Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 06:46 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times

Advertisements

Which is most like South Beach- easy to walk to grocery stores - which might have free public transportation. Is anything comparable to South Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 07:09 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Brickell is more compact and even more walkable than SoBe IMO.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:14 AM

278 posts, read 316,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Which is most like South Beach- easy to walk to grocery stores - which might have free public transportation. Is anything comparable to South Beach?
I would say Brickell is much more walkable than south beach, by a large margin.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:50 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrekid View Post
I would say Brickell is much more walkable than south beach, by a large margin.
South Beach has more - you get the beach for starters, that's a big plus. You have a Trader Joe's now and until recently, there was only 2 Publix in Brickell. At least now they have a crazy busy Whole Foods just over the bridge in Downtown.

The metro mover is nice which SoBe doesn't have. And then the Metro Rail to get to the airport and Dadeland mall.

So if you are a Beach person, then Brickell will never satisfy that. IF you like to get around Miami easy for work, social life, shopping, travel, etc. then Brickell hands down.

If you want to have what we used to call a 'normal' life while still walking to everything but want to raise a family, then Coconut Grove would easily top Sobe & Brickell.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-20-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
South Beach has more - you get the beach for starters, that's a big plus. You have a Trader Joe's now and until recently, there was only 2 Publix in Brickell. At least now they have a crazy busy Whole Foods just over the bridge in Downtown.

The metro mover is nice which SoBe doesn't have. And then the Metro Rail to get to the airport and Dadeland mall.

So if you are a Beach person, then Brickell will never satisfy that. IF you like to get around Miami easy for work, social life, shopping, travel, etc. then Brickell hands down.

If you want to have what we used to call a 'normal' life while still walking to everything but want to raise a family, then Coconut Grove would easily top Sobe & Brickell.

Hope that helps!
Was commenting strictly on walkable question. I find Brickell and downtown far more walkable than south beach in terms of access to everything one would need.

Now if the beach is something one would need, then of course south beach wins hands down.

But in terms of me picking up groceries without a car and getting to any point in neighborhood, going to a doctor's appointment, vet, bar, club, running paths, biking paths, restaurants, gym etc... I would Brickell by far

Old 10-20-2021, 07:14 AM

I walk an average of 5+ miles/day and only drive 4K miles/year (granted, I’m retired and do not commute to work) in Brickell….the only thing Brickell does not have are a Target and Office Depot (surprising considering it is a business district). That being said, I am giving strong consideration to going without a car when my lease is up and know others who have.

Quote:
Was commenting strictly on walkable question. I find Brickell and downtown far more walkable than south beach in terms of access to everything one would need.

Now if the beach is something one would need, then of course south beach wins hands down.

But in terms of me picking up groceries without a car and getting to any point in neighborhood, going to a doctor's appointment, vet, bar, club, running paths, biking paths, restaurants, gym etc... I would Brickell by far

Old 10-21-2021, 06:58 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Still disagree - South Beach has more. Our dentist was in Sobe, the Vet was in Sobe but now you have target and Trader Joe's. They always had a Whole Foods, a Best Buy, an Office Depot, 3 different Publix options and plenty of restaurants/bars/clubs to choose from. I took my scooter to Publix every week for groceries back in the day I'd fill that rear trunk up, under the seat, case of water under my feet and a bag or two from the handle bars!

For me, its really the lack of mass transit that Brickell has by far (outside of the cheap city bus that takes you around town or to the airport.)

Old 10-21-2021, 08:30 AM

Depends where one lives in SoBe….if you live in South of Fifth the Whole Foods is a solid 15 minute walk while the Post Office, Trader Joe’s, movie theatre, Office Depot, FedEx, and mall are 30+ minutes by foot.

I don’t have to leave my Brickell building for my morning coffee shop and dentist; the Post Office is across the street; there are 2 Equinox gyms, LA Fitness, Soul Cycle and multiple independent gyms within 10 minutes of one another; there are 2 malls within 5-8 minutes of me—one of which includes a movie theatre; the nicest cigar lounge in Miami Dade is a 2 minute walk; FedEx is a 5 minute walk; 2 Publix within a 7-8 minute walk (downtown Whole Foods is a 15 minute walk). Multiple banks within several minutes.

Flamingo Lummus, West Avenue and Sunset Harbour gives you something comparable to above; the rest of Miami Beach less so.

Walkscore gives Brickell a 98; South Pointe a 91; West Avenue a 90; and Sunset Harbour a 87. Flamingo Lummus gets the highest beach walkable score of 95. Coconut Grove gets a 91.

https://www.walkscore.com/score/bric...ve-miami-fl-us

https://www.walkscore.com/FL/Miami_Beach/South_Point

https://www.walkscore.com/FL/Miami_Beach/West_Avenue

https://www.walkscore.com/score/1900...beach-fl-33139

https://www.walkscore.com/FL/Miami_B...lamingo-Lummus

https://www.walkscore.com/score/coco...e%2Cmiami%2Cfl

Last edited by elchevere; 10-21-2021 at 08:45 AM..

Old 10-21-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Still disagree - South Beach has more. Our dentist was in Sobe, the Vet was in Sobe but now you have target and Trader Joe's. They always had a Whole Foods, a Best Buy, an Office Depot, 3 different Publix options and plenty of restaurants/bars/clubs to choose from. I took my scooter to Publix every week for groceries back in the day I'd fill that rear trunk up, under the seat, case of water under my feet and a bag or two from the handle bars!

For me, its really the lack of mass transit that Brickell has by far (outside of the cheap city bus that takes you around town or to the airport.)
As elchevere pointed out, you are basing the entire walkable argument on a select section of sobe. I would argue all of Brickell and downtown are walkable.

Doesn't matter if you live at the icon, blue Marina, Rise, old Brickell, west Brickell...you can walk out your apartment and walk to any destination you want.

I challenge you to live at 50 ocean and comfortably walk to a major grocery store. Or quickly get from the continuum to the equinox and back. Walkable, as a new Yorker, to me means literally walking out of my house without any access to public transportation, including scooters, and walking to my destination.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:15 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
"Walkable" might also mean -easy to walk rather than only distance. This might include traffic -waits at corners maybe even noise.

Another way of putting it is which is more enjoyable to walk. Perhaps you're a people or dog watcher etc.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami