U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 11:32 PM

10 posts, read 26,366 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Naples, FL but have been living in Costa Rica for the past six years and will be back to in FL for the first time at the end of the month.

I was thinking about moving to AZ or FL, but the wife wants it green and near water so FL it is.

I'll be arriving at the end of the month but the rest of the family won't be arriving until the end of the year. I have a spouse and two kids (girls) three and six.

Most important to me is safety of my children, good schools and a great community. I work from home so I don't have to worry about commuting.

My wife and children aren't fluent in English so I figured South FL would be an easier transition for them and the schools would have English as a second language programs available.

Thank you,

Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 20,579 times
Default I was thinking of moving to Costa!

I have vacationed there several times; jaco, golfito, quepos and of course san jose. The drive from san jose to jaco was incredible. Anyway since you have lived there what sort of advice could you give me as far as living there. I am 42 and don't speak spanish; currently. I would definitley take some classes prior to going. My questions would be: how is it for an american living there and making friends? any way to make any money at all? where would you reccomend living? what would the cost of living be in a comfortable area? I appreciate any insight you could give me. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Costa Rica as changed a lot over the past few years and personally I think it has lost its bang for the buck. The only thing that still has any value is bread, eggs, beans, and meat (left out rice cause that one is up in the air at the moment). The name brand item you find in the super market in the states are double here a long with, electronics, cars, and gas.

example:
1997 Toyota RAV4 w/ 120k miles will run you about 6mil col or $8k to 10k
Gas is about $6/gal

If your single and it beautiful women all over the place then Costa Rica your place. For the most they are very friendly and you will have no problem making friends. Finding work that another story on Avg the best I have seen is around $800/mo, but I'm self and employed and work online so I didn't have to worry about that.

Each area a little different but their all ok to live in Escazu, San Pedreo, Curridabat, Herredia. Housing is very different from FL no yards and you live right on top of your neighbors. I really don't prefer bars on my window so I have always stayed in Gated Community. Avg three bed runs about $650/mo and up depending on where you at.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 20,579 times
Do the local men pose an issue if you are going out with a local woman? The $650 you mentioned is in a gated community? I am surprised at the cost of gas. How complicated it is it if you take a vehicle there or is it much better just to buy one once there? I would definitley want to be on the coast somewhere. I know i am not going to be able to make a living there but if there are ways for americans to pick up extra cash that would be nice. Do you have any recommendation on who to contact as far as rentals? sorry for all the questions just don't know anyone that has ever lived there.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 AM

The local will have no problem with you going with a local woman. Yes the $650 is in a small gated community. Gas as always been more here than the US. I have used BEST CHOICE REAL ESTATE in the past you tell them what you want they will pick you up and show you around. Here it's 1st and Security with or with out and agent. The way it works here if you have agent the owner pays the them the security.

If you bring a car you will still get hit w/ the tax so it the same and your just better off buying one here.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 PM

13,773 posts, read 32,969,074 times
please let's get back to OP's question.. If you have questions about Costa Rica post them in the correct forum or send the OP a DM.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami