U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-11-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,690,597 times
Reputation: 1050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
why mention sweetwater?
Because it's not the most attractive of places (let's be honest), yet I wouldn't call it dangerous.

 
Old 07-11-2009, 11:31 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 4,274,184 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Hispanics are moving too, I have known a few that have left, mostly to give their children a better life. In their opinion Miami wasn't were they wanted to raise their children.

I actually know a whole lot of Hispanics that have left ... mostly second generation professional Cuban Americans and Colombians ... some to Tampa , Sarasota and others to Atlanta , Raleigh , Charlotte and Houston all for the same reasons to escape the Miami ghetto culture and find a better quality of life .
 
Old 07-11-2009, 04:56 PM
 
552 posts, read 413,940 times
Reputation: 148
[quote=observer;9711142]Leovigildo,

WOW! so you think that being genuine nice is not possible? How sad. That is really sad. Let me tell you that there are actually genuine nice people around; yes even in Miami, even though it is not nearly as common as in other places.

I will agree that having people up front and honest is better than fake and being a hypocrite. But I think your views are extreme though.

Based on your statements people are not genuine nice. If they appear to be nice, polite, and caring, you assume that it is fake? You have a sad and paranoid view of humanity. Your views and opinions are what is generally wrong with people in Miami that think like you; and it is sad.[/quote]


Amen to that. That's what living in Miami will do to you I guess - make you think ppl being friendly are fake, but of course in Miami, you dont really have to be bothered with nice ppl....
 
Old 07-11-2009, 05:23 PM
 
1,257 posts, read 3,000,835 times
Reputation: 400
Science

When people are "genuinely nice", extremely friendly, nice, polite and caring in this part of the world, we automatically assume they want something from us. We love natural people, not people with a smile wired with to the cash register. When we enter into a shop or supermarket, we don't want to make friends, just to buy a toothbrush and toilet paper.

For example, when McDonalds installed their first franchises here, they trained employees to smile and say "hellow, how are you", they had to drop it because people thought they were idiotic.

Oh, yes, everybody loves easy flirtatious lovely ladies with large buxoms, but nothing shorter than that.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 07-11-2009 at 06:09 PM..
 
Old 07-11-2009, 09:46 PM
 
10 posts, read 32,565 times
Reputation: 17
Good bye! I hope you enjoy your new town and your Speak Exclusively English restaurants too. You make it sounds like speaking any language other that English is a shame. Well, I hate to break your little fantasy bubble but, in today's economy with so many international corporations, being bilingual or multilingual individual is an advantage over anyone else who speaks one language. I don't think you're moving because you are tired of the so-called ghettos., You're escaping the reality of a failure attend at success.
 
Old 07-12-2009, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Highland Creek, NC
732 posts, read 1,817,119 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boring OC View Post
Good bye! I hope you enjoy your new town and your Speak Exclusively English restaurants too. You make it sounds like speaking any language other that English is a shame. Well, I hate to break your little fantasy bubble but, in today's economy with so many international corporations, being bilingual or multilingual individual is an advantage over anyone else who speaks one language. I don't think you're moving because you are tired of the so-called ghettos., You're escaping the reality of a failure attend at success.
I'm the OP, and I moved 14 months ago. I never said that I dont speak Spanish, in fact I do. And my Wife is Cuban. What I said was that I was tired of "having" to speak Spanish in a Country whose primary language is English. When I went to Puerto Rico, I spoke Spanish. When I went to Italy, I struggled through Italian. When I went to France, well never mind that. The point is, that in the USA, the natural born citizens should not "have" to speak a foreign language. I remember in the 70's, if you went to Hialeah, there was a good chance that you would need to speak Spanish in a Cuban restaurant to order. Now you cant go to McD's in Kendall w/o struggling to place an order in English.
 
Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 4,274,184 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
I'm the OP, and I moved 14 months ago. I never said that I dont speak Spanish, in fact I do. And my Wife is Cuban. What I said was that I was tired of "having" to speak Spanish in a Country whose primary language is English. When I went to Puerto Rico, I spoke Spanish. When I went to Italy, I struggled through Italian. When I went to France, well never mind that. The point is, that in the USA, the natural born citizens should not "have" to speak a foreign language. I remember in the 70's, if you went to Hialeah, there was a good chance that you would need to speak Spanish in a Cuban restaurant to order. Now you cant go to McD's in Kendall w/o struggling to place an order in English.
This is a superb and very accurate post ... I think Miami is ok , I enjoy some areas like Coconut Grove , Brickell , Coral Gables , Pine Crest and South Beach ... but the total disinterest shown by many locals in assimilating and even attempting to learn any English is shocking ... I think this is really an issue of ignorance and lack of education and a by product of rampant illegal immigration and the out of control wet foot / dry foot policy with the Cubans ..... when we lived farther north in Weston where the Hispanic residents had higher income and education levels we never experienced the friction or frustration that you experience in Miami ... all of our Hispanic neighbors in Weston for instance either could speak English or were actively learning the language and in general were fine people .. I remember that many of our Hispanic friends in Weston who were either from Argentina , Colombia , Mexico or Venezuela all disliked Miami or even going to Miami for anything and would make great efforts in explaining that they did not live in Miami but in Weston .. I currently live in Heron Bay on the border of Parkland and Coral Springs and it is amazing when I take the 50 minute drive to Miami you fell like you are in another world when you get down there ... I got off the Palmetto Expressway in Hialeah while heading to Miami once and stopped at the Westland Mall and I do not think I heard English in the two hours I walked around in there as well just the general ghetto attitude and rudeness of the people in there was a turn off ... .... I tend to embrace diversity and I myself am learning Spanish because I want to do so not because I am being forced to do so .. but I can understand why many non Hispanics and even Hispanics have abandoned Miami Dade and even South Broward .
 
Old 07-12-2009, 09:44 AM
 
1,257 posts, read 3,000,835 times
Reputation: 400
The point is, that in the USA, the natural born citizens should not "have" to speak a foreign language.

--------

But in Dade County Spanish is official, right?
Wasn't "English Only" repealed in 1993?
Is there any law forcing English in restaurants?
 
Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 AM
 
552 posts, read 413,940 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Science

When people are "genuinely nice", extremely friendly, nice, polite and caring in this part of the world, we automatically assume they want something from us. We love natural people, not people with a smile wired with to the cash register. When we enter into a shop or supermarket, we don't want to make friends, just to buy a toothbrush and toilet paper.

For example, when McDonalds installed their first franchises here, they trained employees to smile and say "hellow, how are you", they had to drop it because people thought they were idiotic.

Oh, yes, everybody loves easy flirtatious lovely ladies with large buxoms, but nothing shorter than that.
Wow, Miami is even worse than I thought. How truly depressing.
 
Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 4,274,184 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
Wow, Miami is even worse than I thought. How truly depressing.

You need to read these posts more carefully .... this guy does not even live in the US he lives in Barcelona and constantly posts on here so take what he posts with a grain of salt . There are nice people in Miami and there are jerks just like everywhere else ... the issue here is the refusal for many in the Hispanic community to speak any English . I have no issues with people speaking Spanish , as long as they speak English as well and use it as the principal language when conducting business .. even in blue collar jobs such as McDonalds or Burger Kings !!
My post was an example of what I encountered at The Westland Mall in Hialeah recently and left me in amazement at the amount of service employees there that spoke absolutely no English !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top