Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 AM

13 posts, read 62,134 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously contemplating a move to Miami and just returned from a week long stay with our 3 children (12, 8 and 6).

We stayed in Coconut Grove and explored there, Coral Gables, Pinecrest and Key Biscayne as areas we would like to live.

Things I noticed:

Children walking to school by themselves. I saw an elementary age boy skateboarding with his backpack to school one morning.

Women jogging by themselves at night.

People walking everywhere at all times of the day and night.

Friendly people.

People speaking different languages. One morning at Starbucks I heard German, French and Spanish in the span of 15 minutes.

People walking, biking, jogging and playing in the parks at all times of the day.

We walked to restaurants and I never once felt unsafe or feared for my children (there was one area of Coconut Grove I did not venture into and made sure the doors were locked while driving through, but other than that, Coconut Grove was wonderful).

A lot of people speaking Spanish. None of us speak Spanish and we had no problems. Everyone we encountered could also speak English and the one time we had a problem at an ice cream shop we muddled through with smiles and thank yous and it was all good.

The traffic was not any worse than any other city.

Beautiful architecture.

One of my sons got sick with a stomach virus while we were there. We were afraid of dehydration and so my husband took him to Mercy's ER. They were in and out within 2 hours which is not bad for an ER visit.

While I know this is just a week-long snapshot of life, it left a very good impression on everyone in this family.

The kids didn't want to leave and are ready for us to move immediately (and we only went to the beach 3 times while there - once to South Beach and 2 on Key Biscayne).

To those of you who are fortunate to live there, you are blessed and I hope to join you soon as a resident.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmama View Post

We stayed in Coconut Grove and explored there, Coral Gables, Pinecrest and Key Biscayne as areas we would like to live ... South Beach

Add Brickell, much of South Miami, and Dadeland/east Kendall, maybe a few others.

If you 1) stick to these areas, 2) remain economically viable and financially solvent, both short-term and long-term, and are 3) culturally open-minded and flexible, then your Miami experience should indeed be pleasant.

Most people who are unhappy in Miami fall short in at least one of the above criteria.

Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 AM

69 posts, read 225,643 times
Sounds awesome.I am really excited about visiting Miami.
I would also be excited about living with so many cute Hispanics I even enjoy looking at the men.
Too much information? Perhaps.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:33 AM

13 posts, read 62,134 times
Nope! I live in a suburb south of Nashville where it is very conservative. I was a stay at home mom, but now help run our internet business which is growing. If the growth continues, we will be able to pick up and move within the year.

Miami is different from where I am currently living and I love it. You don't see kids walking to school around here, nor do I go out for a walk without my German Shepherd by my side. And we are considered to be living in one of the most affluent counties in the country (and safest).

Miami was great and I can't wait to come back!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 AM

470 posts, read 1,193,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Add Brickell, much of South Miami, and Dadeland/east Kendall, maybe a few others.

If you 1) stick to these areas, 2) remain economically viable and financially solvent, both short-term and long-term, and are 3) culturally open-minded and flexible, then your Miami experience should indeed be pleasant.

Most people who are unhappy in Miami fall short in at least one of the above criteria.

Good Luck!
1) No, to live wise, yes, stick to the nice areas obviously, but like most people know, you can go to a so so area, a ghetto, etc. and nothing will happen, you just have to know how to move around in those areas. Of course you could completely avoid them, but of course if something is going to happen in a ghetto area, it's while walking on the street, but if you are driving with your doors locked you have nothing to worry about.

2) Mmm if that's what I think you meant, than DUH, that's for everywhere.

3) This type of thing is sad. Why sugar coat it? "Culturally open-minded and flexible?" no, the real thing to say is NOT RACIST or IGNORANT. You saying that means that people that aren't "cuturally open-minded" just want to live where everyone is white, and ONLY speak English. SAD

Your Miami experience is the REAL Miami experience, and the Miami experience is actually even better than that.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,470 times
Her Miami experience is the REAL one only if your household income is above $150,000 a year. Only then you can reside in the most desirable areas of the County, where your kids MIGHT walk safely to school (not recommended any where in FL, sex offerders are in every block, do some research). Racist people are dominant in So. Fl. Every nationality hates the other, whites, blacks, Cubans, Nicaraguans, Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, is like a civil war. Just ask a Puerto Rican how he feels about Mexicans, or an African American about Cubans. Don't be naive lady, Miami is not all that, unless you are upper class.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:45 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
The problem here is property prices & taxes but if you can pay your home cash you really don't need 150K a year. Taxes in very good areas are about 10-20k(Pinecrest, East Kendall etc), and in middle class hispanic areas are about 3k-9k.

Someone that has their own internet business has a huge advantage as they don't depend on the local job market.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM

27 posts, read 58,134 times
I agree with the original poster!! We just came from a stay in Miami & would love to be able to relocate my family. I've always wanted to live in MIA, but after reading all of the negative posts was almost having 2nd thoughts. Then I realized, these people are complaining about things that are everywhere-traffic, high taxes ect. They even complain about how sunny & warm it is!!!! I think Miami is beautiful & people should feel lucky to live there. So many people move away & end up coming back. The only real issue I feel is a problem is finding a well paying, secure job. If you have your own company, then make the move!! Good luck!!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
OP: Perhaps Miami would be a good fit for you. I know many people who really enjoy living there, and you might as well. There are plenty of nice, safe areas for middle class, upper middle class, and upper class people; no need to be super well-off to enjoy living in Miami.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Her Miami experience is the REAL one only if your household income is above $150,000 a year. Only then you can reside in the most desirable areas of the County, where your kids MIGHT walk safely to school (not recommended any where in FL, sex offerders are in every block, do some research). Racist people are dominant in So. Fl. Every nationality hates the other, whites, blacks, Cubans, Nicaraguans, Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, is like a civil war. Just ask a Puerto Rican how he feels about Mexicans, or an African American about Cubans. Don't be naive lady, Miami is not all that, unless you are upper class.
Whoah! I wouldn't say that racist people are "dominant" in South Florida. There are certainly racists, but regular people certainly outnumber them. Civil war between ethnic groups? Besides the stark segregation between whites and blacks in most areas, no other tensions are that serious. There are a few points of minor tension (i.e. established Cuban-Americans not happy about newer, non-established immigrants) but I doubt the OP would get involved in any of that. Honestly, most of the hostility I have ever witnessed in regards to ethnic or racial groups in Miami takes place right here on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami