U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:31 PM

59 posts, read 49,926 times

Advertisements

Interesting article, it deals with Miami's demographics and population trends. According to the article, current trends will continue....

In Miami, Hispanic majority takes hold - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM

546 posts, read 1,870,151 times
Do you always read articles online that are 4 years old? Talk about old news....

Old 05-20-2008, 01:38 PM

If anything, that Oct. 17th, 2004 article is more relevent now than it was back then, if you had actually read the whole thing. The article is part fact and part prophecy, and the prophecy part has been proven true by all accounts.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:33 PM

763 posts, read 3,152,503 times
Actually, if we're going to talk demographic figures on Miami-Dade County here, I think a lot of people will be surprised to know that Miami has lost Hispanics since 2000 and gained Black and White non-Hispanics. Here are the 2000 US Census and the 2006 US Census figures:

2000 US Census:
65% Hispanic (of any race)
17% Black (non-Hispanic)
17% White (non-Hispanic)
1.3% Asian

2006 US Census (estimates):
61% Hispanic (of any race)
20% Black (non-Hispanic)
19% White (non-Hispanic)
2% Asian

Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM

621 posts, read 1,916,250 times
I'm gonna agree with the "sophisticated racism" comment.

The article is just a way of stereotyping Hispanics - ALL the Hispanics in Miami are immigrants (90% illegal!), they ALL only speak Spanish, and they ALL hate whites!

...Or you could be a little more openminded and wait until you meet people to actually criticize.

It's nice to remember that people of all races have personalities.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM

463 posts, read 1,174,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Actually, if we're going to talk demographic figures on Miami-Dade County here, I think a lot of people will be surprised to know that Miami has lost Hispanics since 2000 and gained Black and White non-Hispanics. Here are the 2000 US Census and the 2006 US Census figures:

2000 US Census:
65% Hispanic (of any race)
17% Black (non-Hispanic)
17% White (non-Hispanic)
1.3% Asian

2006 US Census (estimates):
61% Hispanic (of any race)
20% Black (non-Hispanic)
19% White (non-Hispanic)
2% Asian
to argue a small percentage increase/decrase like that to me is nill; much less noticeable in my opinion

Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 PM

763 posts, read 3,152,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
to argue a small percentage increase/decrase like that to me is nill; much less noticeable in my opinion
Well what do you expect in a 6 year period a 30% increase in Asians? It's not going to change too much in such a short period, but it is definitely significant since it is a drop in the Hispanic population in Miami.

And to the OP, "flee north" because of the Hispanics ...real cute.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 PM

483 posts, read 1,347,302 times
That small percentage increase/decrease surely means "something". The best these census things do is capture trends or what is likely to happen in the 2010 census. A 4% decrease and a 2 and 3 % increase means soemthing. My guess would be Hispanics leaving outpaced that of Whites, and the number of whites and blacks moving here increased and also outpaced hispanics. Something changed, last year the City of Miami alone saw a population increased of 11%, that is a number that city hasn't seen since the 60's. After the 60's the City has seen increases of 3% in the 70's and 80's and then in the 90's it increased a whole 1%! This could mean gentrification and the building boom brought a boom in population for the city, probaly in white people more than hispanics. This is all speculation, but whatever it really is the increases and decreases are alot more than "nill".

Old 05-20-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
I was surprised by Kevinkagy's numbers, even though it "seems" as if it is not so. However, a 2% increase in white non-hispanics and a 4% decrease in hispanics is by no means "nill". It could be the start of a new trend. Maybe in the net ten years, this trend will "spike" in the same direction. Only time will tell.It is hard for me to believe that the black population went up by 2%. Everything I have heard indicates the opposite. However, there are people much smarter than me compiling those numbers, so it must be true.My question for this thread is what part of Miami-Dade is this 2% increase in white-non hispanics being felt? In other words, where exactly is this influx of "Anglos" moving in the county?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,092 times
Default The Opposite of "White Flight"

KevinKagy is right. Here is what I see happening.....

Thoughout the 90s, there were parts of Miami that were extremely dangerous to drive through (i.e., Liberty City, Overtown, Opa Locka in Dade and Sunland Park, Sistrunk Blvd in Broward) However, we are observing a few trends that are turning these neighborhoods upside-down...for the better.

1. Carribean & Latin American immigrants are infiltrating these neighborhoods because its some of the only ones they can afford when they come to the U.S. Their priorities are (A) Citisenship/Residence (B) Homeownership (C) The Education/Acceleration of their children. While many carribean-born or south american-born kids take-on the style of hip-hop and adopt their clothing trends, you will find a kind mannerism that is civil and positive. As a result, these neighborhoods may sometimes look dangerous, but may not be.

2.Tons and tons of money is being poured into the redevelopment and revitalization of these cities, particularly Sistrunk, Sunland Park, and Liberty City. Just go on the city websites to see the plans.

3. During this real estate bubble crash, many of the older African-Americans are losing or having to sell their homes. And since many of them are the only ones in town with real equity, we are seeing a process of (A) investors buying these homes with tons of equity (B) selling them to carribean and latino families for a profit. This means that the "African-American 30 yr old thugs" throughout these cities can no longer live with their parents and for the first time must go out and get a job to pay their own rent. Many others are moving to Georgia and Alabama.

4. Most of the thugs of the 80s and 90s that once inhabited these neighborhoods are either locked-up, or getting out of jail reformed. There os also a growing African-American population returning from college and grad school to buy homes with their new families in these neighborhoods. These urban professionals are making it a point to "keep their money in their neighborhoods".

5.Toughened Jews and Europeans from Canada, Boston, New York City, South Africa, and the UK are moving right into these neighborhoods knowing that they can get a good bargain or two in this changing market. They tend not to have any altercations with the few thugs left, because these people are less likely to Pre-judge and are more likely to get to know the locals. This is the opposite of "white-flight" and for me, it is an investor's dream. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Keeper; 05-22-2008 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: removed business name from EVERY paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or