U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:10 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,098,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Sometime around January I think? Just go to the website miamidade.gov, Property Search link, and the calculator link is right there.
I know we approved it by voting. So even with the lawsuits against it right now, its in effect, till the courts can decide I guess??? That is what I was thinking about.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:32 AM

65 posts, read 207,290 times
I just moved from Chicago (but, have lived all over) to Royal Palm and I'd rather be paying flood insurance & wind insurance than dealing with blizzards and tornadoes...

Old 05-16-2008, 08:08 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,467,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I know we approved it by voting. So even with the lawsuits against it right now, its in effect, till the courts can decide I guess??? That is what I was thinking about.
It's in effect. I have been playing around with the numbers should I decide to buy something else.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:00 AM

439 posts, read 1,533,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Well, after 47 years living in South Florida (Miami, Marathon and now Weston), we are finally moving tomorrow to North Carolina. The movers took our stuff today, and we leave tomorrow at 1 PM. I cant think of a single thing I will miss, my Wife will miss the Cuban food. Our new home is more than double the size of where we live now, with a 1/2 acre lot. My insurances all went down by at least 50% (Auto went down 65%)! No wind storm insurance! No flood insurance! It was 50 degrees this AM! I can speak English in any restaurant I go to! I wont have the AC runnning this coming X-mas (or Halloween for that matter)! Instead of travelling 8 hours to get out of the State, I could be through my 5th State in that same time! Still only 7 hours to Disney, and only 5 to DC and 12 to NYC!
Good luck to those of you still sticking it out down here in "Paradise"!
I'm jealous. Can ya drop me off in the Raleigh area on your way up? 95 goes right through the county I want to call home (Johnston).

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:12 AM

546 posts, read 1,869,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
I'm jealous. Can ya drop me off in the Raleigh area on your way up? 95 goes right through the county I want to call home (Johnston).

Good luck with your move.
You'd really prefer Clayton over Boca? LOL...are you being facetious?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
You'd really prefer Clayton over Boca? LOL...are you being facetious?
I moved to Boca out of necessity 5 years ago. Now I don't HAVE to be here. I merely tolerate the place. I grew up in Cooper City, so that should say something about how I don't fit in with the Boca persona.

Clayton is more my pace. I'd be in Loxahatchee and The Acreage down here if I could afford it. But I can't so I'm not.

My husband and I have had just awful luck down here for the past 2 years. It's time for us to get out.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,012,636 times
It's just...ughh...why..Clayton?!!?!? Get into the mountains if you want good country living! The topography in that part of NC is just so bland to me. I would rather look at the slash pine forests in north Florida over that area.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:28 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,467,427 times
Well, for the record, I'll be in Blowing Rock in September for a week. One of those cabin places. Wanna see what all the hype is about. LOLLLLLLL
I will be there though, for real. 9/20-27

Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It's just...ughh...why..Clayton?!!?!? Get into the mountains if you want good country living!
It was too far west for the hubby. He wanted closer to the coast and I initially wanted Charlotte (don't have a coronary now!). So the Raleigh area was a happy compromise. Clayton puts us about 20 miles outside of Raleigh, so it's a nice, affordable area but still close enough to some semblance of a city. We'll be about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from the Outer Banks and about 3 1/2 hours away from hubby's family/friends in Virginia.

I really want to go...now we just have to afford to get there!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:33 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,012,636 times
I think the quality of life is good in the Triangle but the only area that I personally would live in is Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I just love that southern college town feel. I do kind of like the grit and history in Durham too even though a lot of it is seedy. The rest of the area doesn't really do anything for me. Everything is just too perfect. To use my dreaded car comparison again, it's like a Honda Accord. It does everything well and has some nice touches but it just doesn't inspire. Charlotte has more differences in the terrain and has the lakes which makes it a little more pleasant to me, although the actual quality of life IMO is nothing spectacular. I like the areas around Lake Norman but they are getting flooded by malcontents, so Tega Cay, SC is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami