U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,686 times
Default Moving to Miami soon...

My family and I are planning to move to Miami pretty soon because we are really tired of the ugly winters here in Chicago. My wife is an accountant with 8 years of working experience and I am a Warehouse Supervisor with several years of experience, my question is: What place would be the best to find a good job? I heard Fort Lauderdale is a great place to both live and work, but I'd also like to live in a Hispanic area such as Sweetwater, Little Havana or Hialeah. Thank you for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 PM

13 posts, read 43,583 times
Well, that's an easy one to answer.........I don't know FT Lauderdale well enough to tell you wich are the good and bad areas. But I do know the other cities you mentioned ( Sweetwater, Little Havana, Hialeah ). I would stay away from Hialeah and little havana. Sweetwater is a small community, well protected by the police and with shops, malls, schools, restaurants, university (FIU), etc close by. Job wise, well, it has been pretty rough lately with unemployment on the rise, but I guess it's everywhere in the US. I hope my information was helpful for your decision. good luck

City Of Sweetwater Florida

Old 05-04-2008, 09:41 AM

8,315 posts, read 15,786,024 times
Sweetwater is extremely ugly, but Spanish is the main language there. Your best bet is to get a job first, then move close to it. All of Miami-Dade county (except obvious ghettos) is "hispanic" so if that's what you want you will not be disappointed.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:56 PM

6,358 posts, read 12,486,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celayagtomex41 View Post
My family and I are planning to move to Miami pretty soon because we are really tired of the ugly winters here in Chicago. My wife is an accountant with 8 years of working experience and I am a Warehouse Supervisor with several years of experience, my question is: What place would be the best to find a good job? I heard Fort Lauderdale is a great place to both live and work, but I'd also like to live in a Hispanic area such as Sweetwater, Little Havana or Hialeah. Thank you for your help!!!
Ok so you had me believing this was a real post, until you mentioned you wanted to live in Sweetwater, Hialeah or Little Havana.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,921 times
Do Not under any circumstances move to little havana! Especially if you have kids or pets or anything else you would like to survive. Hialeah isn't as dangerous I suppose. Try Doral. You'll live longer.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:42 PM

59 posts, read 2,595 times
Default Whoa!

Sweetwater, Hialeah, and Little Havana are by no means ghettos. They aren't dirty, there is not enough serious crime there, and the property values aren't low enough for these areas to be considered ghettos. The only problems with these areas (in my opinion) is that they come with a lot of traffic and everybody speaks Spanish. Other than that they are great.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 PM

347 posts, read 931,567 times
I was surprised to read someone wants to live in those neighborhoods, but actually, we have some friends with some really lovely homes in Little Havana. Hardwood floors, fireplaces, lots of trees... some are historic homes, which they've renovated. I would love to live there if I could have one of those nice old renovated homes. And while much of Hialeah is ugly, parts of it are not that bad, I've seen some areas with lots of trees and beautiful homes. The families I know who live in Hialeah have been there for decades and seem very happy there, even those who don't speak Spanish. I used to live near Sweetwater and don't really care for that area. Ugly, no redeeming qualities that I can think of, except maybe lots of apartments/condos if that's what you need. 107th Avenue cuts right through it, as does 836/Dolphin Expressway, a major highway. Personally, I'd choose from Little Havana or Hialeah, and I know there are some good deals on houses in Hialeah right now.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:34 PM

483 posts, read 1,012,914 times
True alot of Hialeah has ugly industrial sections, but alot of it is really suburban and nice, my neighborhood has plenty of great beautiful houses for sale.
Most people just see around okeechobee, the Palmetto, and other heavy industrialized areas and dont see the family otriented neighborhoods that most of Hialeah is. Hialeah is massive city so you really cant say its one thing. I speak almost no spanish at all, not enough to carry on a conversation I only know the extreme basics, and hardly ever have a problem, almost never. Everybody I know talks english and 90% of the people I know in Hialeah are hispanic. So its not all its described to be, Ive enjoyed myself here, but its surely not ideal for everybody but this person, if legit sounds like she would do great in Hialeah. Crime is not an issue at all by the way, for a city of 200K+ its pretty remarkable how low it is.

Last edited by TannerMan; 05-04-2008 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 09:56 AM

10 posts, read 30,693 times
Humm..you don't mention if you have children...If you have children look for A schools..so Kendall area would be a good fit..with lots of A schools and with enough latinos (about 80%). Ft. Lauderdale is generally nice. In relations to Miami, I would not live where you mention (just my opinion..nothing against people that live there or the area...just not areas that I like). Although sweetwater has two malls close..so that is a good thing in my book. But I dont' like the houses or the areas that you mention. I tend to like Doral, Kendall, and of course Gables, South Miami, Pinecrest and Palmetto.. but these last 4 areas are way expensive.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 AM

763 posts, read 2,412,595 times
Hialeah isn't that bad, it's a working class city with a big Hispanic population, but it's not that bad. Little Havana actually has nice historic charm. The good thing about Little Havana is that it's close to Coral Gables, Downtown, Brickell, Civic Center, and all that, and you can find some very charming homes for good prices. Sweetwater on the other hand, is okay but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami