what they could. I was actually proud of South Florida as a whole.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 AM

4,604 posts, read 4,666,783 times
The ONLY reason Katrina was such a deadly and bad storm is because it hit New Orleans. Any other Hurricane ready city it would have been your "normal" once in every 5-10 year major hurricane. 30 deaths or so, 5-10 billion in damage etc.. Katrina was not that powerful of a storm New Orleans is just the worst place in the United States for a hurricane to hit. The levy broke which caused the majority of deaths and damage. Flood waters killed people not winds. This is true for almost all hurricanes. Miami is not a very flood prone place. We have the eveglades and one side and the ocean on the other. We have a small land mass so storms pass by us quick. Katrina would have been bad don't get me wrong it was a powerful storm. But the destruction would be no where near what it did in NOLA. That area of the country and especially NOLA was completely unprepared for any hurricane.
At land fall Katrina had winds of about 125mph cat 3! Wilma had winds of 120mph at landfall with winds being around 110mph most of the time but there were reports of higher sustained winds over Florida. And we cant compare the two storms in terms of damage and death because of two reasons. Katrina hit NOLA a city under sea level and Florida is a state which is by far the most prepared in the United States for hurricanes ever since Andrew hit.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:14 PM

8,263 posts, read 15,501,984 times
I had a weather station in the backyard at my home and my parent's home during both Katrina and Wilma. At no time did sustained winds exceed 90 mph. Both Katrina and Wilma damaged trees and during Katrina a large branch ripped the electrical service out of my parent's home. I had fixed it by the next day but power was not restored for a week. Wilma blew up to 81 mph sustained winds from the south and pushed a 50 foot bischoffia tree through their roof and water poured in for two hours until the rain stopped as we put a tarp and garbage can to catch the water and a siphon hose to direct it out the back door. I was on the roof the same day and fixed the hole and replaced the broken beam before night time. My memory was being super paranoid about the county car coming to harass me like they did after hurricane Frances, but since both storms in 2005 were declared disasters, code enforcement was suspended. I was giving out ice to friends and neighbors since our generator was giving us full power.

Really, I am so happy to have moved inland to a strong house so I will never have to risk my life in a hurricane at home. Once my parents move from the old house I will have complete peace of mind. The silver lining of a hurricane is that I believe Miami will experience a revival and become a friendly city because a major storm will end the foreign investment and endless real estate bubbles that push the "Miami" attitude. A cat 3+ storm will restore a sense of community and without endless money to blow in rebuilding, a new sustainable Miami will be the result.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:17 PM

1,145 posts, read 969,634 times
(note: I'm responding to a post from 2008)

Quote:
2)Like New Orleans, Miami is a party town. Tourism in New Orleans now takes place under the backdrop of the largest human disaster in American history, behind the Galveston, TX hurricane of 1900. New Orleans will never be the same.
New Orleans won't be the same, alright. It's been permanently improved by Katrina. Much of the riff-raff was driven out (to Houston, Atlanta, etc). The median income is up 25%, an astonishing figure given the state of the national economy.

I'm not sure why, but it was the opposite dynamic of Andrew, which drove the people with means out of Homestead and left mostly riff-raff.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 PM

34 posts, read 22,899 times
Quote:
What if a hurricane hit South Florida somewhere "near" Miami, either by way of the everglades from the west or from the gulfstream as a strong category 4 or 5. (When Katrina hit us it was a Category 1, or was it a tropical Storm?)
The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 that hit the middle keys came with an 18 foot storm surge. Miami is only 8 or 10 feet above water. This county is a menagerie of drainage canals built to "tame" the everglades and make urban sprawl possible. So here's a scenario...

EQUATION...ADD THESE UP

--->10 plus foot storm surge from either the everglades or the ocean (1935 Hurricane that kit the keys was 18 feet)
--->Complete shutdown/failure of Army Corps drainage systems (probable-these systems were built in the 1950's and are poorly maintained)
--->Incompetent city/county leaders (100% certainty)
--->Lack of leadeship (obvious)
--->Culturally diverse areas fail to come together to facilitate evacuation/recovery (See:Language issues)
+________________________________________________

SOUND LIKE KATRINA???
New York came together across all racial and cultural lines during 9-11 but New Orleans did not so I respect New York for its unity and New Orleans is just a reflection of the backwards south. I think Miami is better unified than New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami