Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:11 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
Not true ... you will get a lot of looks and some laughs but you will not get shot .... on second thought you might get shot for atrocious spelling skills
"lanaguage " what the hell is that , did this idiot mean "language " .. what a moron !!!
Check out what I found in Miami on StreetViewFun.com:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
Default Comments on FOX article

Does the survey mention the number of bilingual speakers in the 58+% of Spanish speakers?
My family and I came to the US in 1963 and like most others learned English the hard way. Other than my 70 something year old grandmother all are/were bilingual. However, Spanish was spoken at home.
Living in Louisiana and visiting friends in Acadiana there were many instances that my friends and their parents spoke French at home but were obviously bilingual. The grand-mere's only spoke English. No one felt out of place and surprised.
We are all human after all.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm surprised no one has commented on the story stating that "In Miami, Spanish is becoming the primary language". It's on foxnews.com. It states that 58.5% of Miami's 2.4 million residents speak spanish. Only 27.2% speak English only. It also says: In the 1950s, it's estimated that more than 80 percent of Miami-Dade County residents were non-Hispanic whites. But in 2006, the Census Bureau estimates that number was only 18.5 percent, and in 2015 it is forecast to be 14 percent. Hispanics now make up about 60 percent.

Any comments on that??? To CTR who I know is going to reply to me, my brother called me and told me to look the story up. Have a nice day!
consider that perhaps it's just going full circle. fret not as the wheel will continue to turn.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:58 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm surprised no one has commented on the story stating that "In Miami, Spanish is becoming the primary language". It's on foxnews.com. It states that 58.5% of Miami's 2.4 million residents speak spanish. Only 27.2% speak English only. It also says: In the 1950s, it's estimated that more than 80 percent of Miami-Dade County residents were non-Hispanic whites. But in 2006, the Census Bureau estimates that number was only 18.5 percent, and in 2015 it is forecast to be 14 percent. Hispanics now make up about 60 percent.

Any comments on that??? To CTR who I know is going to reply to me, my brother called me and told me to look the story up. Have a nice day!

Spanish in Miami???? Miami is in Florida????

F L O R I D A??

The very same land discovered by a Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de León in April 2, 1513.

Ohhhh myyyyy gooooooood!!! Chaossssss ...people in Miami speak Spanishhhh!!!!!!!!

Florida???? The land of the first European (Spanish) settlement in the history of USA.

(St. Augustine Sept 8 1565, 21 years before the English settlement at Roanoke Island in Virginia Colony)

Ohh my god??? Spanish???? the same European language that has been spoken in Florida since 1513?????? ohhh my goddddd.....the first european language that was spoken by the Native Americans in the USA??? OHHH MYYY GOOOOD!!!!!

Geezz.... pal.... why are you in shock by the fact that Miami`s residents speak Spanish??? have you noticed that Florida is written in Spanish too??? I don`t want you to get a heart attack...

Do you know that Miami has three official languages??? (English,Spanish, and Creole)

Ohhhh MYYYY gggggooooooodddddddddd! Miamians speak Creole too ??? hehe

Most of the residents in Miami are fully bilingual, and if someone speaks Spanish it does not mean that he or she does not speak English as well...

Also, USA is not the only bilingual country...there is country named "Canada" (in case you don`t know the location....it`s located in North America) that is bilingual as well (English-French).

Also, Europeans usually know more than 1 language...did you know that too??? ohhh myyyy gooood....

Don`t you see that people is more competitive if they speak more than 1 language. Maybe you haven`t realized that the world is experiencing a "Globalization" process by which the people of the world are unified into a single society and function together...

Reallllyyyyy??????

Yes.

By the way, do you watch "Faux News"???

That News Channel is a "circus"... they are probably trying to portray Americans (with Spanish background) as a threat to United States.....

...you must be the typical fox news fanatic that workships Bill O`reilly and believes his non-sense BS.

Here is a sample...

YouTube - Michael Moore vs. Bill O'Reilly Pt. 1of 2

YouTube - Michael Moore vs. Bill O'Reilly Pt. 2of 2
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - The Bill O'Reilly and Geraldo Rivera Bust Up
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - Bill O'Reilly Flips Out
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - Biggest Fox News Error in History!
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - Colbert destroys O'Reilly on his own Show. 1/18/07
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - Clinton Kicks the Crap out of Fox News Part 2
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - Bill O'Reilly Gets Owned By Kid
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - BILL OREILLY *OWNED* BY U.S. IRAQ WAR VET
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - Bill O'Reilly at his best
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

YouTube - Outfoxed: Bill O'Reilly attacks 9/11 victim's son

Last edited by Eduardo983; 05-05-2009 at 04:41 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 04:39 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
This post is a year old. Why is it being brought up again now??

Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM

292 posts, read 956,439 times
Acutally its 11.5% white non-hispanic. and theres nothing alarming about that news story. lol. thats not news.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Eduardo, it would help your point if you weren't using Michael Moore

Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Eduardo, it would help your point if you weren't using Michael Moore

Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM

45 posts, read 171,573 times
I just went to a Mexican restaurant on 8th street and was quite impressed. more than half the restaurant was speaking english and the waiters all knew english with little if any accent. again it may just be that restaurat in particular but the fact that this was in 8th street and 5th avenue left me quite impressed.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:49 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
ac

I remember that the first Cuban restaurant I visited in Miami was "La esquina de Tejas". It bore some resemblance to the ruins of "La esquina de Tejas" in Havana (the place is still there with the painted sign).

It was during the early 70's and the waitresses there knew English, and some of the patrons were Americans. Their favourite dish was "sopa de pollo". So was the case of La Carreta, La Lechonera, Casablanca, El Rey del Bistec, Badia, since part of their clientele was American. There were also Cuban places in the downtown area, a couple dating back to the 50's.

The only place where nobody knew any English was "El Yayo" and "El Rincon de Castilla", a very good and somewhat expensive Spanish restaurant in 8th and 27th. The owners were 5 Spanish guys that didn't knew a word of English. According to them, "their English was like a short duration battery". They were funny as hell.

Even in the Cuban-Chinese places, Oriental, Saigon and four of five more, they had menus in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami