U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2010, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
391 posts, read 436,374 times
Reputation: 250

Advertisements

I didn't read all posts but, I am "anglo" and married and had a child with a cuban-american. Funny thing is many people think I'm cuban (I speak cuban-spanish and have brown hair and eyes) but people all think my son (green eyed with no spanish skills) is anglo. I'm sure he'll be the "white boy" in middle school. To add my ex-husband is also brown haired and eyed (genes are funny that way). And my father is consistantly mistaken for hispanic. We are of German/English decent.

 
Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 AM
 
248 posts, read 508,547 times
Reputation: 161
Miami

I think that your son should know Spanish, he might need it in the future.
Most Cubans in Miami come from Gallegos, Northern Spanish, not different at all from many regions in Germany.
Only a minority of Germans are "Aryan" looking, most of them could pass for Northern Spanish if they had a better diet and proper clothing.
The same goes for English.
I own a little hotel by the Med and I spot them because of clothing and because they are larger and fatter, and of course, they are paler.
The only people you can spot right away are Italians (they raise hell) and Scandinavians.

Last edited by Neng.; 04-12-2010 at 03:22 AM..
 
Old 04-12-2010, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
391 posts, read 436,374 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng. View Post
Miami

I think that your son should know Spanish, he might need it in the future.
Most Cubans in Miami come from Gallegos, Northern Spanish, not different at all from many regions in Germany.
Only a minority of Germans are "Aryan" looking, most of them could pass for Northern Spanish if they had a better diet and proper clothing.
The same goes for English.
I own a little hotel by the Med and I spot them because of clothing and because they are larger and fatter, and of course, they are paler.
The only people you can spot right away are Italians (they raise hell) and Scandinavians.
Trust me I've tried to get him to learn Spanish and he takes Spanish in school but he is very resistant. I am the only one in my family that speaks it and know that it is very important. I think he denies his hispanic side because of his fathers complete lack of involvement in his life (that's a whole other issue).
 
Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 AM
 
248 posts, read 508,547 times
Reputation: 161
Neutre

Those that think that Hispanic is a race are just plain ignorant. Not their blame, ignorants are only guilty of being ignorant.

Yes, turkics are a race, and yes, they are as white as Johnny Winter.
 
Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 24,852,415 times
Reputation: 16438
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
I didn't read all posts but, I am "anglo" and married and had a child with a cuban-american. Funny thing is many people think I'm cuban (I speak cuban-spanish and have brown hair and eyes) but people all think my son (green eyed with no spanish skills) is anglo. I'm sure he'll be the "white boy" in middle school. To add my ex-husband is also brown haired and eyed (genes are funny that way). And my father is consistantly mistaken for hispanic. We are of German/English decent.
Unless you speak the language you will always be a white boy, that's just how it goes. I'm Brasilian but I don't speak perfect portuguese so I would never be considered Brasilian by other brasilians.. even my grandma doesnt consider me to be brasilian and her and my grandpa both came from brasil.

Why is he resistant to learning Spanish? It is very important to know here in the USA no matter where you live and it is a great quality to have.
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,201,011 times
Reputation: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Unless you speak the language you will always be a white boy, that's just how it goes.
This is confusing and erroneously correlates color/race with the ability to speak Spanish. There are plenty of white people in Miami (and in Latin America, for that matter) who speak Spanish and plenty who do not.
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 PM
 
112 posts, read 236,955 times
Reputation: 55
Yeah very common cuban girls like to date white men like the asians chicks. not all white men like cubans and only date white or asian girls
 
Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 AM
 
248 posts, read 508,547 times
Reputation: 161
Crisp

It's just like building sand castles. They live in the XVth Century.
They are so ridiculous with that "white" stuff, crippled minds.
There are more white people in Brazil than in the entire south.
Where are they brainwashed? At the church?

Last edited by Neng.; 04-14-2010 at 02:51 AM..
 
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,201,011 times
Reputation: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng. View Post
Crisp

It's just like building sand castles. They live in the XVth Century.
They are so ridiculous with that "white" stuff, crippled minds.
There are more white people in Brazil than in the entire south.
Where are they brainwashed? At the church?
No, that is certainly not taught in the church. Good pastors teach their parishioners to love thy neighbor, and especially if thy neighbor is Christian. The "white" concept is popular pretty much anywhere there are large numbers of European/light-skinned Caucasian people or their descendants living among large numbers of people of other races, such as in all of the Americans, South Africa, and even in some large European cities, nowadays. However, Americans have especially taken to like it. Unfortunately, some Anglo-Americans forget that they don't have a monopoly on "whiteness" and that Europeans settled virtually all of the New World, as well as parts of Africa, Australia, and even small parts of Asia.

It's a shame to hear educated people on this forum (a certain University of Miami student comes to mind) routinely misusing the word "white" as a synonoym of "ethnic neutral" or "non-Hispanic." They should really know better, especially because they live in Miami.
 
Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 AM
 
248 posts, read 508,547 times
Reputation: 161
Crisp

But it's quite strange, it seems that for them any light skinned monolingual person that doesn't speak Spanish is an "Anglo".

I mean, you take a Greek, an Armenian, a Swabian, one Irish, one Polish, an Italian, a Jew and a Cherokee indian and a light Mulatto, you put them all in a blender and strip them of their culture and you have an "Anglo".

Amazing.

Even Jews are Anglos, American did what Romans and Europeans could never do.

Well, who knows? Maybe in 2.000 years there will be "Euros" speaking a common language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 AM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top