Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,212 times

Advertisements

I am interested in buying waterfront properties in Miami / fort lauderdale. These are newly constructed properties. I have no experience with Hurricane / Floods as I live in Washington State.
Do houses get severely damaged during hurricanes? Especially since the houses are ocean front houses? How do people usually deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:09 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,674,261 times
Yes, they get completely wiped out and you have to rebuild the entire thing each time, average once a year this happens, can get expensive. Better avoid.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:52 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,322,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowthamn View Post
Do houses get severely damaged during hurricanes? Especially since the houses are ocean front houses? How do people usually deal with this?
Ocean front or waterfront, big difference here in Miami. (very few ocean front houses in Miami, more so in Ft Lauderdale).

Newer construction homes have the impact windows and built to better codes. the biggest concern would be flooding. But, plenty of homes from the 1920s-1940s still standing (including all over South Beach) that have been through all the 'canes that have come through our fair town.

Miami hasn't had a direct hit since Andrew and that was more so southern Dade county. Dorian missed us, Matthew missed, Irma turned and caused some flooding of condos that directly face the bay, but no devastation like you saw in the Bahamas last week.

Oceanfront homes are usually high 7 figures, even 8 figures. Golden Beach is really the only part of Miami that has ocean front houses. Bay front homes much more common, they usually start @ 1ML and then will go up depending if it has fixed bridges or not (limits the boat length) and if its a tear down or not.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 AM

11,136 posts, read 15,902,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Oceanfront homes are usually high 7 figures, even 8 figures. Golden Beach is really the only part of Miami that has ocean front houses. Bay front homes much more common, they usually start @ 1ML and then will go up depending if it has fixed bridges or not (limits the boat length) and if its a tear down or not.

Hope that helps!
FWIW, North Beach has some oceanfront houses along Atlantic Way. A few of them are even for sale at the moment. Here's the cheapest (The others are 8 figures.):

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M67330-37957

Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM

42 posts, read 38,673 times
[quote=gowthamn;56131140]I am interested in buying waterfront properties in Miami / fort lauderdale.

----------------------------------------
You might want to read " The Water Will Come" by Jeff Goodell, before buying any property in the Miami or coastal Florida areas. I have no personal experience with living in Florida, but rising sea levels and stronger hurricanes would make me think twice about buying there.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,993,985 times
Fort Lauderdale also has very few oceanfront houses. Water front yes but not a lot on the ocean.

You'll find more of that from Palm Beach county north to Maine.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,212 times
Thanks all. I did find many houses in Miami which are ocean front. My budget is relatively high at 30 to 40 Million.
But considering the hurricane worries, I think California might be a better option.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:11 PM

113 posts, read 140,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowthamn View Post
Thanks all. I did find many houses in Miami which are ocean front. My budget is relatively high at 30 to 40 Million.
But considering the hurricane worries, I think California might be a better option.

If you like earthquakes!

Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM

1,332 posts, read 2,168,380 times
You do know you can Cat 5 proof your home and build to 250 MPH wind standards. If your budget is really that large, I would purchase a lot/tear down, get a high end architect and engineer and build your concrete waterfront fortress.

It can be done. The construction is called ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) and it is rated at 250MPH.

Here's one such example in Miami. Much of the high end recent new waterfront construction in Miami is very hurricane resistant. We are talking concrete/steel reinforced flat roofs that double as expansive waterfront roof top party decks and hurricane impact glass windows.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/26/disa...8-million.html

Old 09-09-2019, 06:42 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,322,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
You do know you can Cat 5 proof your home and build to 250 MPH wind standards. If your budget is really that large, I would purchase a lot/tear down, get a high end architect and engineer and build your concrete waterfront fortress.

It can be done. The construction is called ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) and it is rated at 250MPH.

Here's one such example in Miami. Much of the high end recent new waterfront construction in Miami is very hurricane resistant. We are talking concrete/steel reinforced flat roofs that double as expansive waterfront roof top party decks and hurricane impact glass windows.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/26/disa...8-million.html
Very true!

Plus, Lots of Cali has natural erosion so many homes will be gone by the wayside that are up on those dunes/cliffs.

With that budget, you can buy and build in Golden Beach, that's where the ocean front homes are located. There are 1-2 vacant lots left if you want me to send them to you.

Regarding North Beach, I guess those homes are 'ocean front', but very far setback with shared spaces to the ocean on some of them. A true ocean front house is in Golden Beach, Manalapan, Highland Beach (Palm Beach County), etc.

Also, Naples has true ocean front houses that don't need to be torn down in your budget. You can also get 3-4 story homes in Barefoot Beach up in Bonita Springs in the Sub $15ML range all day long. They rent out very well on the AirBnB type sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami