Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times

Advertisements

Gloria Estafan's father was a soldier in the Batista regime and when the regime was overthrown by Castro they escaped Havana,Cuba to come to Miami. He was also invoived in the Bay of Pigs initiated by President Kennedy which was a failure.

It was Miami's gain and Havana's loss to gain such a great talented singer in Gloria Estafan.

I like the area of Little Havana especially around the Orange Bowl where improvements have been made and more need to be made. It has an aura of excitement for visitors to Miami such as myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 05:32 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
I love that area, at least as a visitor. It gave the Orange Bowl character, a rowdy atmosphere. I'd walk around the stadium before a game to get a flavor of the area. Other than east of the stadium, which is seedy as someone else indicated, I think the area is generally overstated as problematic.

Dolphin Stadium is like playing a game in a warehouse. Blah. I still can't believe Joe Robbie agreed to those blueprints in that irrelevant area. It's a great stadium to bet on the road team, that's about it.
100% agree. I've never been thrilled with Joe Robbie although it IS convenient for folks in Broward and Dade to come together.
Hopefully the baseball stadium will have the some of the character the Orange Bowl did.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
100% agree. I've never been thrilled with Joe Robbie although it IS convenient for folks in Broward and Dade to come together.
Hopefully the baseball stadium will have the some of the character the Orange Bowl did.
If they ever move the stadium again in the distant future I think it will probably be moved completely out of Dade County and well into Broward territory. Nobody in Miami likes football, they are all 'soccer' or as I like to call it 'field fairy' fans from Latin America.

Most of my Hispanic friends don't even know how football is played. Football is also impossible to explain.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:46 AM

483 posts, read 1,544,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
If they ever move the stadium again in the distant future I think it will probably be moved completely out of Dade County and well into Broward territory. Nobody in Miami likes football, they are all 'soccer' or as I like to call it 'field fairy' fans from Latin America.

Most of my Hispanic friends don't even know how football is played. Football is also impossible to explain.
That must be why the soccer team did so well and the current USL team does so great too?!?
This was just another of your wack posts.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Uh oh, rude people situation! We need to get an armed robbery and Spanish-speaking bystanders on scene instantly.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:03 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Everyone should know that all non-Cubans and anyone who even looks the least bit Anglo or black will be targeted by the rudeness anywhere east of Coral Gables and anything west of Brickell Ave. It's an everything-in-español, all-rude-all-the-time no man's land that any blue-blooded, God-fearing American should avoid.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:26 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
I know I am biased being a Nole, but I come in peace. I would like to say that moving out of the Orange Bowl was the WORST decision UM could have made. You guys should have kept that stadium no matter how run-down it was. Its better to have a crappy stadium than no stadium at all. Now you lose your home-field advantage and you alienate your fan-base. Attendance numbers have dropped off significantly and will remain low. And now your program is less appealing to fans and recruits. The Little Havana crowd was your main attendance draw for years and they are not going to travel up to the Broward Co. line week in and week out. You guys should blame Dee and Shalala. They really screwed up here and they should be held accountable. You can give me all of the excuses you want, but the fact is that it was a bad decision for the program. Then blame the city of Miami for allowing this to happen. They allowed a historical icon to be demolished all because they were too cheap to spend a few bucks putting in urinals in the mens restrooms. Funny how they couldn't pony up with the OB but they approved stealing tax-payer money for a Marlins Stadium and an underground tunnel that is certain to be a failure of colossal proportions and a waste. You would think that a city like Miami with all of the BMW's and Mercedes that they could make better decisions than to put Lexus lanes on I-95 that actually increase accidents and make traffic worse.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,575 times
There really wasn't a choice but to move. The CITY would have had to put in millions of $$ to refurbish -- it just wasn't cost affective and completely out of the hands of UM. Since the Dolphin stadium exists, it really was a no brainer for local governments.

This Gator will miss the OB too.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:03 PM

22 posts, read 83,454 times
Im a Seminole fan but I loved the Orange Bowl. It had a lot of character and a rich history. And whoever said people in Miami don't like football, then why does Miami have more pro football players than any other city? lol Did you ever think about the Southern blacks in Miami? Many of them live and die for football. Football is HUGE in Miami. South Florida is one of the most sought after regions for recruiting.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
The baseball stadium will be Miami's next White Elephant. The OB was a historic site and now being gone the area has nothing going for it anymore. A friend of mine lived in that area and his dad worked at the OB for 20 years. since the Dolphin days. The lack of parking and poor location created traffic nightmares which left fans paying neighbors to park at their homes. The city never did anything but make it worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami