Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 AM

854 posts, read 2,862,322 times

Advertisements

Every memorial day weekend the "gangstas" take over SoBe. I'm wondering if anybody has been shot yet. I haven't heard of anything yet. It's only Saturday though, so there's still plenty of time left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 04:22 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Every memorial day weekend the "gangstas" take over SoBe. I'm wondering if anybody has been shot yet. I haven't heard of anything yet. It's only Saturday though, so there's still plenty of time left.
The hip hop and thug life has ruined South Beach ... any given weekend you have scores of "urban" punks cruising around just looking for trouble .. it was a beautiful , Euro chic , place to see celebs and models until the geniuses on the Miami Beach City Commission allowed this Memorial Day Hip Hop Weekend garbage a few years ago . I was told originally it was going to be an international jazz and R&B festival which would have been great ... too bad . You cannot pay me enough money to go down to South Beach this weekend

Old 05-23-2009, 04:25 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Anyone who's scared of this should stick to their gated communities.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Hey diddiyo, I am not trying to be funny, but what is going on in South Beach this weekend could be the future of this area in about 20 years. I hope I am wrong.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
The hip hop and thug life has ruined South Beach ... any given weekend you have scores of "urban" punks cruising around just looking for trouble .. it was a beautiful , Euro chic , place to see celebs and models until the geniuses on the Miami Beach City Commission allowed this Memorial Day Hip Hop Weekend garbage a few years ago . I was told originally it was going to be an international jazz and R&B festival which would have been great ... too bad . You cannot pay me enough money to go down to South Beach this weekend
Errr are you talking the S. Beach of the 60? Before this current boom it was a crack infested mess. There was a good piece on NPR about S. Beach two days ago. Residents said in the 70s no one wanted to come to S. Beach. It was seen as a waste land back then. S. Beach didn't make any real transition until the 90s. And a lot of that was due to Italian and Russian mafioso building clubs and restuarants. So lets not paint it to be some utopia. Heck you can go a few blocks off Lincoln and still see utter urban decay.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 PM

49 posts, read 172,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Hopefully not. While watching the news, I heard that they would have much more police patrolling the area this year so maybe no person(s) will get hurt.
If the event of someone getting shot occurs, I at least hope it is not some
innocent bystander just trying to enjoy vacation. Have a good memorial weekend and stay safe everyone.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:03 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Nope, you wouldn't catch me nor my friends anywhere near the beach on Memorial day weekend from the first year it started. It has been ruined with that whole Hip Hop BS thing

Old 05-24-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Anyone who's scared of this should stick to their gated communities.
It is not an issue of being scared of this , it is an issue of a once beautiful chic mecca of modeling , music and style turning into the hood .... not sure why you seemed to have taken my comments personally ... I do not enjoy seeing foul mouthed thugs with dread locks , gold teeth , gold chains and with their pants down around their thighs in droves on South Beach ... I do not enjoy crass lifestyles .... this was supposed to be an event that was to draw "urban " meaning African American professionals to the beach and the draw was not only hip hop , but R&B and Jazz ... that has changed over the last five years with the focus on gangsta rap and that other garbage ... I went there with my wife and some friends in 2003 and we saw Denzell Washington , Magic Johnson and Will Smith and his wife out there and it was great .. we saw Wayman Tisdale a jazz and NBA great
( who died last week ) on Lincoln Road and many , many black professionals from Atlanta , Charlotte , Houston and other cities ... I happened to stumble onto South Beach last year during Memorial Day Weekend and the event seemed to have been hijacked by thugs and low lifes .. nothing like 6-7 years ago ... sorry I call it as I see it . See if you find Will Smith , Denzell Washington or Magic Johnson out there now ????

Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Wild

I lived in South Beach when you were just a project.
Just a place packed with decrepits Jews living from German checks.
The entire place smelled of urine, the buzzards walking in their walkers left a trail of urine and feces.
A few young punks like myself living in efficiencies, fishing at piers, fishing sharks and smoking reefers all day.
To tell you the truth, the best place of Miami that I remember. By then there were no to techno crap B.S, no gays, no Latin or American creepos, just beach bums, American, Cuban and European.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Nope, you wouldn't catch me nor my friends anywhere near the beach on Memorial day weekend from the first year it started. It has been ruined with that whole Hip Hop BS thing
It was actually very nice the first year , but has deteriorated every year and you could not pay me enough to get down there now . South Beach in general with the exception of Lincoln Road has gone south with the African American and Hispanic "ghetto " wannabees ... last time I was there for a work related event at the South Beach Marriott , I saw a huge and frankly scary fight between two what look liked black gangs ... too bad and what an image for the wealthy spending $ 40.00 a plate at Prime 112 !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami