Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 AM

17 posts, read 93,538 times

Advertisements

In the 70s we used to stay at the Belmar Hotel in Miami Beach. I believe it was on 21st and beach side of Collins. There was a dolphin sculpture at one end of the pool. The actual hotel was across a concrete boardwalk. I think there was a Sambo's nearby on Collins. Does anybody have any photos of this area - "now and then" type stuff is what I'd like to see. My grandmother used to stay at a hotel called the Fontana, which when I googled, I read a story about a fire. I couldn't find any vintage photos of the Belmar except a post card on ebay. I also remember red sidewalks - this is all memories of about 30+ years ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,034,228 times
I also stayed at The Belmar several times, before I became a permanent resident, in the mid-60s. Oh, yes...... those were fun times on Miami Beach. Lincoln Road shopping, riding the tram, lunch at Lums - those hotdogs steamed in beer; locals were so friendly back then, no language barrier, the beaches were so clean - they used to sweep them every morning with huge machines, = yeah........ I'm gonna cry !

Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Ah, you've made my day coneyisbabe! Don't forget the old Rascal House days, and Wolfie's of course. If you have any pics of the Belmar, I'd love to see them. Either post here or you can email me privately. That pool had the best high diving board!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:24 PM

MissA55, sorry.... I don't have any pics of the Belmar during my visits there. Now that I recall, I also stayed at another small hotel across the street called the Lorraine. Gosh, those old memories do come back. Yeah...... Wolfie's had the best breakfast in the world with the basket of homemade miniature little danishes , bagles & lox.

My first visit to Miami beach in 1965 with my two small kids, made me promise to return and live there because I wanted my kids to grow up in Paradise! That's what Coral Gables was (to me) in 1966 ! We still took the bus, every weekend, to Miami Beach to hang out at the Belmar !

Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 10,382 times
Smile Re: Belmar Hotel/Lorraine Hotel

Hello to both ConeyIsBabe and Miss A55:
I just googled Belmar Hotel and came up with your posts. My family stayed at both hotels in the 60's & 70's - we have such wonderful memories and I do have some pictures of the Belmar. We also have old 8MM movies. I remember lots of poolside activites and we made lots of summer friends. Was wondering if either of you might be some long lost childhood friends who we used to look forward to seeing each summer.

Planning a visit to Miami Beach in a few weeks. I know I will not recognize anything but want to see what Collins & 26th Street looks like now. Would love to hear from you both.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:11 AM

177 posts, read 569,300 times
I envy you guys so much for being alive and getting to live thru that beautiful era. My dad spent a few years here in the mid to late 60's, when things were truly free and wide open, not the concrete jungle it is today. Rumbling V8 musclecars, drive in movies, unique hotels and architecture, pristine beaches, unique bars and even more unique friendly people the list goes on forver, Just looking at those old pictures and seeing how happy people looked, even though most didnt have AC yet makes me wish for simpler times.

By the way i live in North Miami beach and the sidewalks on my street are still red, well barleymost are really faded from the sun, but still i can imagine how cool they must have looked back then. Also you dont see high diving boards anymore, my dad said Miami beach had them everywhere.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM

KrissyLow - We used to go every year at xmas time...but I still would love to see your Belmar pics! Have you scanned any?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Cool Memories.........

It makes me a little sad to recall those Miami Beach days in the mid-60s because it has changed so drastically!

After I retired, in 2001, I relocated 3,000 miles away to the pacific nw - but I do have very fond memories of my tourist days at the Belmar (the pool attendant's name was Adolph), the coconut palm trees, the tourquoise color of the surf, all GONE but not forgotten

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 10,382 times
Default Belmar Hotel

HI Everyone - I actually just ordered an original post card of the Belmar Hotel on e-bay. Once I get that I will scan it in and send it out. I will go through my old photo books and see what I can come up with to send it out.
Found out that the Lorraine Hotel is still there! Read the reviews - still no air conditioning but the pictures are still what I remember.

I remember the activities director - he was Ralph.. Guy behind the desk was Wally. I remember some friends we met there every summer - Joyce Merkel, Eddie Goodman, Bob Della Pinta, Jerry Esposito, etc. It was wonderful seeing the same familiar faces and anticipating weeks of simple good times.

Will be sure to take some pictures when we get down there the end of this month. I live in Los Angeles and try to get to the East Coast once a year.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 PM

177 posts, read 569,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyLow View Post
HI Everyone - I actually just ordered an original post card of the Belmar Hotel on e-bay. Once I get that I will scan it in and send it out. I will go through my old photo books and see what I can come up with to send it out.
Found out that the Lorraine Hotel is still there! Read the reviews - still no air conditioning but the pictures are still what I remember.

I remember the activities director - he was Ralph.. Guy behind the desk was Wally. I remember some friends we met there every summer - Joyce Merkel, Eddie Goodman, Bob Della Pinta, Jerry Esposito, etc. It was wonderful seeing the same familiar faces and anticipating weeks of simple good times.

Will be sure to take some pictures when we get down there the end of this month. I live in Los Angeles and try to get to the East Coast once a year.

Send me one please, I love anything from that era, even though I was born In '79.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami