Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 11:06 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

For the second time in a couple of years, I have gotten an "invoice" from the Miami-Dade Expressway Authority, claiming I owe them money for evidently running through a toll booth without paying. I have not been in the Miami area in over 10 years, maybe more. I live clear on the other coast of Florida !

The bill they sent shows a Cadillac from the rear that looks like mine, but the license plate number is not the one on my car and has never been a plate registered to me. This one is only for $2.03, but I will not pay it and will contact them to tell them I am not. The problem is, the back of these things show you 10 ways to pay it, but not one solid place to contact them to fight it. They seem to intentionally make it to intimidate and confuse you so that you give up and just pay the damn thing...…...not gonna happen here !

The last time this happened, it took me forever to find the right dept to call, and then they simply said, "Oh, the number LOOKED like your plate number, someone hit the wrong key on the computer !" No s*** !!

I will fight for one penny if there is a principle involved, and I am going to find a way to contact them and deny this claim. Have any of you over there , or elsewhere, gotten one of these bogus charges ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 12:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
It is not a scam, it is an error, there is a way to contact them. This has happened to me, but in my case it was a licence plate that canned to being mine, but it and the car was obviously not. A simple five minute phone call fixed it.

It is a "toll-by-plate" meaning you just drive, no stopping to pay or anything, a camera takes the picture and sends an invoice.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:21 PM

Thanks for that information. What is really weird is that I have had this car for almost 7 years, it has never been to Miami as long as I have owned it, and I haven't been there in any car for more years than that. However, it looks just like my car from the rear, and the license plate they assigned to it IS mine. So, I am really confused now.

No one else ever drives my car, no one, I am single, so it isn't like someone else went there in my car. I am going to call them Monday and see what's what. Two bucks ain't the issue, just the point of this not being any way me.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 PM

Oooops !!! I just figured this out. This was not in Miami, it was in Tampa. The form just comes from Miami. I was in Tampa in October, and remember driving on a toll road, but at the end of it there was no booth to pay, so I figured it really wasn't a toll road. This bill is for that day on that road.

Weird that it took 3 months to bill me. I mentioned this to my son, and he said he was just in Tampa to pick up something, and the same thing happened to him, no where to pay, and he expects a bill to come in the mail sometime in the future.

So...……...nevermind !

Old 01-26-2019, 10:19 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
Expressways are basically removing toll booths little by little,I dont think there's been an actual physical toll booth taking cash in Miami for years now,at some point they'll be gone from all the roads.You basically have to have a sunpass transponder on your car or pay the higher toll amounts when they send you the bill by mail.Luckily I dont need to take expressways so I just randomly add money to my sunpass when I use it and it gets low in balance but I have family in Miami who have to take the expressways and they basically put $200+ in tolls monthly.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:20 PM

I didn't know that. I figured it was the same screw up that they pulled on me a few years ago, when they admitted a clerk hit the wrong key and put in my plate number. But this one was different, it was legit and I paid them today.

What a goofy system, though. I went there in October, and just got the invoice now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami