U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 AM

463 posts, read 1,174,602 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved here within the last 2-5 years with a good perception of Miami, only to find out that it turned out to not be what it appeared to be? I want to know the issues other people may have experienced, and possibly to see if I can relate to that. I'm about to move in a month to a new city, and I am not happy at how things have gone since I've been here last Febuary 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 PM

87 posts, read 266,423 times
A more important question: What are you looking for in your next city, and can folks have a city to recommend that fits your needs/wants?

I've lived here since 1974, and I loved that it was a slower, quieter, more affordable town than NYC (The Bronx), and so much cleaner (the streets, the air) with nicer beaches and great night skies.

With the city's growth, it's crazy crowded, superbad traffic, expensive, and the light pollution blots out my beloved stars and planets. Plus, I moved down and was luckty to enjoy a peaceful stretch without hurricanes before the nineties/21st century changed that. So,f or me, yeah, it's not as nice as in the more laidback (and inflation-riddled) past of the 70's, or even the cocaine cowboy 80's (which I enjoyed just fine) despite some lay-offs during the latter 80's.

If I moved, I'd want somewhat cooler, though not cold weather, a lot of tech job opportunities (for hubby) and museums and good air and sky viewing (for me) and educational institutions (for both of us) and BETTER traffic and more affordable housing (ideally.)

So, maybe just list what you really want in a new city in terms of quality of life issues, affordability, educational opportunities, job classifications, geography, weather, traffic, political climate (a liberal state? a conservative one? A moderate one? A vegan-organic lifestyle with gardening? A driving, energetic lifestyle with business suits?)

Hope you find a great place that suits you.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,022,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerteekah View Post

If I moved, I'd want somewhat cooler, though not cold weather, a lot of tech job opportunities (for hubby) and museums and good air and sky viewing (for me) and educational institutions (for both of us) and BETTER traffic and more affordable housing (ideally.)

Your thinking of the Triangle in NC!! Except for the air part. Air quality isn't too good in NC not even in the mountains.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM

190 posts, read 725,436 times
I moved here in July 2007 and I want to leave as well but the city is starting to grow on me. It has a beautiful skyline, people, beaches, lemonade, and trees. Miami has its problems but I think in order for it to be more livable for me the powers that be really need to institute a better mass transit system. The great reliance on cars is irritating. With a better designed public transportation system I can disregard rudeness, the idiot drivers, ridiculous parking system, and low wages that go to my car, and I can just read a book or listen to my headphones on the train.
I want to go back to NYC but I'm also looking at Atlanta, Portland, OR, and Seattle, WA.
The problem is: a city looks great when you're down for vacation for a week or so but it's a whole different story when you have to live there. SO yeah, what is it that has you fed up and what is it you looked for in the city you are moving to?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:26 PM

Compelled, I wouldn't mind NC if we had to move. (Hubby has to accept a job offer SOON, and the possibilities right now are here for less $$ and benefits or Seattle for Microsoft or San Diego for QualComm). Nothing opened up in Ral-Dur. I did notice house prices are LOW there compared to here. However, state income tax. Bleh. Guess it evens out.

Seattle has higher cost of living (including housing!) than Miami, 10.5 gray and dreary months of chilly "mizzly" weather per year, and a lot of those uber-cranky liberals and the "Seattle Freeze" (from what I've read online about the city). But it's got gorgeous mountains and clean air (if wet and gray). Oh, and traffic is horrid there, too, though they have a better bus system than we do, and have plans for a rail line.

I think I would like Austin.

Interestingly, Austin-Miami-Seattle ranked the same, a tie!-- I think it was #6 or 7-- in a "clean air" list I saw recently.

NC got bad marks for allergies. Hm.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Well I'm hearing better likes than I actually expected, but I was actually going to be moving out to some suburban areas of Dallas. I like Miami for its consistent weather, but it's just jobs and affordable rent is hard to come across. I mean, as far as what I'm looking for in a city, is here in Miami. I like being around water, and palms, and a mixture. I know it sounds mundane, but there's something about those things. Texas doesnt offer that. But then again, this had to do with making ends meet, not the natural beauty.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 PM

By the way, i havent had problems with my asthma since i lived here, to speak of allegies. the air here is pristine, no matter how many cars and construction dirt flies around. And i'm not being sarcastic either.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 PM

Urbane, my family moved down here because of my asthma and allergies and my dad's health. Doc recommended we move south to warmth, like Miami.

And I have to admit, better than NY for me, though my allergies are really, really severe and even here, I'm affected and have to take molto medications.

But the air is good. I agree. The ocean breezes sure help.

Well, except when we have awful fires.

The thunderstorms help keep it ozone-y and clean, but then we worry about mildew and mold.

I think Miami has a lot that's nice and lovely. And for people willing to live in less than elite neighborhoods and smaller accomodations (ie, not looking for an ocean view or a big apartment), things can be rented for 1K and under. NY and San Fran and LA and Washington can't say that.

People in those cities might rent a room for 500+ a month. Here, you can rent a one-bedroom for 700 and 800 or so a month. Even one with a balcony with a tree and garden view. Maybe not in the best neighborhoods, but it's doable. classifieds - craigslist

Miami is nowhere near affordable as it was before the dang boom, and certainly not as affordable as when my working class parents (making not much more than minimum wage each) bought a modest wee house in need of TLC in 1974 for 24K (and it was overpriced at that back then).

If the correction continues, and housing comes down and down, it may well become affordable for regular folks again. Who knows?

M

Old 05-09-2008, 06:45 PM

11 posts, read 25,124 times
i think a lot of people ARE jaded, but from personal experiences though. Miami, in terms of numbers and stats, isnt THAT horrible as people make it sound. Its a big city- yes there will be traffic, yes there will be crime. Its not the OC here or rural, its a major city. Totally different styles of life and thats what comes with city life. There are worse crime areas- come here to Detroit and ill show you some worse areas ranked higher in crime (#2 city while miami is #19 overall, or #1 for cities over 500k people). Coming from going to Detroit for stuff, it wont be much of a shock and probably even nicer as a downtown area to go to. I think it just depends where youre used to. If youre from NY or Detroit or LA, Miami wont be bad. If youre from the OC or some quaint little town you're perception will be different.

But honestly, crime in Miami isnt the worst, and rent prices arent the worst either. Its much higher in California, NY, and Boston when i was looking into where to go to law shool. yet its almost bouble what i pay now. so yes its a shock, but not as bad as it could be in other areas too.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:03 PM

It doesnt have to be the worst to be difficult. Of course it's not the worst, but its bad enough. I've seen places here for 5 and 600 bucks that offer absolutely minimal and they call it a 'place'. Its still disappoints me that the place I wanted to come to all my life makes things as difficult as it seems. Or is it just me? Is it really that difficult? I mean I live alone, I own my own car...but I cant find work! Its RIDICULOUS (TM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or