Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,488 times

Advertisements

Hi all - My wife and I (plus a toddler) have accepted an offer for a job in Doral. We're white, liberal, and lifelong Chicago residents. Housing budget is in the range of $900k. What suburbs/neighborhoods would you recommend for a young, progressive family? I've heard of Coral Gables, but feels like we'd be on the lower end of the price range in that neighborhood. Is Weston too far/boring/conservative? Where would you live with our profile and budget, if you could keep your commute under 45 minutes? Thanks in advance for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 03:03 AM

786 posts, read 616,470 times
Coral Gables is a good place to start, and with that budget you'll find something there.
Weston is good and tucked away, but driving back and forth to Doral will get real old.

Farther East, you have the Tri-Rail as an option if you need, although the rails are light years from other Florida cities, they leave a lot to be desired compared to Northern Metros.

You didn't mention what flavor of Chicago you are coming from, suburbs? outskirts? in the heart of the city?
Miami has a lot to offer, but it can be a REAL PAIN to navigate around. To steal and modify a New Yorker phrase:
"AVOID 95 AT ALL COSTS!!!"
If you have to commute through I-95 M-F, you will hate your life down here.

Miami Lakes is nice, near Doral, far removed from the Tourist Chaos, and a good touching point to everything.

Kendall is sort of a melting pot, but it is another nice pocket to live in.

Brickell and the Beachside is the obvious choice if you mention your budget to a realtor, but unless you are working in Brickell I wouldn't recommend living there and is a major commuting deal-breaker. Beach side, is borderline for your budget but you will find 2/2 no problem, it will just be a condo... and too much of a seasonal nightmare for a daily commute to Doral. Honestly, both of these too close to 95, so I'd cross them off the list immediately.

If you mention what your goals are, that would be a better help:
You plan settling down long term, unsure, or just a few years?
You mentioned Toddler, are you planning on Private Schools or Public?

Miami public schools range from Good to Kevlar Backpack on the kids. You may need to do more research.
Are there specific activities you'd like to be close to? Boating, Fishing, Diving???

I live in Sweetwater, next to FIU and love it. But having your budget, I'd probably settle down in Miami Lakes.
No knock on Coral Gables or Weston, but after almost 15 years in Central Florida and 2 in Miami, LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE STUCK IN TRAFFIC.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,488 times
Thanks, that’s really helpful. We’re in Chicago’s Roscoe Village which is a quieter neighborhood but still very much the city. We were planning on moving to a walkable suburb and getting a 4 bedroom forever home in the first ring Chicago suburbs, until this opportunity came up.

I don’t think I could sell my wife on another 2/2 condo, so Coral Gables may not work. We don’t need a mini mansion, but would like some space for the grandparent visitors. Plan is to stay in Miami for 2-5 years for the career bump, and then probably head back to the Midwest. Would prefer public schools assuming the district is solid. I don’t have any warm weather hobbies besides golf, but hope to pick up a few during our adventure!

Top priority is finding a neighborhood where we’ll fit in and can make some local friends given we don’t know anyone in Miami, and a short commute so I can get home and see my kiddo!

Last edited by apexcolor; 07-12-2020 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-12-2020, 08:59 AM

154 posts, read 147,772 times
Miami Springs might be a good location. Close to Doral, good neighborhood.....and even a few people who speak English.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:20 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,325,425 times
Coconut Grove or possibly Palmetto Bay. Sure there is traffic, but good schools & quality of life will be important.

Given your demo, I think the Grove would be ideal. Miami shores is also an option and you would take i-95 to the 112 which goes into Doral.

Ironically I'm helping someone right now move from Chicago to Doral. He's going to the new construction area off 41st st in a tri-level townhome. I think they sell for about $500k-$550k, although might be too many steps with a toddler.

Doral has great gated communities well within your budget and they are building more things to do. I love the TopGolf location there, Dolphin mall is always expanding, one of the largest IKEAs in the country is there, etc. But as far as walking around, nightlife, etc you'll want the Grove more. Especially if you're a boater, they have a great marina there, beach vball courts, yoga in the park, etc.

Miami shores doesn't have that but you're a lot closer to the beach without living in Miami Beach or over the causeway.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:39 PM

786 posts, read 616,470 times
Honestly,

If you only plan on staying 2-5 years, I'd recommend on selling her on the condo. Selling or buying a home for a short term stay may be a unnecessary risk in light of this pandemic, Florida is an incredibly volatile real estate market. You will find 4 bedroom with all you are looking for about 15 to 20 miles outside of the city, but with traffic, that's an hour plus commute one way easy. You won't find suburb life in the city.

As mentioned, Coconut Grove is nice, and within your price point is there, but 95 is just a dealbreaker for me.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:46 AM

9 posts, read 6,077 times
Doral offers a high quality of life. Much higher than Miami Lakes or Miami Springs. CDDs and HOAs are high in Doral. Property taxes are much higher too. Crime is very low and the city is full of nice parks. The best public parks are located in Doral. Dolphin mall is the best mall in Miami. Doral is full of businesses and corporations. Carnival is based in Doral. Trump has properties in Doral. Undoubtedly the best city to live on the other side on the west side of Miami. Coral Gables is overvalued. The only places better than Doral would be Brickell and Key Biscayne.

Beautiful real estate properties, golf courses, nice residential swimming pools, nice malls, Ikea, excellent parks, a nice L.A. fitness Gym, great restaurants, strong corporations, low crime, an effective police force, many rec centers, ideal location within Miami, and attractive people. Doral offers the best quality of life in Miami.

Last edited by Life is Good.; 07-16-2020 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,066 times
If able, please take a visit to Miami Springs. It’s a lovely town within minuets of Doral, incomparable in charm to anywhere else in Northwest Dade County. The community was originally developed in the 1920s as an Adobe-themed village, and expanded further in the 30s, 40s & 50s. A large golf course, oak-lined roads, and charming mid-century bungalows give way into a small town main street, with plenty of amenities such as an organic market and country diner. Miami Springs has become mostly Cuban over the decades (of a wealthier persuasion), but compared to Hialeah across the river, it feels like Illinois

Old 07-19-2020, 06:00 PM

855 posts, read 1,168,254 times
Coconut Grove or Coral Gables. There’s no competition here. My family has a similar background (from a northern city, liberal, etc.) and when we relocated here we were looking for diverse, good schools, walkable, and easy access to Doral (where I worked) and Blue Lagoon/MIA airport (where my husband worked). We checked out Brickell and Miami Beach but liked the family feel of the Grove and Gables more. Others have mentioned Miami Springs which is also cool, but we thought it didn’t have the vibe we were looking for, and kind of felt farther away and not as walkable as the grove. Grove is quiet, diverse and, walkable, with lots of good schools, and plenty of trails, parks and outdoor activities.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:59 AM

64 posts, read 90,221 times
If you're looking for a progressive area, move east. A few posts have mentioned Miami Lakes but that is perhaps one of the most conservative neighborhoods in Miami. For single family homes in your price range, look at Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Historic Bayside/Belle Meade, Miami Shores, Biscayne Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami