U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 AM

16 posts, read 43,945 times

Advertisements

Miami is my favorite vacation spot and i go 2x in a year.

The thing that really bugs me on the(where i spend most of the time) beach are the homeless people. By homeless i mean elderly people.

I'm from The netherlands (Amsterdam) and ofcourse we have our problems there too, but you would never see people over 70 years old sleeping on busstations or benches next too the streets.

I saw a woman on miami beach she looked like she was 70+ or maybe even older, she was in such pain and dirty and nobody seems to care because she's there for a long time.

I was talking to a guy (miami local) on the beach and we talked about miami being a cool vacationspot, then he is asked me if i ever been to the real miami behind the bridge where it's all dirty and all the poor people live.
I then realised i've been closing my eyes all this time because i did notice it's filthy en alot of crime happens because people dont have money.

To me now it's very disturbing to party on the beach knowing there are so many poor people that don't even stand a chance to have a better life.

It is sad, miami could be alot better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:18 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,153,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxzone View Post
Miami is my favorite vacation spot and i go 2x in a year.

The thing that really bugs me on the(where i spend most of the time) beach are the homeless people. By homeless i mean elderly people.

I'm from The netherlands (Amsterdam) and ofcourse we have our problems there too, but you would never see people over 70 years old sleeping on busstations or benches next too the streets.

I saw a woman on miami beach she looked like she was 70+ or maybe even older, she was in such pain and dirty and nobody seems to care because she's there for a long time.

I was talking to a guy (miami local) on the beach and we talked about miami being a cool vacationspot, then he is asked me if i ever been to the real miami behind the bridge where it's all dirty and all the poor people live.
I then realised i've been closing my eyes all this time because i did notice it's filthy en alot of crime happens because people dont have money.

To me now it's very disturbing to party on the beach knowing there are so many poor people that don't even stand a chance to have a better life.

It is sad, miami could be alot better.

Yes, it's sad that there are homeless people. All major cities around the world have them, and have their filthy areas.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,243,787 times
Just to paint a picture, in case you are not aware of the history of Miami Beach. All those hotels, clubs and restaurants that you see now, many of them used to be apartments and residential housing. Most were occupied in the '80s by older people who had retired there. As they started to die off, developers bought the properties and turned Miami Beach into what it is today. I'm sure there were many older people who had lived there that found themselves suddenly displaced and unable to afford a new place to live.

The cost of housing in the Miami area has risen drastically in a short period of time, and with that property taxes have as well. Some people found themselves unable to pay the taxes on house that tripled in value in a relatively short period of time, and I'm sure the elderly were hit harder than most in some cases. I'm guessing that this could be another contributing factor.

There are many reasons for homelessness, but I think that on South Beach in particular, gentrification is part of the issue (albeit not the whole issue). The other thing is the fact that it is a tourist area, the weather is decent most of the year, and there are always people around. Those are perfect conditions for panhandlers.

Unfortunately, I think more people are 'disgusted' by seeing these people than feeling any kind of compassion for them. Sure, some are not legitimately homeless or in need, but for those who are, I just don't think there is a compelling desire to help from enough people who are capable of helping.

Last edited by miamiblue; 04-17-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Yes, it's sad that there are homeless people. All major cities around the world have them, and have their filthy areas.
I know every big city got these issues. The only thing i meant to say is that we (tourists) all see the filth and broke down houses before we enter the beach. and it's just so sad that (in my case) i spend all this money on the beach, and when i go back home and drive the way to the airport i see all these people living in such poverty and dont stand a chance.

We have also poor people in Amsterdam, but not as poor a i've seen in Miami.

I mentioned Miami because Florida and Alabama are the only two places i've been at in America.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:23 AM

483 posts, read 1,450,268 times
Its really no different than any other place. Beyond the bridge there is also Coral Gables, Palmetto Bay, Kendall, Miami shores, Miami Lakes, Doral, and countless more quite, middle, upper class areas throughout the county, the majority of the county is middle upper class for gods sake! Whats the poverty rate in Dade county? around the high teens? I know its slightly higher than the national average but its not an outstandingly high number, pretty average.
And about the homelss on the beach, homeless always gravitate towards tourist spots, and busy sections of cities, you'll find homeless people in most large beaches in this country. I dont spend too much time im SoBe I go more to sunny isles and up in Hollywood. Sunny Isles not that much but Hollywood also has alot of homeless people because the same reasons.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM

45 posts, read 143,871 times
This may sound a bit flip, but I think homeless people flock to Miami because of the weather. I would too if I didn't have a roof over my head.

Coming from Europe, I'm sure you've seen the filth of the Paris, Rome and Barcelona. I would not say Miami is worse by any stretch. Barcelona is in fact the worst smelling city I've ever been to in my life, and the Paris Metro having some of the most disgusting stenches known to man with its fair share of 'san toits' calling it home.

And if you really want to see homeless, go to any major city in Eastern Europe (I highly recommend Katowice, Poland) and hang around the train stations. Miami will look (and smell) like Paradise in comparison.

No offense, but you've got some pretty nasty places on your side of the ocean too.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Guys i have nothing against Miami, again it's my favorite vacation spot.

Just never seen people that old homeless in Europe, and i just wonder why.

It seems Miami is paradise at least it was to me, but now that i've seen more of the mainland areas im kinda sad that theres so much poverty

Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM

147 posts, read 161,123 times
Good recommendations. I bought a bum a hot dinner at Publix last night. I've never done that before... I wouldn't go as far as to blame a tourist for not volunteering at homeless shelters... All he did is "witness" the homeless and report it. I never heard the term 'guilt by witnessing' before.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 PM

546 posts, read 2,019,555 times
Quote:
I mentioned Miami because Florida and Alabama are the only two places i've been at in America.
That explains your post. You wouldn't be surprised if you went to any other major city/metro area in this country. Especially tourist spots/hangouts where there is always someone there. Old or young, homelessness and poverty don't discriminate.

These homeless people depend on tourists or drunk locals partying to give them cash and usually find someone to give it to them which is why they're on South Beach.

FX- if you click on that banana wealth link MiamiVice is advertising, you'll beg to God you had those 35 seconds of your life back.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,994,852 times
Quote:
I know every big city got these issues. The only thing i meant to say is that we (tourists) all see the filth and broke down houses before we enter the beach. and it's just so sad that (in my case) i spend all this money on the beach, and when i go back home and drive the way to the airport i see all these people living in such poverty and dont stand a chance.

We have also poor people in Amsterdam, but not as poor a i've seen in Miami.

Yea ,you have a very limited scope about America's poverty if you have only been to two states, there is poverty all over this country and worse than in Miami by far in major cities,such as Chicago and New York,Detroit and Cleveland to name a few.The Appalachian area of this country is very poor,along with states like Missisiippi and Arkansas. However it is not poverty analogous to Third-World Countries,at least there are homeless shelters and soup kitchens that the needy and one's who have given up on life can go to and get a meal and get out of the elements.

It is the way of this country there are rich people and there are poor, and the hard-working middle-class,and that is the way it will always be for America. Miami's problems are no different than any other big city,there will still be more gentrification of the less fortunate people who will have to move so their neighborhoods are bulldozed over to make way for new expensive dwellings and leave some of the gentrified homeless along with the numerous foreclosures that are happening will tend to make people move elsewhere or become homeless. This is happening in Miami and counties right above Miami-Dade as I am typing this and this is an issue that has to be resolved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami