U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,463,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernyankee View Post
Your right on the money. Most (if not all cubans) are political refugees not asylees.

Here is the proof. Once cubans get here and establish their citizenship here in the USA, they go right back to cuba to visit or vacation. How can you say that you fear repercussions from your former communist government alliance and then go back to that country?
Ask to see if any Russian or Chinese asylees are going back to either country? Their not, because they know what the repercussions will be.

The law needs to change to identify cubans for what they are, political refugees just like everybody else.

Cubans can go to Cuba and not be a citizen. You can go as a legal resident alien.

Hate to tell you, once a legal alien, or a citizen, we are protected by this country, even if that means didly in Cuba. If someone wants to get you, they will, citizenship, residency or nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,463,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiphol View Post
vpcats: First, i apologize. I didn't meant to attack anyone on the board; I get really ehated about this discussion whether it's on this board or at a restaurant. What I want to know is why do you support the policy? Are you as vocal when a boatload of dead Chinese people show up in California? Do you care when the Haitians are immediately arrested when they step on Floridian sand? Or when the Coast Guard takes every measure to intercept them in the open sea? Do you care that there are militiamen patrolling the borders in Texas and Arizona shooting at Mexicans? Are you concerned that Haitians are starving, being killed off by roving gangs, and largely ignored by the corrupt government? Or how about when the Chinese citizen who speaks up against the government disappears forever, much like in Cuba, right? Cubans do not deserve the special treatment the government is providing them. That is what I believe. There are people in countries worse off then Cuba and they do not get the same treatment, can you explain that? You left Cuba many years ago and that was a different time. Do you think the young Cubans trying to land here have the same agenda that you or any other Cuban that came here legally or illegally twenty years ago had? How is it that the news is there on the beach to film the minute they land on shore? I thought if they are caught in the water it's back to Cuba for them? Is the Coast Guard just letting them slip through? Is that ethical or legal? Cuba is a tourist destination for every other country but the US. The nation is not hurt by the U.S. embargo at all. The Cubans leaving are coming here for political and economic reasons. I don't doubt that conditions are harsh on the island but I just can't believe how blinded people here can be about the boat people and Castro. I sat and watch a co-worker have a ten minute tirade calling him Satan with no concrete facts to back this up. How is it Cubans believe Castro is the devil when Hitler exterminated 8 million people, Idi Amin had millions of his own people killed, Chairman Mao had how many millions killed, the U.S. dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan, how about Saddam?
Like I said, I don't want to take away from Cubans and thir plight, but I would rather be in Cuba then Afghanistan, China, Haiti, Iraq, and most of those small asian countries.
I don't think you insulted anybody on the board in particular, except me of course but, in general, I don't think you have a right, or the expertise to call anyone a moron.

I stick up for the Cubans because I am Cuban. The Haitians didn't kill any of my relatives. The Chinese didn't either. Neither did Hitler. If you were Jewish, or Chinese, or Haitian, I bet you'd take issue with anyone who said anything against your people or ethnicity.

I do think Cubans have a hard life and I think they had it much harder before it was easy for us to send money, medicines, clothing, to Cuba. Basically, most Cubans are supported by other Cubans who are in the US so they CAN survive if they have someone on this side.

I'm not comparing Cuba to Hitler's Germany, or to North Korea, or to Haiti. I'm comparing it to a island that is 90 miles away from my home and which was my home at one time.

I would be in favor of ANYONE, from any country, any nationality, to be free and to have the opportunities we Cubans have had but just because they don't have it, doesn't mean that I'm going to want for Cubans not to have it either. Do you know that Sweden is taking in Iraquis?

Things are what they are and if Cubans have preferential treatment, then so be it. You see, I'm selfish in this respect. We're talking my flesh and blood.

BTW, I've been here 46 years and have never visited Cuba again, citizenship and all (sorry, this last sentence is meant for Northernyankee).

Old 07-01-2008, 04:57 PM

13,773 posts, read 32,684,312 times
closed for mod review

Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 AM

13,773 posts, read 32,684,312 times
Thread has been reopened. Please keep your post on the original topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or