U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 12:05 AM

382 posts, read 321,020 times

Advertisements

Am concerned by how unruly it gets during Spring Break and Urban Beach Week. Just this year, there was widespread rioting, gun violence, a woman raped and killed, and tourists clogging the road. Are there any other holidays or festivals I should be aware of, so I’ll know to get out of town?

https://mobile.twitter.com/nypost/st...39962199793669

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....ater-died/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.voa...ng-break%3famp

https://www.lawofficer.com/urban-bea...iami-shooting/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 08:19 AM

6,595 posts, read 4,991,595 times
Just avoid the touristy area around Ocean Drive (focus on South of Fifth, West Ave, Sunset Harbour, etc) and 40 year old buildings and you should be fine—just as one wouldn’t avoid living in Lincoln Park or Old Town sections of Chicago because of what happens in Fuller Park.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-25-2021 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-25-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Just avoid the touristy area around Ocean Drive (focus on South of Fifth, West Ave, Sunset Harbour, etc) and 40 year old buildings and you should be fine—just as one wouldn’t avoid living in Lincoln Park or Old Town sections of Chicago because of what happens in Fuller Park.
Thanks man. I hope West Ave or South of 5th would be far enough to stave off the madness though. Aren’t they still like only 1 mile away from the heart of Ocean Drive?

Old 07-25-2021, 12:28 PM

Yes, they are but SoFi remains one of the most desirable areas of all of SoBe. Home to South Pointe Park, Government Cut and almost has a Santa Monica like vibe. If above your budget, have a look at Sunset Harbour—on the bay, not the beach—but a short bike ride or 15-20 minute walk away (and away from the tourist zone—though close to Lincoln Road Mall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Thanks man. I hope West Ave or South of 5th would be far enough to stave off the madness though. Aren’t they still like only 1 mile away from the heart of Ocean Drive?

Old 07-25-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yes, they are but SoFi remains one of the most desirable areas of all of SoBe. Home to South Pointe Park, Government Cut and almost has a Santa Monica like vibe. If above your budget, have a look at Sunset Harbour—on the bay, not the beach—but a short bike ride or 15-20 minute walk away (and away from the tourist zone—though close to Lincoln Road Mall).
Thanks! Sunset Harbour looks nice. Definitely want to be as close to Lincoln Road as possible. Great vibe and beautiful chicas. Basically Miami’s equivalent of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile.

Which streets are dangerous and I should steer clear of; just Ocean Drive and Washington Ave? Ocean Drive seemed fine when I was there during the day (besides drug dealers trying to sell drugs smh) but I’d imagine it’s shady at nighttime.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:54 PM

As a heads up, Lincoln Rd Mall (mostly “popular priced” chain stores with restaurants, Starbucks, etc) is nothing like Miracle Mile….upscale shops in Miami/Miami Beach are centered around Design District and Bal Harbour Shops….if you want more of a safe, clean, high rise urban vibe with professionals, upscale shopping and “beautiful chicas” have a look at Brickell—on Biscayne Bay, 15 minutes from SoBe or Key Biscayne.

Quote:
Thanks! Sunset Harbour looks nice. Definitely want to be as close to Lincoln Road as possible. Great vibe and beautiful chicas. Basically Miami’s equivalent of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile.

Which streets are dangerous and I should steer clear of; just Ocean Drive and Washington Ave? Ocean Drive seemed fine when I was there during the day (besides drug dealers trying to sell drugs smh) but I’d imagine it’s shady at nighttime.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-25-2021 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-25-2021, 01:08 PM

Ahhh, good to know.

Wow, I’ve gotta look into this Design District. Is there a lot of foot traffic there and which neighborhood would you recommend moving to that is close by? Edgewater? I know there’s Wynwood too but I think that still may be a little sketchy. Not sure.

I’ve been to Brickell a few times. Nice neighborhood and love all the high rises but pretty expensive and not much foot traffic. I’ll still check it out again.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2021, 01:19 PM

756 posts, read 1,025,907 times
I wouldn't live anywhere around Ocean Drive. Collins Ave. should be fine if you do mid beach or north beach.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere around Ocean Drive. Collins Ave. should be fine if you do mid beach or north beach.
Thanks buddy! Any thoughts on the Miami Design District? How does the foot traffic stack up with Lincoln Road?

Old 07-25-2021, 03:05 PM

756 posts, read 1,025,907 times
Quote:
Thanks buddy! Any thoughts on the Miami Design District? How does the foot traffic stack up with Lincoln Road?

The Miami Design District is okay. There's certainly traffic, both foot and car, though that's obviously because people are going there to shop, eat, and drink. It doesn't have much of a neighborhood feel though, and the surrounding areas aren't that nice.

If you're looking for a neighborhood that's trendy and has a lot of options for shopping and eating/drinking, I think Brickell is a better option. It's cleaner, safer, and has more of a neighborhood feel despite all the transients and tourists that haunt the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami