U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,634,341 times

Advertisements

Apparently Charlotte is THE best place to live in America now. So, I kindly ask all of you malcontents in Miami to keep pulling up roots, drive down prices in Dade a little more, and come to the Utopia that is Charlotte. Once enough of you come, I'll move down your way, pick up property on the cheap and enjoy the good life.

Here's the story: Charlotte-Named-Best-Place-to-Live: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 04:45 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,422,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Apparently Charlotte is THE best place to live in America now. So, I kindly ask all of you malcontents in Miami to keep pulling up roots, drive down prices in Dade a little more, and come to the Utopia that is Charlotte. Once enough of you come, I'll move down your way, pick up property on the cheap and enjoy the good life.

Here's the story: Charlotte-Named-Best-Place-to-Live: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Lol! Yeah best place to live if you don't want to experience actual life! There's a lot of people like that too Stone!

Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,749,907 times
You do realize that Miami at one time was on everyone's "Best Places to Live" list, and I don't mean some list that the media is telling you have to accept as fact.

It used to be the place everyone planned to retire to, because of the "cheap" housing and weather. People from many different places came in and made Miami a vibrant and interesting place. It wasn't just because of the palm trees and sunshine, it was the people, and now those people are moving other places to make those places interesting as well (if they aren't already). I think the real estate bubble really screwed the place up. When ordinary people can't afford a place to live, of course they're going to be stressed and angry all the time because they are financially strained.

While I really hope the real estate market eventually corrects itself in Miami, I don't think you'll ever get a decent place "on the cheap" in terms of comparing to what you can get in say, Charlotte. That ship sailed many years ago. This is because there are so many foreign investors that are willing to pay the ridiculous prices for a piece for the "tropical" pie. They can also afford the insurance and property taxes that go along with those oh so prestigious home prices.

But I would love to see prices really level out and give ordinary people a fighting chance in Miami. The area and community really need that to happen.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,012,636 times
Good post miamiblue. And I'm not sure about the legitimacy of that study, considering Fort Myers was a finalist. It looks like they are mainly pushing the best places to buy, which Charlotte absolutely undoubtedly is (the prices are actually appreciating!).

Old 05-18-2008, 08:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,025,539 times
One thing to think of is that Miami is more likely to be destroyed than Charlotte. One category 4 or better, and the foreign investors run for the doors. That being said, I am still not a fan of much of North Carolina. It just seems too expensive for what it is. There are actually better areas in neighboring states for a whole lot less. I do agree that Miami is one of the worst in terms of its standard of living, but I tend to think that the mid-west is a lot more tempting than the east coast states in today's economy.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:34 PM

14 posts, read 6,753 times
StoneOne, please dont suggest that. Many people in this area do want to get out of here, and many of us dont want "malcontents" following us. Because if Miami does move up to NC, it will change, and not for the better. Bostonian, to call Miami "living the real life" is funny. Silly Bostonians.

Last edited by 32828; 05-18-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 03:44 PM

Malcontents usually don't realize that they are malcontents.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:49 PM

518 posts, read 1,946,732 times
I think those "Best Places to Live" lists have to be taken with a grain of salt anyway. First, the criteria are all over the map, depending on who's doing the rankings. Second, who's to say that one of the "best" places to live now will be that way in, say, 10 years?

Case in point: Fort Lauderdale. It made "Money" magazine's top 10 in 1996. Broward was adding 50,000 residents every year, the economy was booming, downtown Fort Lauderdale was undergoing a renaissance, and housing prices were appreciating but at a reasonable rate, maybe 5 percent annually. Hurricanes were staying away, with Andrew having been mostly a south Miami-Dade event in '92, and homeowners insurance and property taxes had yet to explode.

You don't see Fort Lauderdale making many top-10 lists now (though if you hate cold winters, don't mind long, hot summers, enjoy diversity and a major-metropolitan-area lifestyle, and have a fair amount of disposable income, a strong case still can be made for the area). Will Charlotte still be up there in 2015 or 2020? Only time will tell.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:54 PM

Last year Coral Springs, Pembroke Pines, Boca Raton AND Miramar were on the list. The lists are, at best, subjective.

And what kind of people were coming in droves to Ft. Lauderdale in 1996? Malcontents.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:59 PM

763 posts, read 3,151,396 times
Just last year, Miami Springs, Doral, Coral Gables and Weston were all ranked as some of America's best places to live. The lists change, and if all the malcontents of Florida keep moving to North Carolina, I doubt Charlotte or Raleigh will be on anyone's "best cities" list. Then we'll see those people coming back to Florida. It's a vicious cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or