U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 PM
loi loi started this thread

3 posts, read 9,755 times
Default From Wash. D.C. to Miami! Please give me your opinion.

I have lived in DC all my life but moving to Miami has always been in the back of my head. I have decided to make the move in 09 but I desperately need advice as to where.
A little about me: I am in the cosmetic surgery/dermatology field. Like DC is there an area in Miami, where there seems to me a lot more cosmetic surgeons/derms/physicians. I have been spoiled for the past few years by working and living on the same street and easily being able to walk. How is traffic.

I want a modern, professional and upbeat place to be.

I have a little girl so safety and great schools is a MUST.

I would be renting at first. What and where could I go and get for $1500 monthly. Parking is super important.

I've been leaning towards Aventura and Coral Gables. Any other suggestions.

Thanks a bunch.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 07:50 AM

2,082 posts, read 5,023,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loi View Post
I have lived in DC all my life but moving to Miami has always been in the back of my head. I have decided to make the move in 09 but I desperately need advice as to where.
A little about me: I am in the cosmetic surgery/dermatology field. Like DC is there an area in Miami, where there seems to me a lot more cosmetic surgeons/derms/physicians. I have been spoiled for the past few years by working and living on the same street and easily being able to walk. How is traffic.

I would be renting at first. What and where could I go and get for $1500 monthly. Parking is super important.

Thanks a bunch.
You will be happy to hear that the cosmetic surgery/dermatology offices in Miami are always packed! Everything in Miami is cosmetic, add in the sun and beaches and you've got a lot of people trying to look young and at the same time getting a lot of sun damage. In fact, most people in the derm offices are there for cosmetic stuff. I visited two different derms for medical derm issues, and sat in their waiting rooms up to an hour after my scheduled appointment time while people were ushered in right away for costmetic appointments.

I think Coral Gables is a good bet. I think $1500 might be able to get you a nice newer 1br condo, or maybe an older and not as nice 2br. Probably not any single family homes at that rate in Coral Gables. Parking isn't really a problem anywhere that I'm aware of in Miami.

Traffic in Miami is bad, but different from DC. From my experiences in the DC metro area, it seems that there is always traffic and the traffic is always moving really slow. In Miami: 1) it is congested because you have a lot of people on the road, but not enough to always bring things down to a steady 5 mph for everyone, 2) you have people driving 10 mph slower than the speed limit in the "fast lane", 3) you have people "driving like they stole it" and lane surfing (without turn signals) around slow pokes and the few people who are actually driving somewhat near the speed limit, 4) lots of tourists and newly arrived immigrants who are either unfamiliar with the area or unfamiliar with US driving rules. It definitely gets interesting. I highly recommend living as close to work as possible and in the opposite direction of traffic (in the Coral Gables area, this would mean living north and/or east of where your office is).

Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 AM

549 posts, read 1,859,153 times
Quote:
Brickell and Coral Gables are the only two neighborhoods I can think of that meet this criteria. Brickell is essentially downtown Miami and you can walk to many things. It's a nice, upscale area full of professionals. Coral Gables is more family-oriented and is very nice too. There are many shops, restaurants, etc. and if you live close to the Miracle Mile, you can walk to some things. Overall though, Miami is not a very walkable city.
Quote:
Coral Gables is nice overall and you really wouldn't have to worry about your daughter there. Brickell is nice too, although if you venture a couple blocks outside of its core, it can be a little shady. I wouldn't imagine you'd be roaming around those parts of Miami much at night though. Since you're from DC, I'm sure you're familiar with all the street smarts that come with living in a large city.
Quote:
You should be able to find something for $1500. As the above poster said, you can get a fairly nice 1 bedroom for that much, or probably an older 2 bedroom that's off the beaten path a little.
Quote:
See above (Brickell). You didn't mention where you would be working, but if it's in Miami itself, you may want to be careful about living in Aventura. The commute will kill you every day. It looks close on the map, but you'd be going with rush hour traffic at a crawl. I used to live on South Beach and work in the Coral Gables area and it took me a solid hour to get back and forth during rush hour traffic...and I was going against the majority of it. I finally had to move close to my job. Unfortunately, public transportation is really not an option in Miami.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:44 PM

17 posts, read 58,943 times
I am giving you my experience with the caveat that I just moved down to the Miami area. So, I can't give you the perspective of someone who has lived in Miami their whole life. Instead, I can give you the perspective of someone moving to Miami that lived in the DC area (Woodbridge, Fairfax, Ballston) for about 7 years. As stated, Miami traffic is different than DC traffic. Without knowing what part of the DC area you lived in, I can tell you that it is not nearly as congested as, say, I-66 heading into the District at rush hour. You can actually move in this traffic, it isn't deadlocked. So, that's the good news. The bad news is the public transportation system in Miami is nowhere near as extensive as DC Metro. There is essentially one line that runs north/south. There is Tri-Rail, it is similar to VRE. Now, as for neighborhood perspective, I could not rationalize Brickell. Brickell is something like Crystal City or Rosslyn. I didn't live in either, because I don't like the idea of living in high rises, and that is pretty much all there is in Brickell (that I could see). Coral Gables is a nice area, but it is super expensive in comparison to the rest of the Miami market. So is Pinecrest. However, compared to DC prices, its cheaper than, say, McLean. Think old, but renovated houses, off the top of my head I can't compare it to anything in the DC market in terms of architecture. As for crime, well, I have to admit it, I ultimately decided I could not live in Dade County. Too much of a zoo to me. I moved to southern Broward County. Things are more laid back there than Dade. Hey, when I want to party, then fine, I'll go to South Beach, but when I want slower paced, that's where I want to live. Think of Broward as being like Fairfax or Loudon, think of Dade as being like DC east and north of the Capitol. I wouldn't quite call it as bad as Prince George, but there definitely is a crime problem in Miami that I think is worse than DC's. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, and that's fine, as I say, I'm just moving to Miami and noticed you were from DC and thought I would help. I didn't mind working in the District, but no way I wanted to live there. Oh, and don't give up your Redskins gear, at least the Redskins have a chance to win, the Dolphins seem to be hopeless. Best of luck to you

Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 PM

17 posts, read 58,943 times
Oh, and by the way, they do have Five Guys in the Miami area

Old 05-23-2008, 02:50 PM
loi loi started this thread

3 posts, read 9,755 times
Thank you so much. You have been a big help. I actually live in Chevy Chase, MD and work there as well. I lucked out and found a wonderful apt. community off of Connecticut Avenue and it's $1600.00 a month for a 2 bed room. I really can't complain of my DC situation. I am a native, love the area, love my job but I just can't get MIAMI out of my head. Maybe it's because I am the cosmetic surgery industry. It all leads to Miami and my silly idea of wanting something new. I of course can't buy in the DC area not on a single income and it seems like Miami is just the same. I just don't want to leave my great place and situation for something less. The more I read, the more I want to stay home. We will see. Thanks again and I always will love my skins.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 AM

245 posts, read 775,731 times
Quote:

Thanks a bunch.
schools are not good down here and traffic can be horrendous, good luck to you, but i don't think you'll like it...come down and try it for a while but only temporary and then move back...

Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM

8,377 posts, read 20,082,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
schools are not good down here and traffic can be horrendous
Wait, shes moving from DC and your telling her the traffic here is terrible?

Old 05-28-2008, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 37,318 times
Default Hi Loi

I'm also from the D.C. area, having grown up there (lived on Columbia Pike, moments from the Pentagon.) I moved away from there ten years ago and ended up in South Florida and I really enjoy it. I haven't been back to D.C. much, but I know it's changed a lot.

Miami is expensive, but nothing compared to D.C. now. I understand that 1-bed condos near Ballston and Court House are going for $600k and up. (Not familiar with Maryland prices). For that amount here, you can own a fabulous house on the beach!

I think there'd be plenty of opportunity in your line of work down here. Keep in mind that Miami is a unique world of its own, literally. While D.C. has a lot of highly educated professionals who come about their success that way, many people in Miami are rich or successful based on who they know and how they look. Also, many extremely rich people from other countries come here just to live it up, which highlights an already-huge disparity between the haves and have-nots.

D.C. is more stable, professional, educated. Miami, well, is not. LOL

Traffic? Nothing could ever top the Beltway! 395, Route 50, and I-66 were also bad -- and thats me remembering 10 years back. If you can survive D.C. traffic, its not any worse here. I'd avoid moving to far-off places like Doral or Kendall -- not only will you have much worse traffic, but the only escape is taking the Turnpike which charges high tolls. And with gas what it is, it's not worth it to live out there unless your job is close by.

I'd be very careful where you move if you have a kid and are concerned with schools. If staying north, move to Aventura or Miami Shores. If you are staying south, move to Key Biscayne or Pinecrest, if you can afford it. Not sure about the schools in Brickell. You may wish to consider private school.

Hope if works out. I'd recommend you take a long visit before making a final decision. I tend to believe Miami is better for single young adults and not so great if you have kids.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:25 AM

14 posts, read 30,473 times
Default DC to Miami,

Yes, I had thought of making the move myself to the Bay Side area. Bricklell Ave, would not be a safe place to have children or to walk around a few blocks at night. Also, the traffic in the Miami is as bit of gridlock, similar to the Westbound I-66 or Route 50.

Your field, I am not too familiar on the medical field, but the price of upkeep towards beauty may be eye-shocking price tag (plus on your career field). The locals tend to have an affinity for beauty and high-material substance, at a high price tag. Of course, you may see other areas, such as Ft. Lauderdale or Boca Raton, even though you may receive the same outcome but at a slower pace than Miami. Then again, it seems to be a fad, where most of the children attend private school versus public ($$44million, budget deficit of the school system, Miami-Dade County). I would say, you have to weigh your options by taking a short time-off and gauge your work-life, child safety and average leisure lifestyle-- to achieve your moderate benefit.

Personally, I do see the housing market dropping in prices, so you may get a deal within a year or so. Or, you may wait a little and see-- how the housing market would pan out vs renting?? I do live in the DC area and based out of the Mclean, VA. In terms of housing, anything would be cheaper in Miami than DC area. Of course, the quality of life would diverge from living in the same area, it will diminish drastically. You will have to tolerate with the most ridiculous and absurdity of people in the world and local government (well, think of DC local government and its current budget constraints and triple the short-fall). At least, the DC area has its spots of nightlife, lounges and five star dinning. And, Miami is does have its trendy and bohemian night spots, with the attitude of being part of a facade. "smoke and mirrors"-- it may seem serene and cosmopolitan, but it does have a strings attached, Condos fees ($500 per month), Taxes ($6K on avg) and parking (above $140 per month). Definitely no metro access to any work or fun places, nor VRE without paying parking fees, non-existent in Miami.

I do agre with fellow ex-pats (DC) posts, UKGRAD89, Decodriveboy and NewtoSFLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami