Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 AM

294 posts, read 1,149,264 times

Advertisements

Okay,

So we are considering our options for a move soon out of North Beach in hopes of getting the right deal on a 2/2 condo downtown. With our first baby due soon, we have narrowed down one possibility as Brickell, as we like city-life and we won't be ready for the burbs for another five or six years. We know Brickell to a small degree, as my wife's work often takes us there for happy hour. However, everyone we know that actually lives in Brickell is young and single with no kids. We would like to get the opinion of those with kids (or who knows someone with kids) how family-friendly Brickell is for a young, professional couple.

We already know the evils of living in Miami, so please no Miami-bashing (we are fine with rude people, no English, living amongst latinos, etc.). We would like to hear from anyone who lives in Brickell with children what your experiences are, both good and bad. We know South Beach really well, and that is an option too, but we would like the real scoop on Brickell.

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
Prices in Miami are forecasted to drop another 24% by May of next year. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY NOW.

Also..please be very aware that the HOA fee's may very well double or special assessments may be imposed on you if there are many tenants that have abandoned and foreclosed. If you do decide to buy in Brickell, make sure to buy at an older well-established high-rises...not the new one's built in the last 4 years. Believe me, the HOA mess is going to rear it's ugly head VERY soon....you will here much more about it in the papers and the news in 2008.

I would recommend renting for a year...you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 PM

145 posts, read 302,275 times
Oh lord. Do NOT buy now. Unless you get an apartment for 2001 prices, cause that is where they are all going. 24% decrease only for the next year.

To establish authority, I'm an economist by trade. Two grad degrees in economics (one from a top 10). Do NOT buy. Do NOT buy.

Even if they give you 30% off the listed price, do NOT buy. These buildings are entering dire financial situations.

Seriously. Do NOT buy.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:37 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
Well, on a more positive note. I do not live in Brickell myself, (I wish), but I actually know two families that live in Brickell. One family lives in Mark at Brickell, the other at Plaza on Brickell (but I'm not 100% sure). The one family has lived there for a long time, since the 80's or so, and they've moved from Brickell homes once or twice. However, the kids are all older now and are in high school and college. The second family has two babies and they like the neighborhood.

I do know that Brickell has a good public magnet elementary school, Southside Elementary and has a lot of nice pocket parks that are a lot of fun for kids or taking a walk. In the area, there's Brickell Park, Southside Park (with children's area), Simpson Park (nature preserve), Bayfront Park (with children's area), Bicentennial Park, Alice Wainwright Park (nature preserve), Allen Morris Park, and a bunch of other scattered pocket parks. Then there's the cultural attractions in the area for kids: MAM, Historical Museum of Southern Florida, Arsht Center, American Airlines Arena, Miami Science Museum which caters to kids big time, Vizcaya, etc.

Oh and not to mention that you can never touch a car again in your life if you live in that area. There's three Publix in Brickell alone, and everything is either walking distance or by a FREE metromover station! I really love Brickell, and if I could, I'd move to Brickell in a flash. I hate the suburbs, I find them dull, boring and isolating and areas like Downtown, Midtown, Brickell etc. have a urban feel with the vibe of people, so my suggestion would be "move to Brickell".

Last edited by kevinkagy; 05-24-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 12:52 PM

145 posts, read 302,275 times
Move wherever. But rent.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:25 PM

34 posts, read 170,255 times
Thanks all for some great advice. I too am moving with the family to Miami in July of this year. We have elected to rent a condo the 1st year on Brickell Key. We like the fact that the building is full service and in close proximity to all the services. We also feel it will give us an opportunity to make friends easier. We also found a very nice preschool for our son at ICS (International Christian School) which is opening in a new location at the church at 609 Brickell. This is their website: Welcome to ICS International Christian School

We sold our condo in NYC and will wait to see what the Miami market does this year.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:25 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrulay View Post
Thanks all for some great advice. I too am moving with the family to Miami in July of this year. We have elected to rent a condo the 1st year on Brickell Key. We like the fact that the building is full service and in close proximity to all the services. We also feel it will give us an opportunity to make friends easier. We also found a very nice preschool for our son at ICS (International Christian School) which is opening in a new location at the church at 609 Brickell. This is their website: Welcome to ICS International Christian School

We sold our condo in NYC and will wait to see what the Miami market does this year.
Congratulations, I hope you have a smooth move to Miami! I had never heard of ICS, but after looking at the website, it looks good. How many students are enrolled in the Brickell campus do you know by any chance?

Old 05-26-2008, 10:57 PM

34 posts, read 170,255 times
I'm not sure how many students they have enrolled for the Fall. The school was out in Key Biscayne and they chose to move to the Brickell Avenue location. Fall of this year will be the in auguration of the new campus.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 21,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
Okay,

So we are considering our options for a move soon out of North Beach in hopes of getting the right deal on a 2/2 condo downtown. With our first baby due soon, we have narrowed down one possibility as Brickell, as we like city-life and we won't be ready for the burbs for another five or six years. We know Brickell to a small degree, as my wife's work often takes us there for happy hour. However, everyone we know that actually lives in Brickell is young and single with no kids. We would like to get the opinion of those with kids (or who knows someone with kids) how family-friendly Brickell is for a young, professional couple.

We already know the evils of living in Miami, so please no Miami-bashing (we are fine with rude people, no English, living amongst latinos, etc.). We would like to hear from anyone who lives in Brickell with children what your experiences are, both good and bad. We know South Beach really well, and that is an option too, but we would like the real scoop on Brickell.

Can anyone help?

Hello,
I have lived on Brickell Key for 7 years. I'm married and we have 3 kids ages 2,4 and 6.
I will tell you that there is no where else I'd rather live in all of Miami than Brickell Key.
We live in Tequesta Three on the 36th floor and the views and island life are amazing. I can't speak for what life might be on Brickell but from my personal experience, if you have a family, Brickell Key is the way to go.

The island is secluded and there are so many families with children here. The association just recently added a brand new park with a large green space that includes one of those circular fountains that shoots water from the ground that the children can play in.

Do yourself a favor and live on the island, as cliche as it may sound, Island life is wonderful.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talentco View Post
Hello,
I have lived on Brickell Key for 7 years. I'm married and we have 3 kids ages 2,4 and 6.
I will tell you that there is no where else I'd rather live in all of Miami than Brickell Key.
We live in Tequesta Three on the 36th floor and the views and island life are amazing. I can't speak for what life might be on Brickell but from my personal experience, if you have a family, Brickell Key is the way to go.

The island is secluded and there are so many families with children here. The association just recently added a brand new park with a large green space that includes one of those circular fountains that shoots water from the ground that the children can play in.

Do yourself a favor and live on the island, as cliche as it may sound, Island life is wonderful.
I agree with you 100 %. However, downtown Brickell offers amentities and advantages that Brickell Key does not, including being on the doorstep to public transit, a short stumble home from many bars/pubs, and more than 1 restaurant within walking distance like Brickell Key - there are actually like 30 in a "few block radius". I have a car and I rarely use it because I live downtown/Brickell. Brickell Key is quieter and more secluded, and I can see why that appeals to you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami