Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Chileto, does money somehow equate to friendliness? If you have ever spent more than a day in Boca Raton, you would know that it is oftentimes the other way around. I avoid that Publix he was talking about because the people who shop there are so rude. Yes the employees are nice but that's more Publix than Weston. I like the Publix on Glades at 75, Bonaventure and Saddle Club or Country Isles Plaza (Although the store itself isn't as nice).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:53 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
Sometimes, I swear, wealth makes people angrier and more unfriendly. Like compelled to say said, just go to Boca Mall for a day and see all the rich people and how unfriendly and angry they appear.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Chileto, does money somehow equate to friendliness? If you have ever spent more than a day in Boca Raton, you would know that it is oftentimes the other way around. I avoid that Publix he was talking about because the people who shop there are so rude. Yes the employees are nice but that's more Publix than Weston. I like the Publix on Glades at 75, Bonaventure and Saddle Club or Country Isles Plaza (Although the store itself isn't as nice).
The people at my Publix, for the most part, are fine (here in West Palm Beach). Some people have actually stopped me before to tell me they like my clothes and such.

Is the Weston one he's referring to the Shoppes on the Green at Weston Publix?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 PM

107 posts, read 367,173 times
At a grocery store, I am too busy shopping to notice someone being rude to me.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:44 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
I've encountered rudeness in alot of places but I mentioned just the Weston Publix and Home Depot because the people at the publix the people were how alot of you describe the rudeness and the home depot because its has probaly the worst customer service than any other place Ive been to but it was only the one on 49th street. But Ive been to stores in malls or other places where one of the workers there might be rude, but the over all description that some of you give seems overly exagerated. And I dont know how different its going to feel in a couple of months?!? I really dont see the logic in that, I know when somebody is rude or not Ive seen rude people many times just like i would anywhere else, but if I would describe Miami I would definetly not say its rude.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
It just startes getting to you after you have the same rude people wait on you consistenly, there is no alternative store that is more customer friendly, etc.

I was suprised that the poster was mentioning the problems in Weston over the ones where he lived initially. I know there are rude people everywhere, and I am not shocked by Weston having its share...but to experience there before in Hialeah or wherever in Dade county was a shock for me to read.

Although, money isolates people from rudeness. They have personal shoppers, go to exclusive stores, etc.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:34 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Do you really think most people in Weston have personal shoppers and that shopping and exclusive stores keeps you away from rudeness? You all know my Bloomingdales story very well, and no I do not have a personal shopper and neither do any of my friends of varying socioeconomic levels. Look, rudeness is everywhere, nice people are everywhere, and you are living in a dream world if you think there is a place where all of the service people at the stores kiss your ass for you and you walk out of the grocery store making lifelong friends every time. Some places are more pleasant than others but humans are humans, and sometimes that illusion of "niceness" isn't all that it seems to be because of that. You just have to find your fit as to what kind of humans you like being around. There is nothing wrong with TannerMan just because his experiences haven't been bad, maybe he just clicks better with the locals than some of you.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
I mentioned the Weston incident because it was this past weekend and how bad it really was and the Home Depot thing (which was weeks ago) because it was just sooo bad, the Publix thing wasn't my "first experience", just sayin. I already said Ive seen rudeness before but just like I would in Orlando, New Jersey, Utah, and LA everywhere that Ive lived. Im not saying Miami is some haven or people are overly nice and polite, its just not a place I would generalize as rude.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
It very much also depends on where you come from. If you come from cold stony New England or from Northern Europe, you are going to find the people of Miami to seem very warm and human compared to the robots of the Tundra. Now if you come from Texas or the old South where neighborliness is a veritable competition and 7-11 clerks want to show you pictures of their kids, then no, Miami will seem like a distant urban rat race.

As I said before, I knew everybody in the President apts in a week, and I have no doubt that if I want to I can walk in the back door of Joe's Stone Crabs say hi to Bones and Cowboy and be seated like VIP even though I haven't seen them in 10 years. Good friends, long term. Very passionate loving people. All crazy though.

In Miami they will love you - however madly!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
Here's an experience I had a couple of years ago at the Outlets in Florida City which I don't know how they're still open as every time I've ever been there it feels like a ghost town with half the stores closed,like 2 places to eat at their "Food Court" and like a max of 10 people shopping.

Well I walk in to that Big Dog store and buy like 2 t-shirts and 2 shorts,I don't think I spent more than $40,I don't remember the exact conversation I had with the girl working the cashier but I DEFINITELY remember her saying "Must be Nice" as far as me being able to go and buy $40 of t-shirts and shorts.I don't know you guys but when I go out to buy something I don't want somebody to make me feel bad for being able to buy something when they're broke and can't.I never go to those outlets any more and rather drive to Sawgrass where it's busy and the employees don't have time to be comparing their ability to go shopping with mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami