U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,198,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkeler23 View Post
As far as I know gringo means a white american/redneck

A white skinned person born and raised in the u.s speaking english. As their primary language. That has a long history of their family living in the u.s.

To say almost native to the u.s but we all know that the true natives of the u.s are not white,but hopefully you catch. my drift.

In latin culture gringo is not seen as"foreigner to latin culture". Its just used to refer to the stereotyped group of classic americans.
That is a very narrow definition of "gringo." Several times in my life in both Latin America and in the United States (in South Florida, specifically) I have heard the term applied to African-Americans, Asians, and northern Europeans. For example, when Patti LaBelle performed a song in Spanish at Celia Cruz's tribute show in 2003, people were delighted to see a gringa singing and dancing to salsa music with such gusto. For those who don't know, Patti LaBelle is an African-American performer who sang disco music in the 1970's. For what it's worth, I have also heard "gringo" applied to a mestizo Mexican-American who spoke almost no Spanish and knew almost nothing about his grandparents' Mexican heritage. Honestly, I cannot think of any better way to define "gringo" than to say it means "foreigner to the Latin culture" - it certainly doesn't mean "white" or "American."

Last edited by Marlin331; 04-19-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,198,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Please realize that this forum is like the series "Lost" there is reality and then there is a Parallel Miami universe that 2 particular posters created, a Cuban residing in Barcelona and a Law student in NYC, but Miami is very different from what those two posters describe when it comes to racial terminology and relations:.
Though Leo/Neng hasn't lived down there for almost thirty years, I grew up there until 2003 and go back a few times per year. My parents and a couple of friends still live down there. Many people I know have left, but for now, I still have a reason to return, and thus keep current on Miami-related issues. I realize that Miami has changed a lot since I was a child, but I have observed those changes and understand that ethnic relations in Miami are changing as we speak. If I am in a parallel universe because I speak intelligently and accurately, then so be it. I've never aspired to sound like a "regular person," as burgler puts it.

Quote:
In the real world:

In English you say "white" when referring to white non hispanic.
In Spanish you say "American" when referring to white non hispanic..
Yes, "American" is used a lot in that context. "White" is used to refer to any white person, regardless of Latin origin or culture. In the 10 years, however, I have heard some younger Latin kids use "white" to mean "non-Hispanic." I suspect this may be the case as Miami's Latin demographics become increasingly less white and more like those of NYC, where most (mulatto and mestizo, to a lesser extent) Latin kids grow up with almost no white kids and think of "white" and "Latin" as mutually exclusive terms. It's nice that Miami is becoming more racially diverse, but it's a shame for those of us who grew up down there to have to be asked where we're from based on appearance (as if it's a surprise if we answer Miami) or whether we're "white or Latin," as if they're mutually exclusive. Apparently this crap is becoming increasingly common in South Dade and West Kendall.

Quote:
Some recently arrived South Americans might use "gringo", but it's not a widely used term. I never used it myself even when I lived in South America as it is a slang term. It is not offensive though just sounds tacky & uneducated in my opinion. Back in South America we say "North Americans" when referring to white non hispanic.
Norteamericano is a much more eloquent way of saying someone is from the US or Canada, and yes, I agree that gringo is tacky.
Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami