Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 07:33 AM

14 posts, read 13,719 times

Advertisements

So the story goes like this. I'm moving from a colder state into Miami because I got a job there. My greatest fear right now is getting robbed or having some crime take place. I do stand out a little, I will be a minority in Miami. The job is located in Doral, and I have been looking for places not TOO far away from it that are hopefully safe.

I was considering to move to sweetwater or doral because its just so close to work but then I started to read about the crime. I can afford to live in a gated community (lower end cheaper but not too bad), but is that really safe?
I heard people say good things about Coral Gables and Kendall and Coconut Grove but they are about 25-35 minutes away from work which I dont mind much. Pembroke pines too but is it actually a nice place?

My question is this to anyone who is from Miami, What is a decent neighborhood I can move into that isnt TOO far away from my work and is relatively safe while not being toooo costly (I want to be able to go for walks or ride my bike around the neighborhood or walk to a nearby store or park my car and not worry about it getting the window smashed in or stolen). I can afford up to 1500 a month for rent.

Thank you,
-Your friend from a colder state

P.S. (any areas I should avoid in general? Any nice for a good stroll?)

Last edited by Taxmysoul; 04-26-2019 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times
Doral is perfectly nice. If you are working in Doral, then that's exactly where you should live. It doesn't get much safer in Miami than Doral.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
The biggest issue with Doral is culture shock if you are white non Hispanic and you don't speak Spanish. If this is an issue and you want less culture shock, Pembroke pines and Weston in Broward is a doable commute to Doral.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:02 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxmysoul View Post
So the story goes like this. I'm moving from a colder state into Miami because I got a job there. My greatest fear right now is getting robbed or having some crime take place. I do stand out a little, I will be a minority in Miami. The job is located in Doral, and I have been looking for places not TOO far away from it that are hopefully safe.

I was considering to move to sweetwater or doral because its just so close to work but then I started to read about the crime. I can afford to live in a gated community (lower end cheaper but not too bad), but is that really safe?
I heard people say good things about Coral Gables and Kendall and Coconut Grove but they are about 25-35 minutes away from work which I dont mind much. Pembroke pines too but is it actually a nice place?

My question is this to anyone who is from Miami, What is a decent neighborhood I can move into that isnt TOO far away from my work and is relatively safe while not being toooo costly (I want to be able to go for walks or ride my bike around the neighborhood or walk to a nearby store or park my car and not worry about it getting the window smashed in or stolen). I can afford up to 1500 a month for rent.

Thank you,
-Your friend from a colder state

P.S. (any areas I should avoid in general? Any nice for a good stroll?)

Sweetwater is kind of not the nicest area.

Doral is nice. Just find a place in Doral.

The other places you mentioned will be more than 25-35 min commute because of all the traffic.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:58 AM

52 posts, read 119,073 times
I recommend Miami Springs. You are in very close proximity to the Doral. Very safe, quiet, residential neighborhood with lots of walking and bike paths and other activities year-round.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:03 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
To the OP what type of minority are you that you fear will lead you to being robbed or become a victim of a crime?

Old 04-26-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Doral is perfectly nice. If you are working in Doral, then that's exactly where you should live. It doesn't get much safer in Miami than Doral.
Thanks for all the answers everyone! I just worry because I read doral has a 1-35 crime rate and it kinda worried me. I want to be able to walk around an area and not fear for safety or getting robbed or having my cars window smashed in (its not a high end car but its in nice shape and holding value).

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmrmustard View Post
I recommend Miami Springs. You are in very close proximity to the Doral. Very safe, quiet, residential neighborhood with lots of walking and bike paths and other activities year-round.
Too expensive, i've looked at it haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
To the OP what type of minority are you that you fear will lead you to being robbed or become a victim of a crime?
White, i've been a victim of robbing so I know I can be a target (Its not race as the #1 worry, cars getting stolen or windows smashed in is worrisome and cars dont have a race... unless they're racing in daytona :P )

Old 04-26-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
The biggest issue with Doral is culture shock if you are white non Hispanic and you don't speak Spanish. If this is an issue and you want less culture shock, Pembroke pines and Weston in Broward is a doable commute to Doral.
I dont really experience culture shock, grew up in a VERY diverse region. I'm fine with adjusting.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:37 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,199,673 times
The thing is Doral is 80% Hispanic and 14% white non Hispanic. So it's not really diverse other than a mix of different Hispanic cultures Cuban, Venuezuelan, etc. If you like diversity as in a mix of different races living together Broward actually gives you that much more than Hispanic dominated Miami.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
The thing is Doral is 80% Hispanic and 14% white non Hispanic. So it's not really diverse other than a mix of different Hispanic cultures Cuban, Venuezuelan, etc. If you like diversity as in a mix of different races living together Broward actually gives you that much more than Hispanic dominated Miami.
I really dont mind it honestly. As long as its not a criminal slum i'm fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami