U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 PM

17 posts, read 77,865 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating to Miami with work. I'll be working at the Federal Building downtown. I am looking for some comments regarding the Metro and Tri-Rail. Is it reliable? Is it anything like the Metro in DC or BART in San Francisco? Is it packed during rush hours, as in less than 1 foot between you and other people, no seats, etc? Are trains on-schedule, or consistently early or late? Is it better to take trains from the south? Or the north? Do you fear for your safety on either? Is it possible to commute from, say, Hollywood on Tri-Rail, catch the Metro, and make it downtown, on a daily basis? Or should I focus on living on the south side and go north on the Metro? Obviously it doesn't go west, so that isn't really an option. Any comments and advice greatly appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 PM

177 posts, read 489,666 times
It's been a while since i rode the train system. As far as i can remember, during rush hour it does get full. Sometimes you will be within one foot of people. However, the trains empty out fast as you leave the downtown area. It's not bad at all. The train times were pretty good as well.

They seriously need to expand the system though.

i'm commenting on the metro rail. I can't comment on the tri-rail.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM

26 posts, read 153,529 times
Metrorail is safe (except maybe late at night) and the service is pretty good. I took it to work from Dadeland South for many years. I had to pick up my daughter at daycare at a specific time and I found the train to be the most predictable form of transportation. The parking lots fill up pretty early, though. Even when crowded, it's nothing like the subway in NYC (never been to SF). If you live north, to get downtown via tri rail means you have to change to Metrorail at Northside, so factor that into your commute. Parking downtown is expensive so if you can take Metrorail you will save both gas and parking.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:48 AM

507 posts, read 1,786,896 times
Metro Rail is about the only good thing about getting around in Miami. In my experience, it was safe as all stations are manned by M-Dade sheriff deputies, and it was reliable and punctual for the most part. Now, when will M-D figure it out and expand MetroRail's reach?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,202,941 times
You can count on metrorail more than your own car. Unfortunately connecting to it is the tough part, unless you live within walking distance of a station. Tri-Rail is notoriously off-schedule and is often delayed by track scheduling. Again, connecting to it is a problem. If Miami-Dade county wanted metrorail to be profitable, they would connect Miami Beach to downtown and the port of Miami to the airport.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM

763 posts, read 3,167,790 times
I ride Tri-Rail and Metrorail very frequently, actually almost daily, and I think both are really reliable, clean, safe, and better than driving.

Tri-Rail is a commuter train so trains run about every 20 minutes during rush hour, 30 mins to an hour on weekdays, and run every 2 hours on weekends. Tri-Rail is a lot more reliable than it used to be, and in the last year or so, I haven't had any problems with it and it's very cheap.

Metrorail I ride to Downtown and I've also never had a problem with it and it's very efficient. The trains do tend to get very crowded during rush hour, but the trains are all very clean, safe, and always reliable. Like I always say, if you can take Metrorail instead of driving, do it, you'll never drive again.

Also, I'd like to add that Miami-Dade Transit is currently building a new Metrorail Station at Miami Int'l Airport, at the new Miami Central Station, for Amtrak, Tri-Rail, Metrorail, Metrobus, taxis, rental cars, etc. There are also plans to expand Metrorail north to Broward County via Miami-Dade College North and Dolphin Stadium, and a west line to FIU through Doral and Dolphin Mall.

Also, if you're going to be working in Downtown, why don't you just find a place to live close to or in Downtown that way you cut your commute to a say a 5 minute walk from a Downtown high-rise? I'd suggest you look into places in Downtown or somewhere very close to a Metrorail station.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 AM

17 posts, read 77,865 times
I really appreciate your comments, thank you for contributing. I will keep your advice in mind as I relocate down to Miami. You guys rock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or