Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:35 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times

Advertisements

Just out of sheer curiosity. I was wondering if Cuban/anglo relationships are as common in Florida as, say, Mexican-American/anglo relationships are common in the Southwest, Texas, and Califorina.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:54 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Since almost all Cubans in Miami are of European descent (white), Cuban/Anglo relationships are rarely ever "interracial." To answer your question, these kinds of relationships are very common. I grew up with loads of 1/2 Cuban 1/2 Anglo kids who were the product of mixed Hispanic/Anglo marriage.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Like Mr. Crispy said, they usually aren't interracial relationships but this type of relationship is ubiquitous especially in Broward County. It is not so common in Palm Beach County due to low Cuban population and relatively common but not as common in Dade County due to low Anglo population. God knows how many "half Cubans" I have ran across though.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
This is a little bit off-topic but still fits into the theme of the discussion: Lots of people (not from South Florida, obviously) get nervous when they find out that it's common for elementary schools in nice, middle class areas of Miami-Dade county to be "only" 15-25% non-Hispanic white with most of the other students being Hispanic. Due to so much Hispanic/non-Hispanic white mixed marriage, lots of the "Hispanic" kids are actually only 1/2 Hispanic and many grow up to either not really identify with being Hispanic or not to speak Spanish at all. My mom is a public schoolteacher and year after year she tells me that about 1/2 of her "Hispanic" pupils have one non-Hispanic white parent, and that most of these children really don't speak Spanish at all. Sorry for that detour; back to mixed dating/relationships!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Very common.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I hope so because I think Cuban men are SO sexy. Where do I line up to get my own??

Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 AM

28 posts, read 38,841 times
I would say that interracial dating is not very widespread. I have noticed that most latinos do not to mix with Anglos very often. In the case of white Cubans, they most likely were white in Cuba before coming here, and kept a white bloodline. In older, more established areas of Miami, i.e. South Miami, the Grove, Miami Shores, to name a few, there are more chances of finding really 'mixed' neighborhoods where people consummate interracial marriages, assimilate, and prosper. Newer, or "fresher" areas of Miami, such as Doral, but pretty much all of west and south Dade, have all most none of this. Even more important is that these "ethnicities" or "nationalities," however Crispy wants to call them, almost never mix. They are for the most part homogonous, rarely crossing those imaginary cultural boundaries. Their cultures seem quite similar to an outsider, but in fact are quite different. It's a shame, but this is perpetuated by the lack of integration in Miami. I also think that higher class latinos intermingle less than those of limited economic means, who experiment or cross over more often.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:35 AM

2 posts, read 12,302 times
Hi, Don't take this the wrong way. I am a white latin. It really seems to be that many americans more so in the north have a sterotype of spanish speakers in general. Cuba is a country with white black and native, some mixed with all. Anglo is a word that is used to describe english speaking white americans in many ways. A average cuban american with a person of non cuban descent is no where near considered a interracial marriage. I can see you compared cubans to mexicans. Mexico is a country that is mostly of mixed white and native, so in that way (racially) they cannot be compared. You cannot tell a average white cuban from any other white person, unless they are either doing something to make themselves ethnically diverse. Most cubans are of spanish descent, (in south florida anyways), Spain is a european country primarily white. (some immigrants) If you put a white cuban and a white british person next to each other your not going to tell a difference. (spanish love beaches so they might be more tan then a brit that has never went to a beach or who doesnt visit one) I spent some time in the northeast, and I heard a bit of things about mexicans that &quot;look&quot; white, < sounds a bit funny, thats because they are white. Mexico - 15 percent white Colombia - 30 percent Brazil - 50 percent Argentina - 97 percent These are all spanish speaking nations, with very different cultures, mainly just sharing a language and a few other things. Some people seem to think they are all the same. The usa people who themselves consider themselves anglo, most likely have spanish blood or somewhere in the gene pool, 50 percent of the UK share many common genotypes of Spain, not quite as high as Ireland its next door neighbor who is 90 something percent but still a very high number. UK was occupied by the gauls and the norse for a bit so yea there were alot of mixing obviously. Anyways went way off topic, but to end this, if you yourself went to any latin american country where there is a european population, no one could tell your anglo or w/e until you speak. Some things like red hair and things are very un common in some places but they are in the usa as well, just a big population so yea theres stil a bit. Argentina is famous for there blonde pale women whom most are spanish or italian. It comes to me that some americans have a xenophobia of putting the word spanish and white in the same sentence because the portrait in your head of a spanish speaker is a mexican with little european bloodline. Anyways best of luck, and these things never come up with younger people last thing you care about in a girl is he families heritage correct? i would hope its not a deciding factor. Best of luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 PM

28 posts, read 38,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbeach2 View Post
It comes to me that some americans have a xenophobia of putting the word spanish and white in the same sentence because the portrait in your head of a spanish speaker is a mexican!
That's because if you go anywhere esle in the country the word Hispanic now means Mexican. There are no other U.S. cities like Miami with so many Hispanic identities. You can't blame people for this, they are used to Mexican culture being blasted at them, and since Spanish is the common denominator, most Americans don't care if they are Mexican or whatever else;they are hispanic.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 PM

167 posts, read 199,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Just out of sheer curiosity. I was wondering if Cuban/anglo relationships are as common in Florida as, say, Mexican-American/anglo relationships are common in the Southwest, Texas, and Califorina.

I did not realize that Cuban was a race ... I know white , black and Asian Cubans ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami