U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 PM

710 posts, read 1,391,836 times
I'm as 'gringo' as they come and had 2 instances in 12 years where I was somewhere in Miami that I COULDN'T find someone to speak English and a couple more where the person at the counter/helping me had to call someone else over.
(I can get by in Spanish usually, but sometimes it's just too complicated.)

Everyone of these families will be speaking mostly English in 2 generations. It's just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:06 PM

8,252 posts, read 15,480,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Very true. Hispanics made Miami what it is today.
That is an insult to "Hispanics". Miami is an example of how NOT to manage a city. It never improves, because the lifestyle has degraded exponentially since the 1970's. This is not a language issue, it is a culture of corruption, independant of race or nationality.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM

167 posts, read 28,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That is an insult to "Hispanics". Miami is an example of how NOT to manage a city. It never improves, because the lifestyle has degraded exponentially since the 1970's. This is not a language issue, it is a culture of corruption, independant of race or nationality.
Whooa ..... good and accurate post !!!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,520,672 times
Soooooooooo

How's UM's rec hall doing today?
Attached Thumbnails
No comments on Foxnews article????-ivis-mascot.bmp  

Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 PM

28 posts, read 262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
I'm as 'gringo' as they come and had 2 instances in 12 years where I was somewhere in Miami that I COULDN'T find someone to speak English and a couple more where the person at the counter/helping me had to call someone else over.
(I can get by in Spanish usually, but sometimes it's just too complicated.)

Everyone of these families will be speaking mostly English in 2 generations. It's just the way it is.
You're right, kids always learn English. But in most cases their parents and especially their grandparents never learn it. I am curious, just how did you manage to get stuck only twice in 12 years in Miami? Didn't you say that you spoke Spanish. I am a gringo as well, but there was never a time when I couldn't get by in Spanish; I have a wicked Cuban accent. However, communicating with IGNORANT people who speak only Spanish can sometimes be a pain in the ass. Communicating in Spanish with someone who is NOT ignorant is a piece of cake. Also, the little attitude thing that latin women give white women in Miami when they don't know Spanish is real!!! But it also applies to lain males as well!!! I hate the attitude thing, I feel like saying go home!!!I just have one question. How can you 'quantify' specifically '2' times in the last twelve years... Do you have a journal where you mark this stuff down?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:53 PM

10,153 posts, read 10,350,676 times
Cane Fan-I haven't been hiding anywhere except Pinecrest for 32 years. I just moved to Charlotte 3 months ago.

Yes, hopefully Canes can turn it around this year. I will be flying a UM flag from the house!!! GO CANES

I love that picture of the van. Too bad it wasn't a miami dade license plate!!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM

1,770 posts, read 5,434,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Cane Fan-I haven't been hiding anywhere except Pinecrest for 32 years. I just moved to Charlotte 3 months ago.

Yes, hopefully Canes can turn it around this year. I will be flying a UM flag from the house!!! GO CANES

I love that picture of the van. Too bad it wasn't a miami dade license plate!!
What picture? They stopped putting 'Dade' on the license plates years ago...

Old 06-05-2008, 02:36 PM

8,252 posts, read 15,480,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Soooooooooo

How's UM's rec hall doing today?
It's a worthless pile of junk now. The bowling lanes are gone, the pool tables have been all but removed. It's just a third-rate "cafe" style hangout with a stupid store. Unbelievable loss of what was once a unique place. However, some of the bowling seating lives on at my place.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:40 PM

710 posts, read 1,391,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranhaman View Post
I just have one question. How can you 'quantify' specifically '2' times in the last twelve years... Do you have a journal where you mark this stuff down?
Once in a small hardware store in CGables where the grandfather (I found out later) was "watching" the store alone and I needed some keys made.
Once in Westchester where I needed to buy oil at a gas station and didn't know the word for oil.

Those are the only 2 times that I can remember not being able to get by in my broken, "tarzan" Spanish ("Un cortadito por favor" is a favorite) or when they couldn't get someone who spoke English to help me.
I'm sure I've run into folks who didn't understand my English or broken Spanish and I know I've had instances when I didn't fully understand whoever was helping me (sorry those Cuban accents drive me crazy), but it hasn't ever been an actual problem (like I had to come back or go somewhere else) except in those 2 instances that I can remember.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,520,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Once in a small hardware store in CGables where the grandfather (I found out later) was "watching" the store alone and I needed some keys made.
Once in Westchester where I needed to buy oil at a gas station and didn't know the word for oil.

Those are the only 2 times that I can remember not being able to get by in my broken, "tarzan" Spanish ("Un cortadito por favor" is a favorite) or when they couldn't get someone who spoke English to help me.
I'm sure I've run into folks who didn't understand my English or broken Spanish and I know I've had instances when I didn't fully understand whoever was helping me (sorry those Cuban accents drive me crazy), but it hasn't ever been an actual problem (like I had to come back or go somewhere else) except in those 2 instances that I can remember.
Cuban accents drive you crazy? Just tell them to slow down. But if that drives you crazy, I can just imagine what Mexican or Argentinian or Puerto Rican can do to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami