U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM

14 posts, read 39,909 times

Advertisements

The inter-ethnic relationship has been a bit thicker in the Cuban Community. I know a Cuban female, who would never date a black Cuban to even save her life. Yet, she had married a Puerto Rican (white-Spain), and lived happily ever after. I do not think, it is a factor until the language, heritage or ethnic miscommunication or lack of knowledge would of relevance to each other. In terms of meeting each other families, it would be a bit uneven keel as the ethnic or race may be a question of trust and loyalty to one and another (couple).

Interesting stats: mulatto (51%), white (37%), black (11%), Chinese (1%). Present-day Cuba, CIA Worldfact Book.
Miami, I have no clue to the accuracy on the 700,000+ Cubans living in the state of Florida. (Does anyone have an actual breakdown?)

The future seems to be a mix-one within the Cuban Community, one happy and healthy melting pot.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:50 PM

167 posts, read 141,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Just out of sheer curiosity. I was wondering if Cuban/anglo relationships are as common in Florida as, say, Mexican-American/anglo relationships are common in the Southwest, Texas, and Califorina.

It would only be interracial if the Cuban half in the relationship was Black or Asian ... and yes I go to UM and I know many Cuban and Anglo couples .

Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,095,362 times
I'm Cuban and have several family members who are blond,blue eyed and look more anglo than most anglos.As far as Cubans dating anglos, in my family alone I can think of 6 family members who have gone out with anglos,3 are married.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:44 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,192,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Knight View Post
Interesting stats: mulatto (51%), white (37%), black (11%), Chinese (1%). Present-day Cuba, CIA Worldfact Book.
Miami, I have no clue to the accuracy on the 700,000+ Cubans living in the state of Florida. (Does anyone have an actual breakdown?)

The future seems to be a mix-one within the Cuban Community, one happy and healthy melting pot.
In the year 2000 (after the census came out), I read that 94% of Cubans and Cuban-Americans in South Florida were white. The number has probably gone down a bit, but still there is a HUGE difference in demographics between Cubans living in South Florida and Cubans living on the island of Cuba.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:49 AM

17,218 posts, read 24,678,466 times
I am glad that this thread has recognized that Cuban (and greater, "Hispanic") is not a "race."

I look froward to the day when Americans at large and members of the "Hispanic" community itself can learn to cast off the "Hispanic" label as anything more than a geographic locator.

Only in America can an Irish decent couple move to Colombia, have a kid, and then have that kid be a "Latino" when he comes back to the US!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM

118 posts, read 172,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
In the year 2000 (after the census came out), I read that 94% of Cubans and Cuban-Americans in South Florida were white. The number has probably gone down a bit, but still there is a HUGE difference in demographics between Cubans living in South Florida and Cubans living on the island of Cuba.
wat is the difference?

Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 PM

South Florida (Cubans): 94% white, 6% other (mulatto, Chinese, black)
Cuba: 51% mulatto, 37% white, 11% black, 1% Chinese

See the difference? Cuba has a more racially mixed (and diverse) population of Cubans than South Florida does. The difference wasn't always this stark though, as I have read that Cuba was estimated to be 70% white in 1959 when Castro took over. What happened? 1) Lots of white Cubans left the island (and their children, who would have likely had more white Cuban children, grew up in Miami) 2) More mixing happened between blacks/whites than happened/happens in Miami

Old 06-23-2008, 05:23 PM

74 posts, read 56,815 times
Go to Wal-Mart in Doral or Homestead and tell me all Cubans are "white" in color down there. Some may not be of Cuban heritage, but the overwhelming majority of Hispanics in Miami are Cuban, and if you've bee through any of the lower income areas of Miami lately - it is a very colorful world to say the least. Having visited Cuba on multiple occasions, it is definitely more diverse and integrated, but to say that Miami is a haven for white Cubans is an overstatement.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMIwolf View Post
Go to Wal-Mart in Doral or Homestead and tell me all Cubans are "white" in color down there. Some may not be of Cuban heritage, but the overwhelming majority of Hispanics in Miami are Cuban, and if you've bee through any of the lower income areas of Miami lately - it is a very colorful world to say the least. Having visited Cuba on multiple occasions, it is definitely more diverse and integrated, but to say that Miami is a haven for white Cubans is an overstatement.
No, the "overwhelming majority" of Hispanics in Miami are NOT Cuban. Cubans make up only 40% of the Hispanic population in Miami-Dade County, and probably only about 20-25% of the Hispanic population in Homestead (NOT exactly known as a Cuban area!). Those "brown" Latinos are probably Mexican and Central American, not Cuban. Even Hialeah is majority white, believe it or not. There are a LOT of mixed Cubans there but still, most are white.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:49 PM

74 posts, read 56,815 times
There are some 19th century scientific practices that would definitely assist this thread like anthropometry - analyzing facial characteristics with regards to race, and craniometry - the science of measuring skulls. These methods might prove more useful for those who want to categorize using skin color...

Are you saying that only 'white' Cubans are rafters or visa lottery winners? I mean the vast majority of Cubans that came here after the mid-1960's obviously weren't black or mulatto, but sheesh, I don't think I'm white anymore if what you're sayin' is true!

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6876/marielrefugeesuh2.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by MIAMIwolf; 06-23-2008 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: pictures for Crisp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami