Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
all the ale houses are great spots....
I posted in another thread about the affliction of chains in Miami and lack of good local spots. I just don't see how it is so acceptable to say, "Oh, Hooligan's closed down? I'll just go to the Alehouse instead. No big deal."

Yeah, I had issues with the smoke at Hooligan's as well, but at least it had local flavor. You can find an Alehouse in just about any city, so it just isn't as interesting, IMHO. It's kind of like the Starbucks of sports bars - not that it doesn't do what it does well, just that it is not unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:30 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I posted in another thread about the affliction of chains in Miami and lack of good local spots. I just don't see how it is so acceptable to say, "Oh, Hooligan's closed down? I'll just go to the Alehouse instead. No big deal."

Yeah, I had issues with the smoke at Hooligan's as well, but at least it had local flavor. You can find an Alehouse in just about any city, so it just isn't as interesting, IMHO. It's kind of like the Starbucks of sports bars - not that it doesn't do what it does well, just that it is not unique.

How is little Hoolies across from the Falls doing ? Are they still open ?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Looks like they may still be open. I went to their website (which is a different site from big hollis) and they have events listed for June still. Here is the link to their website Little Hoolies Bar & Grill (http://littlehoolies.com/special_events.php - broken link)

I wonder why they closed down? If the new Flanigans a few miles south took away some of their money?

Old 06-21-2008, 06:29 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Looks like they may still be open. I went to their website (which is a different site from big hollis) and they have events listed for June still. Here is the link to their website Little Hoolies Bar & Grill (http://littlehoolies.com/special_events.php - broken link)

I wonder why they closed down? If the new Flanigans a few miles south took away some of their money?

I have a friend that SWEARS by Flanigans..I absolutely hate their food and lack of selection. Remember when Flanigans used to be Pumpernickel ?? Then Sizzler....then I don't remember what after that.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,594 times
Quote:
Little Hoolie's is still open and going strong. They have no plans to close anytime soon.

Big Hoolie's closed down due to lack of rent being paid by the owner. They were usually busy, so it had nothing to do with that. It was poor ownership.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:40 PM

177 posts, read 571,039 times
Quote:
..where as Hooligans allowed smoking inside and because of that, it was sub-par comared to Ale House. I for one got sick of the smoke and only visited Hoolie's on special events. The last time being the World Cup back in 2006.
Thats what made it so great!!! Smokey bars are going the way of the dinosaur and its kind of a shame. For some reason a smokey saloon attracts a certain kind of unique element that you won't find in a more family/health friendly environment. Besides we live in a smog free city,inhaling a lil second hand cig smoke every once in a while is good for those virgen lungs of ours.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:

i agree a 100% Big chains are homogenizing the Miami experience. Alehouse is pretty decent, but I have never met the same type of colorful characters that make Miami such a wonderful place to live in that place, just the same cookie cutter types.

Does anyone remember Tommy's? Why did that wonderful place do under, such a lost treasure.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I vomit when I hear that low class cuban crap
Its actually a puerto rican creation. Call me out of touch or nostalgic but most respectable Cubans I know, feel its a giant step backwards.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:17 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
My real fond memories were of CJ's specially Tuesday quarter beer night (you didn't even have to try to get laid it just happened),and Metro 107 with rockin' bands.Yes Tobacco road is the icon and one of the few non rap/latin places to go to see live music.

I have nothing against latin/rap music,but I play rock/metal and can tell you the Tampa area offers alot more in diversity that way.Plus Orlando is only a hour and half drive away also,Daytona two hours away.

Little Hooligan's is about the only bar decent left down there and even that place wasn't all that,from what I remember anyhow.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,321 times
Default BIG Hoolies I mean Carrington's Is back and re opened better than Ever!

They have a new special house beer all day and all night 2.50 a ice cold glass... Plus 65 new hdtv's and live music.. The ladies are all over men.. it's the new place to be!

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami