U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 PM

34 posts, read 151,753 times

Advertisements

We're moving from SF to Miami this Summer. We've heard that quality gourmet stores are not common Miami. We'll be living on Brickell Key, but willing to drive a reasonable distance to find the right grocery store with imported food and quality fruit and veggies. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 AM

551 posts, read 2,742,241 times
They're not too abundant, although you can find upscale grocery stores/markets with all organic foods pretty easily. There is a Whole Foods Market in South Miami, and a few Wild Oats stores (smaller branch of Whole Foods) here and there. Fresh Market in Coconut Grove is really great. Gardener's Market isn't too bad either, although they don't quite have the selection the others do. If you're looking for something really upscale, you might try looking in Coral Gables.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:12 PM

294 posts, read 1,003,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrulay View Post
We're moving from SF to Miami this Summer. We've heard that quality gourmet stores are not common Miami. We'll be living on Brickell Key, but willing to drive a reasonable distance to find the right grocery store with imported food and quality fruit and veggies. Any recommendations?
We sometimes shop at Wild Oats in South Beach (it's on Alton and 10th Street). It shouldn't be too far of a drive from Brickell, plus, it'll give you a good excuse to drive to SoBe on the MacCarthur Causeway along all the nifty cruise ships :-)

There's also an upscale gourmet store (I think it's called Epicure) on Alton near Lincoln Road. I recall it being good, but expensive. Parking is a hassle (i.e., paid) so we don't go there anymore.

Personally, we like to shop at an Eastern European Market in Hallandale Beach on US1. It's about as authentic Eastern European as you get with awesome rye bread, Polish and Russian beer, deli meat (if you're not vegetarian) etc. It's also quite reasonably priced and more within our means.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,093,462 times
Right on Brickell Key you have a gourmet market called Gardners. Very nice, I couldn't find their website sorry.

Also south of the City of South Miami, off of US1 is Joannas Marketplace.

JoAnna's Marketplace ~ Deli, Bakery, Catering, and Prepared Foods, Miami, Florida

Old 05-13-2008, 04:25 PM

763 posts, read 3,150,887 times
Well, you're lucky you'll be living in Brickell, because you're pretty much close to the areas that have the gourmet markets you're looking for. Like others have said there are Whole Foods in Coral Gables, South Miami and South Beach, which are all a short drive or train ride away from Brickell. There's also numerous Wild Oats around Miami.

In Brickell itself though, there are 3 Publix, which are very nice, and they're definitely well-stocked with high-quality products as those that live in Brickell have money. I know there are plans to open up an Epicure Market (upscale bakery, supermarket and cafe from Miami) as well as another Whole Foods in Brickell. There's also a couple of really good bakeries and produce stores in Downtown, but the names of them I can't think of.

But overall, living in Brickell, you have a lot of option in high-quality gourmet food places, so don't worry at all. You'll find everything you need and you'll be surprised it's all very close, sometimes, literally at your doorstep.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 AM

31 posts, read 104,634 times
I like Norman Brothers. Do any of you think that counts as gourmet? Little far from Brickell though..

Old 05-16-2008, 12:26 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,093,462 times
I like Normal Brothers too, but not really Gourmet. More like a Farmers Market with fresh things.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:04 PM

34 posts, read 151,753 times
Thanks for all your advice!!! I look forward to visiting all these great places!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:01 PM

50 posts, read 278,027 times
Nearby Brickell, Perricone's Restaurant has a front deli like area that has great Italian Cheeses. It's at 10th and Miami.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 PM

227 posts, read 620,552 times
I'm a major foodie and have to say that it's not really bad in South Florida. There were some great suggestions already but don't forget you've got numerous other places that a foodie can enjoy...Crown Wine and Spirits next to Whole Foods has a decent selection of gourmet meats, cheeses, and other items if you want to browse their wine selection at the same time. You've also got the farmer's markets in Coconut Grove which also does lots of raw foods that are delicious and Gardener's Market runs a farmer's market in the winter.
Epicure has some great things but so does Whole Foods.
The Wild Oats on the Beach is now a WF.

Get ready to enjoy lots of variety in tropical fruits and veggies, as well as all kinds of Caribbean and Latin American restaurants which will provide a bit of a change from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or