U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 AM
 
1,946 posts, read 4,585,852 times
Reputation: 851

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shueman007 View Post
It's hard to believe that a member of the Florida Bar since 1973 can have such poor ethics and writing skills. Your statements are discriminatory and offensive to both blacks and hispanics. It may be true that a high percentage of minorities attend FIU College of Law. However, the City of Miami has a diverse population and it's no coincidence that a higher percentage of minorities attend FIU versus other law schools in Florida or the nation as a whole. Looking at statistics in a vacuum is a downright absurd twist of reality.

That being said, the Florida Bar administers the same test every year and students from FIU consistently pass the bar at the same rate as presumably more qualified (per your post) students from UF and Florida State. Check the facts. To compare FIU to FAMU's law school that consistently ranks 30 points lower than FIU among the Florida Bar's passage rate statistics is a ridiculous statement. Do your research and you will find that FIU consistently ranks much higher than a school like Stetson that is regularly on the bubble between a 1st and 2nd tier school or other 4th tier schools in the Florida like Nova or Coastal.

I am a white male and 4th year part time student set to graduate in December. FIU is the only law school in the area that offers an evening program and allows students to work full time and pursue a JD at the same time. UM does not offer a similar program. I chose FIU because the school is inexpensive and allowed me to continue working full time. My employer offered to pay my way and I jumped at the opportunity. Although I do not speak spanish, I do not find myself out of place. Although I was admittedly concerned with how i would fit in with the level of student diversity, the school has proven to have a comfortable atmosphere for all.

If you are considering FIU, I would recommend the school. The professors are top notch. In fact, many professors come from top tier schools or also teach part time at UM. You can come out of FIU with loans that are less than 1/2 of UM and, although UM graduates may have a statistically higher starting salary, FIU grads will not face the reality of paying back 100K+ in loans and the necessity for landing a top paying private practice job.

I would disregard offensive and blanket statements from people such as the "member of the Florida bar since 1973." This person has very little credibility having no first hand knowledge of the school or the caliber of student that come to campus daily.

Do your own research on law schools and choose a school that fits your needs. If you get into UF or Florida State, it is worth considering these schools over FIU because of notoriety coupled with in-state tuition. However, if you are considering a part time program or other schools with similar acceptance criteria, FIU is a damn good choice considering the high bar passage rate, low tuition, and location in a large city.
I actually agree with Robyn as to what the original intention behind FIU's law school was (the whole diversity thing). That said, I think FIU has done great with the school thus far and has a bright future. Keep in mind that FIU and FAMU are the only public law schools located in major cities--and once you exclude that clusterf*** that is FAMU then FIU becomes a really attractive option for those who want to do a part-time program. So if anything FIU blossomed whereas FAMU didn't, even if they were both started with similar intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 PM
 
9 posts, read 40,609 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranhaman View Post
AACSB is the bible when choosing any school. Something intereting that I learned about this accredation is that many schools that do not have it usually do not apply for it because they know they would not get accepted. It looks better for schools such as Nova to never try to get AACSB then to try to get it and get rejected. FIU, on the other hand, IS AACSB accredited, and has been under the wing of AACSB for quite some time.
The value of AACSB does not translate well when talking about 3 and 4 tier schools. Where you will find AACSB good to have is if you ever decide to teach at a school with AACSB accreditation. They tend to want profs that have degrees from AACSB schools. Business people hardly even know what it is. Regarding MBA programs, nearly all the best B-schools are AACSB-accredited, but I wouldn't be too quick to draw a cause-and-effect relationship. Applying for AACSB is a 7 year process and NSU is on track for accreditation to be granted by 2014.

Today, NSU's business school is lenient on entrance requirements because its so young. Like any new school, NSU has to create demand amongst students and its competitors before it can start raising the bar. Comparing NSU's B-school to that of UM, FIU, or UF is not an accurate comparison as they are much older. Also, many people don't know that NSU is the result of two separate schools that merged together. Programs like medicine for example, which have been around for many years and have had the chance to become much more established, are extremely difficult to get into and very well recognized. The medical program has connections all over the US with some of the best hospitals offering residencies to NSU med students.

It will take time for NSU's B-school to get to the level it wants to, and acquiring AACSB is a step in the right direction. I think that with time the B-school will grow to match the ranks of its other more established programs and will rise in the rankings much like UF has in the last few years.

Last edited by john_calvano; 10-12-2010 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2010, 09:19 AM
 
9 posts, read 40,609 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
As far as FIU goes, it is a LOCALLY recognized school. I was once a recruiter for a VERY PRESTIGIOUS university in NYC and did not hear of FIU until I moved to Broward County... I'm happy that it's making strides in the right direction, but let's call it what it is....
I attended the no.2 ranked school in Canada- I'll bet you never heard of it either. There are only a handful of schools recognized by everyone in the world (i.e. Harvard, Princeton, Yale)... most of these schools have been around for over 60 years. For 99% of other schools you are going to find someone somewhere who says "University of what ???".

Some people are believers that where one graduates is the no.1 factor. As a hiring manager at Microsoft, I can tell you that it depends on the candidate. If someone from Harvard interviews vs. someone from the University of San Jose- we could care less. Depends on the qualities they offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,635 posts, read 16,884,083 times
Reputation: 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_calvano View Post
I attended the no.2 ranked school in Canada- I'll bet you never heard of it either. There are only a handful of schools recognized by everyone in the world (i.e. Harvard, Princeton, Yale)... most of these schools have been around for over 60 years. For 99% of other schools you are going to find someone somewhere who says "University of what ???".

Some people are believers that where one graduates is the no.1 factor. As a hiring manager at Microsoft, I can tell you that it depends on the candidate. If someone from Harvard interviews vs. someone from the University of San Jose- we could care less. Depends on the qualities they offer.
I think tech is a lot different than law. In tech - it frequently doesn't matter if you graduate at all. Employers look at what you've done - what you can do. I suspect most lawyers are like me. When I got out of law school - I didn't have the slightest idea how to do anything - even write a coherent sentence (law school tends to mangle one's ability to write).

So employers usually rely on credentials. Not necessarily wise - but safe. Many of the best lawyers I know (I was an appellate lawyer and know a ton of trial lawyers) have no academic credentials to speak of. Just a natural gift of gab in front of a jury (or sometimes a tendency to be an effective bully - an unfortunate but useful trial lawyer trait).

BTW - I sometimes get this thread confused with another law school thread in the JAX forum (near where I live) - the Florida Coastal thread - if I don't look at the titles. There's a lot of useful info there for people who are looking at tier 3-4 law schools. I guess one thing that can be said about a place like FIU versus Florida Coastal is it's a lot cheaper - you won't go into as much debt to get a degree. Robyn

P.S. to Shueman - I actually do know how to write. Can't tell you how many appellate briefs I've written in how many courts. But when I write messages on chat boards (I've done that for 20+ years now) - I write like I talk. Altogether different style. I've met many people FTF after they've become "on line friends" - and they always say my real-time sounds exactly like my messages .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM
 
18,856 posts, read 29,993,604 times
Reputation: 25936
It is not so much the school you go to, but the internship you are able to get, and the caliber of people you work for in your internship.

Recently, I was talking to some lawyers, who hired a new associate, and there were alot of people who applied for this job...and the reason the guy got the job, is that the other lawyers knew who he worked for during his internship, and knew that anyone who did an internship with this guy, was worth his wieght...

Something to think about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 PM
 
12,297 posts, read 11,730,188 times
Reputation: 16710
Getting an internship now days is as hard as getting a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM
 
9 posts, read 40,609 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Getting an internship now days is as hard as getting a job.
Like anything, it will depend on the quality of internships offered at any given school, the relationships established with companies, the current market demand and the quality of individual candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 12:47 PM
 
9 posts, read 40,609 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
BTW - I sometimes get this thread confused with another law school thread in the JAX forum (near where I live) - the Florida Coastal thread - if I don't look at the titles. There's a lot of useful info there for people who are looking at tier 3-4 law schools.
Can you post a link to the Jax forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,635 posts, read 16,884,083 times
Reputation: 6677
Here's a link to the Florida Coastal thread in the JAX forum:

Florida Coastal School of Law...should I go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: McKeesport, PA
2,327 posts, read 6,788,390 times
Reputation: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_calvano View Post
The value of AACSB does not translate well when talking about 3 and 4 tier schools. Where you will find AACSB good to have is if you ever decide to teach at a school with AACSB accreditation. They tend to want profs that have degrees from AACSB schools. Business people hardly even know what it is. Regarding MBA programs, nearly all the best B-schools are AACSB-accredited, but I wouldn't be too quick to draw a cause-and-effect relationship. Applying for AACSB is a 7 year process and NSU is on track for accreditation to be granted by 2014.

Today, NSU's business school is lenient on entrance requirements because its so young. Like any new school, NSU has to create demand amongst students and its competitors before it can start raising the bar. Comparing NSU's B-school to that of UM, FIU, or UF is not an accurate comparison as they are much older. Also, many people don't know that NSU is the result of two separate schools that merged together. Programs like medicine for example, which have been around for many years and have had the chance to become much more established, are extremely difficult to get into and very well recognized. The medical program has connections all over the US with some of the best hospitals offering residencies to NSU med students.

It will take time for NSU's B-school to get to the level it wants to, and acquiring AACSB is a step in the right direction. I think that with time the B-school will grow to match the ranks of its other more established programs and will rise in the rankings much like UF has in the last few years.
I'm, sorry; I haven't read back in the thread -- so I'm quite sure why the AACSB accredidation thing was brought up (I thought the thread was about law schools). However I figured I would mention a couple of my thoughts.

Why didn't Nova apply for AACSB accredidation from the beginning? This is my main concern. I am going for an MBA at FGCU and they are accredited...and have been since at least 2008. They only offered their first classes ever in 1997. I do not know when or how they earned accredidation...but it must have happened when the business school was in its infancy. To be fair, an old boss of mine is currently working on her MBA at Nova...and she likes the program. Also they have a good alumni presence in South Florida. However the tuition alone took it out of the game when it came time for me to apply to programs. But for sure, their lack of accredidation was another concern (although it wasn't in regards to the quality of the program...but more so the portability of the degree).

It has also been my experience that the AACSB accredidation is a bit more recognized than you claim. I do know of hiring managers that are familiar with it; especially if they went to business school (undergraduate or graduate) themselves. Also you can run into issues if you ever want to transfer or go back for another degree; in that if your new/latest school is AACSB accredited, than they may not recognize the coursework from your previous degree. It is also a concern when trying to join professional organizations. The National Black MBA Association (http://www.nbmbaa.org/docs/membershipapplicationv3.pdf - broken link) requires that you be pursuing an MBA at an 'approved program' in order to join. I called them, and that basically means AACSB accredited.

Back to the FIU law school issue...I find that ranking law schools is almost as pointless of an endeavor as ranking business schools. Not everyone goes to law school or business school with the same career aspirations. FIU's law program is young and has very few alumni (like my MBA program at FGCU). However it is MUCH cheaper that UM's or Nova's law schools and have the proper accredidation and respectable bar passage rates. As someone mentioned before, it's all about the internship.

Speaking of internships...UM's law school offers their grads who are unfortunate enough to graduate without a job offer, a chance to participate in this fellowship where they can get a legal position with government offices and special needs organizations. However the stipend is a measly $2,500/month. Much less than most (all?) law school graduates would be expecting to make salary-wise!

Last edited by MissShona; 11-02-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top