U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:40 AM

15,719 posts, read 34,825,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
I know you've been to a lot of places too.. Would like to check out Minneapolis..Been there?
I lived in Minneapolis for 1 1/2 years. I LOVED the city, but HATED the weather. Because of the weather, I wouldn't go back again. If that city were somewhere else, I wouldnt' have any problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 12:38 PM

507 posts, read 1,794,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Has anyone moved here within the last 2-5 years with a good perception of Miami, only to find out that it turned out to not be what it appeared to be? I want to know the issues other people may have experienced, and possibly to see if I can relate to that. I'm about to move in a month to a new city, and I am not happy at how things have gone since I've been here last Febuary 2007.
Urbane: I feel your pain. I naively moved to Miami in Nov. 2002 from TX, only to be blown away by the rude (narcisistic) people, lousy drivers, over-priced real estate and cut throat way of life that is Miami. I could not leave Miami fast enough and can't imagine how anyone could raise a normal family there. Suffice it to say, I learned my lesson and I regret having left TX for such a dump in the first place. I think that when the end of the world comes, Miami is the first to go.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:26 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,821,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Yea, see for 800 for a studio they need do a better job in keeping it up. whats the name of that place anyway?
It doesn't have a name. It is an old historic brick (if I remember correctly) apartment building that is privately owned by some investment company. There were about 8-10 units total, and the building was two floors. The neighborhood was awesome, on one of those real nice leafy and shady streets in the Grove with mostly really nice homes and a few artsy ones. I couldn't remember the exact address, but I think I was able to track it down to 3661 Palmetto Ave (thank you, Google maps and M-D property website).

The sad thing is that I had really high hopes for the place, because historic buildings like that are hard to come by in Miami. When I pulled up and saw the awesome building with beautiful ironwork on the staircase, walked into the foyer and saw the incredible original mosaic in tile on the floor (I think it was a peacock) and the hardwoods in the hallway, I was very excited to see the interior of the apartment, but was completely apalled at what I actually found. The landlord (or should I be saying "slumlord" in this situation?) didn't even show up to show me the place, but told me it was unlocked because a painter had been working there, and I should let myself in.

At that time (about summer of 2003), $800 for a studio in the Grove was a real bargain. I am pretty sure that the landlord eventually got someone to pay that much for it, too. Just not me!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:48 PM

463 posts, read 1,186,212 times
Hmm, thats ironic...I'm actually planning on moving to Texas, Dallas area. my uncle who's lived in miami all his life (50 years) started the trend to dallas and enticed my family to move there in 2006.

I didnt like it, but then again i lived in arlington; fort worth area and I just couldnt relate at all. So i came back 4 months later.

But now...I have to come to terms with whether to stay here or move. My soon to be X landlord just told me that I was lucky she didnt charge me $500.00*3= first last and security for my 1 room kitchenless efficiency. I want to meet the person who'd pay $ 1,500 to move into an efficency in the design district of Miami with no kitchen,cable,or internet...just all utilities. I only paid $1,000 but still...

Thats another reason I'm jaded about my home-state...It's trying to rip me off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or